REPAIRED: Structural Problem?

whp4262

Re: Structural Problem?

My Cyclone has the same aluminum piece going across the front but it's not structural to the frame. As cookie said it's just part of the compartment framing and to give the skin some extra support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

The aluminum side walls that sit on the upper deck steel framing should have two 1x1 pieces of wood in each base plate. This fills the void in the aluminum tube for structural support and provides screw retention for attaching side walls to the outer lip of the upper frame deck.

In our 2008 there was only one piece of wood on each side and this caused the aluminum base plate to pancake and collapse and then caused aluminum welds to break all around that area. Our damage was very similar to yours and had nothing to do with the steel frame or pinbox area. Ours occurred during warranty and Heartland had to replace one wall and re-support the aluminum base plate. This changed the way they filled the base plate void on future coaches which eliminated this issue on future coaches

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

I noticed that the front crossmember welds are broken. Mine were also and it was rewelded and it removed some flexing. Someone needs to inspect the corner of the frame where it goes from horizontal under the BR to vertical inside the front compartment. Also after the repairs to our Horn the shop found that the ODS wall in front of the BR slide had broken welds in the aluminum frame work. There is a short verical moulding below and in front of the BR slide. Have it removed, lift the trailer again. If the front part of the cut (factory installed) in the wall moves up over a 1/2", you have an issue with the aluminum frame in the wall. That can be repaired by peeling back the outer skin, welding the breaks and installing gussets.

BTW, make sure the aluminum frame work that is exposed now for the front compartment door are secured with GOOD screws. All mine had either rusted off or had broken. If that happens, everytime you lift the trailer and tow, the outer moldings will pull away the the sides. Don't ask how I know.

StrongJava

Good morning Heartlanders!

I thought I'd come back to the group and updated at the end of last year, but it appears I did not. My New Year's gift was that Heartland agreed to make the repairs at the factory if I go the unit up there. So I had temporary welds done by a guy I know here locally, and we just completed the trip there and back. The coach rode so much better coming back; now I know what it should look like. And I got some money out of the local dealer from where I bought the unit. Not much, but enough to offset some of the cost of making the trip up to Indiana.

And, of course, I happened to be driving in to the Heartland compound when I noticed the Dually Depot there. I just had to give them some of my money too. :)

All is much better now, and I look forward to continuing towards our next stage of full-timing. I do have a number of questions for other owners and I'll start posting them soon new threads.

Thanks again to all of your for your knowledge and guidance, and thanks Heartland!

Tim

Dean-Pam

Tim,

How long did it take for the repairs at the factory? Glad all worked out for you.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Good morning Heartlanders!

I thought I'd come back to the group and updated at the end of last year, but it appears I did not. My New Year's gift was that Heartland agreed to make the repairs at the factory if I go the unit up there. So I had temporary welds done by a guy I know here locally, and we just completed the trip there and back. The coach rode so much better coming back; now I know what it should look like. And I got some money out of the local dealer from where I bought the unit. Not much, but enough to offset some of the cost of making the trip up to Indiana.

And, of course, I happened to be driving in to the Heartland compound when I noticed the Dually Depot there. I just had to give them some of my money too. :)

All is much better now, and I look forward to continuing towards our next stage of full-timing. I do have a number of questions for other owners and I'll start posting them soon new threads.

Thanks again to all of your for your knowledge and guidance, and thanks Heartland!

Tim

Good to hear that Heartland took care of you. :)

StrongJava

The repairs took the whole week. I was amazed, because on Monday when I dropped off the rig and asked if I could come back Tues or Wed to see it apart, they said if I wanted to see it apart I need to come back *that* afternoon. Wow. Turns of the rest of the week is primarily spend on fiberglass curing, etc.

They even put on what stickers they had. The only part missing is the right half of the mountain that goes of the left side of the coach (or, port side aft for any sailors out there). So, if anyone has a spare sticker laying around... :)

porthole

Retired

The repairs took the whole week. I was amazed, because on Monday when I dropped off the rig and asked if I could come back Tues or Wed to see it apart, they said if I wanted to see it apart I need to come back *that* afternoon. Wow. Turns of the rest of the week is primarily spend on fiberglass curing, etc.

They even put on what stickers they had. The only part missing is the right half of the mountain that goes of the left side of the coach (or, port side aft for any sailors out there). So, if anyone has a spare sticker laying around... :)

Port quarter - abaft the beam ?
:rolleyes: