Resetting network modems and routers

Oregon_Camper

No harm done by simply turning them off/on.

You might consider backing up your routers configuration and keeping that file somewhere like Dropbox. Then if the router ever dies or needs a "hard reset" (wiping all config data) all you have to do is restore all your setting by importing the backup file.

danemayer

My Pepwave Surf On the Go runs indefinitely without needing a reboot. Also haven't had a problem with the Verizon MiFi.

My router at home slowed down and needed a reboot at least weekly. I don't know the brand as it was private-labeled to Skywerx, the internet provider. I switched to a Trendnet router and am fine.

TxCowboy

We reboot ours about every two weeks just as a procedural thing, same as restarting your cellphone and PC/laptop every week or so.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a Motorola high speed modem hooked up to Comcast/Xfinity.

I unplug it to restart it when it starts to slow down . . . maybe once a month.

I've not seen the need to have to reboot my Belkin wireless router.

Bones

When I had Comcast I would have to restart my Modem about every day and restart my router after that. Internet would be working then all of a sudden nothing. Since we have switched to Verizon Fios I have not had those issues. I only reset once in a while.

porthole

Retired
My original post had to do with the house modem and router. Every time I have a called with a service issue the first request is an on-off-on.
I really don't like the cable service, but in New Jersey we are very limited. Cable companies here all get 10-15 year contracts.
Verizon is not running any new copper anywhere and fios is nto available in my development.

The verizon mifi for the trailer has to have the battery taken out to reset it if I leave it plugged in to AC power to long.