Residential Fridge Headaches

aRAYwego

I have had an issue with my res. refer since day one. The refer side never gets below 44*(set at 33*) freezer 20* (set at 5*) no matter if I'm on inverter or shore power. Today I had the idea that maybe I need to get the dust bunnies out of the back to help it cool. After the lengthy process of removing the fridge, and figuring out there is really no place to clean out, I noticed the back wall is very hot to the touch, 105* to be exact.(afternoon sun side with 110* weather outside) I'm wondering if I am asking too much of the fridge? Does anyone think it might help to cover the wall behind the fridge with that bubble foil that is used in the windows? I feel like I'm putting the refer in an oven and asking it to do the impossible. What are your thoughts?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You said the back of the fridge was hot. after you had it out for a bit did you put you hand on the wall to see how hot it was ? mine is set at 0* freezer and 37* fridge and it holds that temp all the time with no problems at all.
Maybe its to close to the wall. While you have it out for a while see if the temp starts to drop.

I believe the best temp setting is 0 & 37

aRAYwego

The wall temp has dropped but I think we are finally getting a break from the direct sun. The fridge has been in the middle of the kitchen for about an hour with no change in the temp.. Its showing 48* on the fridge side per the thermometer inside. I checked the thermometer with a therm gun and it shows 48* as well. The control on the front of the door says 33*. As for the freezer, control shows 5* but therm inside shows 19* and is confirmed with therm gun. I just set freezer to 0*, will see what happens. I don't know.

aRAYwego

After setting the freezer to 0* the temp inside fell quickly from 19* to 12*. Perhaps the freezer wasn't cold enough to chill the fridge sufficiently? Think I'll skip the foil on the wall of the fridge hole for now. Since I already removed the "wall" above the fridge I will just leave it off to see what happens and make it easier if I need to pull the fridge again. Trial and error. lol

ksucats

James: We were sitting in 107 degree weather a couple of weeks ago and our refer kept the freezer at -2 and the refer side at 37 without any problem. You've probably already done this but make sure that your doors are closing tightly - do the dollar bill test -- that is take a dollar bill, 'pin' it between the door seal and the refrigerator beam and see how easy it is to move the bill. If you can move it easily your door is not sealing sufficiently and it is letting a lot of air in/out. I seem to recall a couple of posts some time back where the seals had to be replaced on a refrigerator. Now, that said, I believe that the refrigerator has a one year warranty (service) but parts are longer. Give the maker a shout and see what they can do for you.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Dan,
Mine is now starting to beep ever so slightly now that the refrigerator is getting a little older. I think the inverter we have is border line and really should have been a larger inverter.
Dave do you have the Magnum 1000w in there now or did they use something else before ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bones

Dave do you have the Magnum 1000w in there now or did they use something else before ?

Yes. Still have the same one. It was replace earlier when I had fridge problems. It probably should have been a 1500 to handle the initial start. It is still working though so I just keep an eye on it.

Bones

I haven't had any problems with mine. I always have the big 2000w whole coach invertor to fall back on.

If you want my honest opinion I think the fridge is just not a good fridge. When I have the door open I can see the lights go really dim if the compressor comes on. Instead of just replacing the fridge when it was bad new, they repaired it and replaced the compressor.

If its still pulled out is the fan running underneath next to the compressor. I am a Electrolux warranty authorized servicer.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
We just experienced a failure with our Frigidaire Gallery side by side. 2015 LM Savanna bought April 2014. Service Tech in Albuquerque says all freon gone, compressor and fans working properly but no gas to work. His recommendation is to purchase new versus repair. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar failure. Tech questioned why the door locks were installed with long screws into the box and why the rear attach Ell was put on with screws into box. I was told that Heartland stopped using the heavy bail locks screwed onto the top of the box due to penetration of sealed system.

jbeletti

We just experienced a failure with our Frigidaire Gallery side by side. 2015 LM Savanna bought April 2014. Service Tech in Albuquerque says all freon gone, compressor and fans working properly but no gas to work. His recommendation is to purchase new versus repair. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar failure. Tech questioned why the door locks were installed with long screws into the box and why the rear attach Ell was put on with screws into box. I was told that Heartland stopped using the heavy bail locks screwed onto the top of the box due to penetration of sealed system.

Hogan - contact Heartland Customer Service by phone right away today to get some direction from them. I know early failures due to screws in the refrigerant line was covered by warranty. They all required a refer replacement and many were advised to buy a replacement locally (Lowes etc). Unsure where we're at on all that today but please call them ASAP.