Rig length for fulltiming

Aussiecat

We're in the process of planning for becoming full timers and had settled on a 5er around 42', however we've read in a lot of blogs where they regretted going long and we're looking at downsizing. We don't plan on using the 5er for general camping as we have a hybrid for state parks etc. as the 5er will be our home shouldn't we err on the side of livability. I'm interested in hearing the opinion of the long timers. Many thanks.

danemayer

Hi Aussiecat,

We've got a 39' Landmark that we've stayed in for extended periods up to 3 months at a time, plus 16 months fulltime while in-between houses. It's the right length for us, but if we had started with a 42' model (not available when we bought), I'm sure we would be using the extra 3 feet and wouldn't want to go back to 39'.

MTPockets

Size/length I'm sure is purely a personal preference matter. We've been full time now four years in our 35ft Big Horn. For us, that was our length limit and are more than happy with our choice. During our travels we've met couples in rigs of all types and sizes living full time. It boils down to your style, how much traveling vs parking, camping vs glamping, maneuverability, etc. Think it through and get the one that fits.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

For me our 41' LM365 is not big enough to full time in !!!! LOL
If your doing a lot of travailing going in and out of parks ect. I would go with 34' to 36' but if your wanting to go to state parks you might want to cut back off a few more feet. But that's tight quarters for full timing.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
DH had to start fulltiming last year in our 37 footer. Since he was by himself much of that year, it seemed fine, but when we sold the house and both moved in to fulltime in July, with a lot more stuff from the house, we found some areas lacking. We didn't think we wanted a long coach, but the BC 4010RD floorplan for our new rig is just about perfect for our living. We knew it went we stepped inside. It gave us extra living room space, extra kitchen/dining space, a slightly larger bath and larger bedroom. It feels like a home.

Now we haven't gone anywhere to speak of yet, so I can't speak on maneuverability. But it does seem to tow easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gasman

Camp Socializer
We have experienced very few issues with our 35+ footer. We found a few parks with 34' limits but we were able to find other parks nearby. We have also found several parks that charge more for rigs longer than 35'.

JanAndBill

We had considered full time, but health problems and other issues changed our mind. However we do stay out for a month at a time. Our BC is 39 and change and by the end of our trips we're ready to get home and stretch out. We love the floor plan and space in our RV but it does get confining after a bit. Now if we didn't have a home to go back to we might get used to it.

B

BouseBill

Another thing to consider is usable storage space. Our Big Country (36') had more storage space than our new 2015 Big Horn 3570 which is overall about 3' longer...go figure.
We seldom use state parks so length is not a factor for us full-timing, most of our contracts are for a minimum of 6 months at a time as work-campers. and we pretty much choose where we want to go.

MCTalley

Since you have the "need a short rig for state parks" side covered with your hybrid, it sounds like you are mainly concerned with size as it regards living in it full time. As a full-timer that has been in a 40', then a 42', then another 40' rig, I can say that it comes down more to two factors that aren't necessarily associated with length:

1. Layout
2. Storage space

We generally find something we are comfortable living in, then we make sure it has sufficient storage space for all our full-time stuff.

TxCowboy

Aussie, Laurie and I went through this same thought process late last year (2015). Like you, we went the Max Luxury and Convenience route so we purchased a Landmark 365 Key West and put it down on the Texas coast.

We quickly realized that (1) we still need an office in our San Antonio location and (2) there is no way we were going to be dragging the 41 feet long Key West around the country. (The Key West is now our base camp and will be our full time home when our stick and brick house in San Antonio sells in the next couple of months.)

What we decided to do was to purchase a 30 bumper pull trailer that will double as our San Antonio office space for the next couple of years then be our "traveling" RV for touring the country when we fully retire in about two years. Almost any 3/4 ton truck can haul that 30 foot trailer and there are very few places where a 30 foot won't fit.

Maybe something like what Laurie and I did might be a good choice for you as well, Aussie. :)

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We started our rv'ing in a 24' 5th wheel and decided real quick that was way too small even tho it was the right size to get into most national and state parks. Next we got a 32' 5'r followed by a 35', again easy to get into most locations across the country. Our forth 5'r was a 40' but by then we were over a lot of the state/national parks camping, sticking with commercial campground near these locations. This camper we also lived in for over 2 years while hubby was doing out of state work. It was very comfortable for the 2 of us both living in and the storage part. We are now in a 41' which we are again living in while hubby is working out of state. Again, great floor plan with lots of outside storage. What I'm trying to say is you will have to figure out what you will doing with the camper and if you like the floor plans or not. Best of luck :)

Aussiecat

Thank you everyone for your input and encouragement, it's much appreciated. We're a little apprehensive with all the problems reported, although we've owned enough TT's to understand that it's the industry not individual manufacturers. We're thankful for forums such as these, where we can ask the questions and know that from a multitude of counsel comes wisdom.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
My biggest lesson that I struggle with still, is procrastination when issues do come up. Get to the issue an issue and fix it. Putting them off only makes the issue worse.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Noofear

I live in my fifth wheel 6 months out of the year and then other additional camping trips to that. I had a 35 footer for 6 years and just moved up to the 42 foot I am so grateful for the extra 7 feet of space all the world of difference in living. There were two of us in the 35 and just me in the 42 go figure

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rxbristol

I've towed a 32', 38', and a 41'--they all tow and back the same to me. Since you have another RV for state parks, get the longer one for full time--you'll love the extra space.

caissiel

My neighbour bought a 37 ft 5th wheel after finding out that his 30 ft TT was actually more then 8 ft shorter living space and same bumper to bumper length front to back with truck attached. The truck can turn more then 90deg for easier set up.
We are very comfortable with our 7 year old unit and cannot find a unit with better living room/office in the later layouts of BCs.
Most newer models have larger Bedroom/ Bath while sacrificing living/kitchen areas.
Been full timing for 11 years, first in a 33 ft unit and now a 39Ft unit and always say 35ft unit when reserving.
Never had any problem to set up in small place. We pay same price for the larger lots the the smaller unit lots.

JanAndBill

We learned a couple years ago that size is also a matter of lifestyle. We were camped next to a couple from MI who had been on the road for three months. Their "RV" was one of those A frame pop up trailers. It worked for them because they only used it as a place to sleep. They spent their days exploring and sitting out relaxing when they weren't. The money they saved on the rig and the fuel allowed them to eat out.

Kim and I love the Landmark San Antonio 2011 with 4 slides as we live in it fulltime. We enjoy the room coming from a Class A 38'. We shall see soon about going down the road in it.:cool: