Roof to sidewall sealant

NYSUPstater

A couple years ago, I removed all the factory roof to sidewall sealant cuz parts were already "flaking/coming off" which IMO should not have been the case being it was 2-3 years old at the time. Used a product from RV dealer I've used since '05 and think it was Dicor roof/sidewall sealant or something like that. Kinda a PITA job and took a couple days to do, but got it done. Today, while replacing a light fixture near peak of garage here RV sits for the summer, I put some items on roof of the RV and happen to see that the stuff I used to seal things up appears to be flaking back off once again.

I really don't want to be dealing w/ this again and so soon, so what's your take on:

1. Have local dealer remove and re-do things next spring?
2. Say the heck w/ it and bite the bullet and have Flex/RV Armour installed and not ever have to worry about sidewall sealant ever again?

I know #2 will cost like the dickens, but it will last forever and far fewer long run headaches if I'm correct on this.

Looking for opinions as RV will be going into storage in about a month or so.

Bobby A

I can only say that we had the flex armor done in June, we love it, can hardly hear it raining on the roof anymore, Yes very expensive but we plan on keeping our unit for a very long time. My only regret is not having it done a few years ago.

thewanderingeight

A third option you could consider that I have seen a few people do is to use Eternabond. They used thin strips to make the seal between the roof and sidewall. If you take your time, it looks pretty nice and you won’t really notice it from the ground. It won’t be a quick process to do the prep work, but it should last quite a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taskswap

I'm an Eternabond fan as well, especially anywhere you can't "see" what's going on. I buy it in 4" wide rolls. If you keep it in your camper for emergency repairs, wrap it in saran wrap - it sticks to ANYTHING so just sitting in a storage compartment the edges will start sticking to the shelf!

With a 4" wide strip you have a lot of flexibility. That's wide enough to span from the roof up and over the edge of something like a vent cover (when your sealant there wasn't well-applied or has started cracking), and as thewanderingeight noted above, you can also cut 1/2"-1" wide strips to seal seams.

ksucats

We just had the Flex Armor roof sprayed on last week due to roof membrane glue giving out and roof ballooning up. Expensive, yes, a bit but not more than another TPO type roof and this one has lifetime warranty. Sure wish we had done it before we had the problem while traveling.

We also hope to keep this coach a long time.

NYSUPstater

Guess I want to re-ask my question. Should I just go ahead and put the Eternabond tape on for I think it will be awhile before we to any kind of roof coating. RV is still in storage, but will probly be home within week or so. Figure before it rains and if the stuff I used isn't up to snuff and just play it safe and tape it up when I get it home. Then wash the roof. In regards to the tape, what width should I use ? 2" or 4"? Best way to apply it? Crawl along the roof or have a helper (son) on roof and me on ladder and have him just hold roll while I apply it?

Any long term affects if I use the tape? Say few years down the road and decide to do the roof coating?

RoadJunkie

We just had the Flex Armor roof sprayed on last week due to roof membrane glue giving out and roof ballooning up. Expensive, yes, a bit but not more than another TPO type roof and this one has lifetime warranty. Sure wish we had done it before we had the problem while traveling.

We also hope to keep this coach a long time.

It should be noted that the Flex Armor warranty is indeed lifetime, but only against leakage and nothing else. Any repairs, and/or roof accessories that need replacement, must be done by the FA facility and at owner's expense in order to maintain the warranty.