Secure dual battery box?

eddylives

Hey all we just picked up a 2012 Heartland Trail Runner 26FQB.
One of my first projects is to set up a dual battery box that is very secure , we spend all our time "boon docking" and require the extra storage of 12V power to keep the generator run time down. I have in mind a checker plate aluminum box in mind but have yet to find anything that fits.

As we have all ready had a break in in the past and lost a bunch of stuff GRRRR! all items left with the camper are locked up very well now lol.
I have been surfing this forum for a couple of days now and have found it to be very helpfull and full of valuable information.

Thanks for any info.

pegmikef

Secure how? For theft prevention of for stability while traveling? For stability I just use regular battery boxes and I use two T-105 6 volt batteries for the greater amperage and they usually only take a couple of hours to charge in the morning after running a fan all night. I haven't had a problem with them moving on me. You have to use the strap retainers and straps that come with the boxes as shown.

Oops, just scrolled down and read the rest of your post regarding security. Sorry about that.

Attachments

• batterybox.jpg
    batterybox.jpg
    752.5 KB · Views: 94
  • retainers.jpg
    retainers.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 65

Speedy

Harbor Freight or Northern Tool & Equipment carry diamond plate storage boxes that are not too pricey.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Secure how? For theft prevention of for stability while traveling? For stability I just use regular battery boxes and I use two T-105 6 volt batteries for the greater amperage and they usually only take a couple of hours to charge in the morning after running a fan all night. I haven't had a problem with them moving on me. You have to use the strap retainers and straps that come with the boxes as shown.

Oops, just scrolled down and read the rest of your post regarding security. Sorry about that.

Mike.. I too am going to put in the 2/6 volt batteries, and I notice in the 2nd photograph that the battery box is for a series 24 battery. Will the T-105 fit in a series 24 box? Thanks...Bret

pegmikef

Mike.. I too am going to put in the 2/6 volt batteries, and I notice in the 2nd photograph that the battery box is for a series 24 battery. Will the T-105 fit in a series 24 box? Thanks...Bret

Nope, that's the 12 volt battery I use just to keep stuff running when we're not using the rig. The 105s are taller. I had to get the boxes from JC Whitney. They are made for six volt batteries come with the straps and retainers. I used self drilling/tapping metal screws to install the retainers. I just swap out the batteries when we are getting ready to go. Here's the link: http://www.jcwhitney.com/battery-boxes/p2013551.jcwx?filterid=u0j1#prodDetailTabPanel

eddylives

Well I found the box to use for dual Batterys.....its what they call an under body/bed storage box , they come iv various sizes but I am leaning towards the 24X14X12 if I can find it or 24X18X18 if it will fit the trailer lol. they are made by most truck tool box manufacturers like Delta but I hope to find a used one hehe......around $400 is the average price I see on line.
They come in aluminum or steel so we will see what I can find out there before ordering a new one.