Sewer gas smell in bedroom

Boozecamp

Yesterday I noticed a sewer gas smell in bedroom. Any reason for that? No one had used the toilet in a while.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would go up on the roof, remove the vent caps and seal around the vent pipes.
I used caulk, spray foam may also work well.

Peace
Dave

Birchwood

Yes seal around the vent hole in the roof.I removed the vent cap and applied duct seal that prevents sewer smell from entering the attic.

Miltp920

I sometimes have this issue, but it usually is after I eat mexican food or drink cheap beer. LOL, couldn't hold it back...no pun intended.

Yesterday I noticed a sewer gas smell in bedroom. Any reason for that? No one had used the toilet in a while.

i am a full timer. i have a 2014 3875 FB. from time to time i came home from work and the whole trailer is full of sewer gas. it is coming from the washer drain in the front bath. every drain seems to have a P trap except for the washer drain. i cant find one for it. is there one for it ? maybe it doesnt have one, design flaw?? in the past i have had my outside drain hose in a cradle that connected to the city sewer, allowing the water to drain completely from the holding tanks. the last time i had the sewer gas issue, i removed the sewer hose cradle and using blocks spaced about one foot apart and stacked about one foot high each. i created my our P trap outside to keep the sewer gas from entering the gray tanks from the city sewer and backing up into my coach thru the gray tanks up the washer drain with no P trap. this was done a few days ago and have not had any trouble since. maybe this will help both of us..........

danemayer

i am a full timer. i have a 2014 3875 FB. from time to time i came home from work and the whole trailer is full of sewer gas. it is coming from the washer drain in the front bath. every drain seems to have a P trap except for the washer drain. i cant find one for it. is there one for it ? maybe it doesnt have one, design flaw?? in the past i have had my outside drain hose in a cradle that connected to the city sewer, allowing the water to drain completely from the holding tanks. the last time i had the sewer gas issue, i removed the sewer hose cradle and using blocks spaced about one foot apart and stacked about one foot high each. i created my our P trap outside to keep the sewer gas from entering the gray tanks from the city sewer and backing up into my coach thru the gray tanks up the washer drain with no P trap. this was done a few days ago and have not had any trouble since. maybe this will help both of us..........
Hi CowboyOzee,

Have you checked the vent for the washer to see if it's blocked? If there's no airflow, when the washer drains, the suction will pull the water out of the p-trap allowing sewer gas to come up through the drain.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I came back to the trailer one day and thought "man, this sewer gas smell is terible".
What I found was a knob on the stove was slightly ajar.
What I was smelling was LP gas.
So be sure to turn off your LP and see if the smell stays or goes.

Peace
Dave

SLIDEONE

Check the vent pipes on the roof, they have probably been left cut to short and the sewer gas is being sucked back into the coach around the pipe. This has to be sealed. Hope this helps. Trip

jjwink

After 4 years of dealing with sewer smell in our 2011 Rushmore we finally took the pocket door off in the bathroom. When we looked inside the wall we found the pipe from roof had been cut too short and had never been connected to the pipe coming up from the black tank. No wonder we had such horrid smells when we dumped. Had a new longer top pipe installed and no more smell!!!

Snaredrum

To understand this odor better. Its hydrogen sulfide gas. Its much heavier than air. High levels of this gas can also make you sick or even death if it gets over 500ppm. I have never had any smell in any of my campers and I think its because we use a lot of water in grey and black tanks. Dilution is the solution is what we say at work. Yes, Im in the wastewater treatment business.

MotoLynx27x

To understand this odor better. Its hydrogen sulfide gas. Its much heavier than air. High levels of this gas can also make you sick or even death if it gets over 500ppm. I have never had any smell in any of my campers and I think its because we use a lot of water in grey and black tanks. Dilution is the solution is what we say at work. Yes, Im in the wastewater treatment business.

You are correct on all counts. However it's not a whole lot heavier than air. It will tend to stay low as long as the wind stays low. When it's burned it produces Sulfer Dioxide which is much heavier than normal air. I would like to add that many people can get very sick at levels even less than 100ppm. After 40ppm, your nose can't be relied upon to detect it as it is a nerve agent that deadens the Ol factory nerves. One time I got hit with about 60ppm and pretty much skipped the ability to smell it and went straight to full on nausea and vomiting. It was no picnic. I'm in Oil and Gas. I encounter it daily as I know for sure that you do in your line of work. Stay safe my friend.

Brazos

I had this problem with the smell in the bedroom area and it really got bad and traveled throughout the rig. After a lot of testing and exploring it turned out just like an earlier post here by hoefler suggests.
It was the under counter top air admittance valve that went bad. My rig was only two months old when this started to happen, who would have thunk it. There is a rubber like flapper valve inside that plastic housing on top of a stand pipe under the bathroom sink and countertop, and it must have dried out causing it to malfunction. A cheap fix for under $4 with a trip to Ace Hardware. It does not have to look the same as the one from the factory which has a little larger screw in housing. It is called a 1 1/2" trap vent by B&K part#995-001 and just screws into the same fitting as the factory one is screwed into.
This Valve

Last edited:

Gaffer

The valve in the link is described as follows:
  • 1-1/2" MPT
  • For use as a secondary vent only
  • Can be used in mobile homes
  • Black
It is the secondary part that concerns me. There better valves that are certified by testing labs but they are in the $25 range.

I had this problem with the smell in the bedroom area and it really got bad and traveled throughout the rig. After a lot of testing and exploring it turned out just like an earlier post here by hoefler suggests.
It was the under counter top air admittance valve that went bad. My rig was only two months old when this started to happen, who would have thunk it. There is a rubber like flapper valve inside that plastic housing on top of a stand pipe under the bathroom sink and countertop, and it must have dried out causing it to malfunction. A cheap fix for under $4 with a trip to Ace Hardware. It does not have to look the same as the one from the factory which has a little larger screw in housing. It is called a 1 1/2" trap vent by B&K part#995-001 and just screws into the same fitting as the factory one is screwed into.
This Valve

ICamel

If you have not used a sink/drain, in time the water in the p-trap will evaporate and it will allow sewer smells to travel through the pipe. Discovered this at work in a bathroom that had a floor drain. Poured some water into the floor drain and voila, no more smell.

Kbvols

We had the same smell for 2 years and tried several things to fix. As Icammel said it was the water in the trap evaporating. Now we keep the stopper in the drain when we travel or store. As part of the set up my wife will fill the sink with water and periodically drains a little at a time throughout the set up. This has fixed the issue. Just running water down the drain didn't work it had to be done a little at a time and I suspect the water left standing in the bowl held back any of the smell. Worth a try before you spend money to try to fix.

jimpav

09120034.jpgAfter only a little over one year on the Gateway 2300RS, we all of a sudden noticed the same odors. Found the Air admittance valve in the kitchen wasn't screwed on tight enough. No valve under the bathroom sink, for some reason. I went on the roof to find that one of the mushroom cap vent inner pipes is way too short to caulk. Perhaps expandable foam might do the trick. The other vent in the front which I assume is the washer/dryer vent is also way below what it should be. Will Heartland fix this "factory defect" outside of warranty? THe inner pipes should have been cut even with the vents. There is also a larger diameter white vent in which the cover unscrews. This vent does not have any pipe like the other three vents. Any idea what this vent is for? I think its the attic vent???

Last edited:

danemayer

Will Heartland fix this "factory defect" outside of warranty?

The 1 year warranty (2 year on Landmark) covers manufacturing defects. Defects that show up after the warranty expires are by definition not warranted.

However, Heartland sometimes pays to fix things that are out of warranty, as an accommodation in the interest of customer satisfaction.

Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

I'd suggest you describe the original symptom, and your findings, and ask how they think that might have occurred; i.e. put together wrong at the factory, or pipe slipped out of position after a while. Ask how it might be corrected. Let the customer service rep be the expert.

The last part of the conversation should be whether Heartland would like to help with the repairs.