Shattered Shower Door

JHWilson2

We bought our 2014 Big Horn 3010RE in February and had it delivered to where we were in Georgia working. We pulled it for the first time this week when we headed to Indiana for the next job. I made sure the latch on our sliding shower doors was latched tight, however, when we got to Indiana the center panel was shattered. Heartland has been awesome about this, but has this happened to anyone else? The only thing I can think of is that the gasket on the side of the door had come off in the past couple of months and I had to put in back on. I don't know if it came off again due to rough roads because of road construction on I65 or not. If this has happened to others, what did you do to keep it from happening again ?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
The latch can work loose and come unhooked in travel. Ours let go and all doors went forward, jumped the track and jammed. No glass breakage however.
We put sticks in the track on ours, like you would to secure a sliding glass entry door. We also put a strap around all the doors to hold them together while traveling. Trace

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
If this has happened to others, what did you do to keep it from happening again ?

This has happened to a few, not just HL trailers.
I don't understand why the sliding doors latch in a rearward position. That just begs for a confrontation between glass and jamb in a quick or panic stop. Wood dowels in the tracks is my first thought. Or reversing the doors so that they latch in a forward position.

Keep in mind, many of the people who design and build RV's never step foot in one outside the factory, let alone actually go camping.