Should I be able to get my brakes to lock on cyclone 3110?

GOTTOYS

Dodge did have some problems with their brake controllers on the 2010 models. I don't know when they upgraded the controller to a better version, but I know they did...Don

bobca1

Well cyclone is in the shop now for some other items and I asked them to look at the brakes too. They inspected and called me today to say that on one of the wheels the "spring, adjuster, and backing plate" are broken and need the be replaced at a cost of almost $300 parts and labor. I asked why this would not be covered by mfg. warranty was told that heartland warranty does not cover this. Really, Does this sound right? Seems odd to me and I was going to call heartland to confirm but wanted to see what folks here thought first.

Sent from mobile using Tapatalk

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Axle manufacturer will likely cover it. Dexter has been VERY good with issues I've had.

danemayer

Well cyclone is in the shop now for some other items and I asked them to look at the brakes too. They inspected and called me today to say that on one of the wheels the "spring, adjuster, and backing plate" are broken and need the be replaced at a cost of almost $300 parts and labor. I asked why this would not be covered by mfg. warranty was told that heartland warranty does not cover this. Really, Does this sound right? Seems odd to me and I was going to call heartland to confirm but wanted to see what folks here thought first.

It sounds like maybe you didn't take the rig to your dealer for warranty work, which is what your warranty statement directs. Many of the subsystems and appliances are warranted by their respective manufacturers. Your dealer just handles the complexity of warranty claims behind the scenes without involving you.

But sometimes it's not practical to take the rig back to your selling dealer, or you don't want to do so. Heartland is flexible about using non-Heartland dealers and independent servicers for warranty work, but advance approval is required. The same could be true for Dexter, Lippert, Dometic, Suburban, Atwood, etc.

In the case of brake warranty, that's provided by the axle manufacturer: Dexter or Lippert. If you're at an independent shop, and they don't handle warranty claim billing to Dexter or Lippert, you may have to call Dexter or Lippert for instructions on how to proceed.

No one wants to get involved in the details of warranty claims, but sometimes we put ourselves in the middle of the process and have to do so.

And if it's your selling dealer who's telling you this, you should just ask them why they're not handling the warranty claim directly with the axle manufacturer.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
They may be misinterpreting the warranty. Braking system parts designed to wear out, like brake pads, are not covered, but someone might have read "braking system parts are not covered"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
A calender date on a warranty does not always ring true.

Our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner had serious axle issues after the one-year warranty expired, but with less than 5000 miles on the road . . .

It took a lot of pi$$ing and moaning here in the chats, not too mention almost getting kicked off of these very forums . . . but I finally did reach an agreement with Heartland/Lippert to get these issues resolved!

Cost me over $3000.00 . . . but would have been double that if Lippert had not kicked in.

One week after we had that trailer fixed . . . we traded it in for our current 2015 Heartland Prowler!

sengli

There is a trailer place near my house and they work on nothing but trailers of all types. They told me that when the shoes are worn they simply replace the entire dexter backplate assembly which they said was like $80 a side. It included everything though, brake shoes, magnets, springs, backplate etc. So undo four bolts and slap the entire assembly on in place of the old one. They told me this was cheaper than them ordering the shoes by themselves, and alot less labor.

bobca1

Hi All, Thank you for the feedback and suggestions! You gave me the information I needed. I called and spoke to the shop today and he agreed to take photos and submit it to be handled as a warranty repair. The shop I am using is the dealer I bought the RV from so that's why I was surprised when at first I was told it would not be covered. So hopefully its approved and I don't pay for it AND my braking will be improved, although I am not convinced yet this will completely solve my "weak braking" issue. Obviously good to have all 4 wheels braking though! That's a start. I'll give an update in a week or so...

bobca1

Brake repairs were completed last week, and I had chance to road test this past weekend. I can feel the difference about what to be expected having 25% braking restored, but still seems like it could be better. As someone previously suggested I pulled the pin on the safety cable (when stopped :) ) and they do hold much better, still will not lock on dirt, but almost and the truck struggles to pull. Big difference. So I am going to take truck to dealer and see if they can test the controller.

I ended up paying a $350 bill for the brake repair because dealer said they could not get heartland to authorize the work, so I called heartland and they said the claim was approved. I'm not sure what is going on hopefully just a mix up, but it's a pain that I have to invest much of my time trying to sort this out for $350 it almost not worth the time, but out of principle I am going to continue to pursue it.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Can I assume the 3110 has two axles? For $350 you yourself could have replaced all four assemblies with NEW everything from the backing plates out instead of just a repair. What was repaired??

Hippy

Seven months ago I was taking one wheel off at a time to check, pack bearings and adjust the brakes on my 2014 Cyclone 3110. Before taking one of the wheels off I heard a clunking and clanging noise in the wheel as I spun it manually. Something wasn't right. I figured leave it alone and take it in were I bought it for a check and repair. Got a call back from service and I was told my brake shoe spring adjuster had broken inside and damage the shoe and drum. Heartland warranty would cover. They fixed it and had no issues. Now as far as my 2010 Dodge 2500, it will not lock up the trailer brakes at all even though I have it set on 8. Tried manually, they still won't lock up. Eventually I will go disc brakes in the near future.

avvidclif

Never tried to lock them on pavement but they will on dirt/gravel, easily. Usually do a brake test when pulling out. Get up to 10-15mph and apply trailer brakes, I don't try and lock them just make sure they are working.

bobca1

Seven months ago I was taking one wheel off at a time to check, pack bearings and adjust the brakes on my 2014 Cyclone 3110. Before taking one of the wheels off I heard a clunking and clanging noise in the wheel as I spun it manually. Something wasn't right. I figured leave it alone and take it in were I bought it for a check and repair. Got a call back from service and I was told my brake shoe spring adjuster had broken inside and damage the shoe and drum. Heartland warranty would cover. They fixed it and had no issues. Now as far as my 2010 Dodge 2500, it will not lock up the trailer brakes at all even though I have it set on 8. Tried manually, they still won't lock up. Eventually I will go disc brakes in the near future.
Sounds like same kind of problem I had. Dealer said the spring and adjuster broke and damaged the backing plate. They replaced backing plate assembly. Apparently no damage to drum.
I'm giving disc brakes some thought now too, but do you know if they are more sensitive to brake controller? Would not want to find out after the fact that actuator still needs comparable power from controller and end up with sane weak braking. How much is it for a typical install, anyone have experience with a good shop in So Calif that has does this brake conversion?

bobca1

Can I assume the 3110 has two axles? For $350 you yourself could have replaced all four assemblies with NEW everything from the backing plates out instead of just a repair. What was repaired??

Yeah now that I know, next time I may do the brake job and bearing repack myself. I do expect to get my $350 back for this repair... Eventually.

mlpeloquin

When I first got my Big Horn I thought the breaks were week. In fact someone pulled the breakaway switch and I drove around the block. My GMC 3500HD did not have any problem doing it. I could hardy tell. Well after breaking the breaks in, I pulled the breakaway switch and it dead stops the truck. I still would like more breaking from the controller, and was advised to manually adjust the brakes and not to depend on the automatic adjuster. Haven't had the time to do this yet and will after our next trip. When i get it out of storage, it will be raining. In fact the entire next trip. I don't care! We will be camping with friends! The day after we get back it should be sunny and I will adjust them. Hope to get more breaking, but I am used to what I have and will change it to disk breaks when they are warn out.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm not sure why anyone would want their trailer brakes to lock up.

When brakes lock up you don't stop . . . you slide!

What you want them to do is to help the truck brakes.

I have my 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD factory trailer brake contoller set at 5.5 and they (trailer brakes) have just the right amount of drag short of locking them up.