Stablizer fell out of track

artie47

Hi Everyone,

I'm a very excited new owner of a North Trail trailer. This is our 3rd trailer so we have a good understanding of what to look out for. We took her out for her maiden voyage over the 4th of July weekend to a very nice KOA park. Upon leaving the park we heard a noise and stopped to investigate. We found the passenger side stablizer had fallen. We tried the electric switch and nothing happened, then we tried the manual crank tool and nothing happened (other then spinning the rod). So I had to get under the trailer and bungee the stablizer up so we could drive home. What I did notice though was the bar that the rod is threaded through was out of the track and hung up on a notched area. I had to tweak the rod just so I could stick it back into the track. Off we go and not long after the other side dropped and again we stopped and bungee corded that one up.

I called my dealer they said I was fully covered and to take the trailer to their repair place, which I did. The first thing out of this guys mouth when he called me back later in the day was we had hit something. I know what to look out for and we did not hit anything. So I wondering if any of you geekheads out here have heard of this kind of thing happening. I would have thought the stablizers would have some kind of stop built in them so you can't go past a certain point (once they are installed on the trailer). Also I have a rock in the pit of my stomach now thinking the repair ship is trying to take me to the cleaners. Do they get more money if they charge you directly then if they use the warranty with Heartland...

As they say, inquiring minds would like to know :)

Gail

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Gail and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.
I think that part of the profit they make on the sale goes to warranty repair work labor. Don't know this for sure but have been told so.
When you crawled under to bungee the rod up did you notice anything bent? If you did hit something then damage would have been apparent. And if it was bent due to damage, then I think a little hammer work might solve the problem. I would want them to show me the road hazard damage. On a surprise visit, unannounced.
I feel that if your dealer is a good dealer he would work with you on warranty.
Just my thoughts.

Peace
Dave

artie47

Thanks for the reply Dave, what I saw was a cross rod at a weird 33 degree angle popped out of the track. I did not see any damage to the track itself but the repair shop took photos that showed it. I'm thinking the damage might have occurred while we were using the electric switch to try and pull the stablizer up... I purchased the extended warranty as well so I am feeling this should be covered...Keep your fingers crossed for us :)

Gail