Take out another mortgage for brake job

ILH

I took my rig in for routine axle and bearing check up last week. While heading over to the trailer repair shop, I noticed that I had almost no trailer brakes. Talk about good timing! Well, a week later, new bearings and new brakes all around... It cost me a small fortune.

However, to be honest, I had not had the bearings serviced for more than a year and I was still on the original linings - so some of it was about time. It still hurts the pocket book! But at least now I'm ready for the trip to Goshen.

My question to others is... How long should brake linings last? My rig tends to run heavy.

MTPockets

I have close to 20,000 trailer miles. Repacked Brgs & Checked brakes at 18,000 and linings were in great shape.

MCTalley

When we traded our 2013 Big Country, it had about 48,000 miles on it. Brake linings still looked good.

Probably depends on how high your brake controller is set and the type of driving you do. For us, probably 90-95% of ours was interstate, so only a few brake applications a day.

Miltp920

it cost me $150 to have 2 axle bearings repacked with new seals. brakes just inspected. Did not need work. How much was your small fortune? are you 2 or 3 axle?

ILH

it cost me $150 to have 2 axle bearings repacked with new seals. brakes just inspected. Did not need work. How much was your small fortune? are you 2 or 3 axle?

2 axles. New bearings, new brakes. Replace and troubleshoot landing gear switch. Also troubleshoot why brakes suddenly stopped working. Total $1,400

JanAndBill

2 axles. New bearings, new brakes. Replace and troubleshoot landing gear switch. Also troubleshoot why brakes suddenly stopped working. Total $1,400

Dang I may have to do like Malcolm and trade when its time for brakes. Dexter lists the 12 x2 shoe kit at $169/wheel.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Etrailer or any of the other online retailers sell the complete brake assembly on the backing plate for $60-$80 depending on axle capacity. I doing my own when the time comes.

Miltp920

Darn, More than I expected. But new bearings instead of just repack.

Kbvols

Wow! That does seem expensive. I just had bearings on all 4 wheels replaced, replaced 1 brake magnet, replaced all 4 springs and replace spring bolts with wet bolts. Cost was slightly under $600. Guess I have no reason to complain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ILH

Darn, More than I expected. But new bearings instead of just repack.

I have to give the mechanics credit - when I continued to have issues with the brakes, they worked in conjunction with the GM dealer and looked up a service bulletin to callibrate the factory brake controller. They went back and forth from the shop to the storage facility - probably spent a couple of extra hours no charge.

wdk450

Cost of brake friction materials replacement is another argument for disk brakes. You use 2 sets of common GM brake pads (for 2 axles).

TXBobcat

Fulltime
As mentioned above, if you have drum brakes do not put new shoes back on the trailer. Replace the entire assembly. Everything is then new as well as the magnets. Normally the mfgr brakes are the cheaper low end brand and should be replaced. It is as quick and easier to just replace the entire assembly. Bolt them on. Connect two wires and ready to go. No fuss no mess..

FWIW
BC

caissiel

Replaced shoes on previous unit at 13 years and at least 70k miles. 2 sets of spring bushings and one set of shackles. 2 magnets in 13 years. One lasted 8 years and other when brake change, tires is an other story.
This unit's axles and tires have been great after my original repairs. Just replaced the nylon bushings last year cost me $15 after 5 years.

olcoon

I recently took our rig to have the bearings packed. They found some issues with the bearings, so I had them replace all of them, plus check the breaks. To replace all the bearings, seals, races, and pack the bearings it cost $245.20. It kind of hurt my pocketbook, but I know it's a lot cheaper than other places. They charge $35.00 per wheel to pack the bearings. Our rig is a 2011, and has 31,892 miles on it, never had to replace the brake pads...yet!

JanAndBill

Etrailer or any of the other online retailers sell the complete brake assembly on the backing plate for $60-$80 depending on axle capacity. I doing my own when the time comes.

I figured there would be a parts house cheaper then Dexter's site, but I am surprised that the whole assembly is 1/2 the cost of the kit. That's a no brainer.

Gary521

Ian, the cheapest place to buy brake parts is Eastern Marine. The cost of a brake assembly for one wheel is about $50 and that is the self adjusting kind. Just the shoes are in the $30 range. $1400 is a bit excessive.

Georgia46

I have a 2013 Heartland BigHorn 3585RL and pull it with a 2012 Ford F-350 Lariat. I've had the brakes, drums, etc. replaced twice already on my 5th wheel! I don't "ride" the brake or left foot brake, and I do mostly Interstate driving so my brakes aren't used an awful lot. No one can figure out why I'm going through brakes! I've talked to Heartland, two different rv repair places, two different Ford dealerships and many rv'ers. The only thing that has been found is a 3 amp draw from the truck and no one thinks that would be enough to scar the drums the way they were.
Has anyone got any ideas or had any similar experiences?
This has cost me $2400 the first time and $1700 the 2nd set - I'm afraid to take the trailer anywhere now!