Take out another mortgage for brake job

danemayer

The Dexter Trailer Brakes Manual (4th from the bottom in this folder) on page 19 has a table on amperage draw. I wouldn't discount a 3 amp continuous draw from the truck. Maybe that's enough to keep the magnets lightly engaged.

You should call Dexter and ask their opinion.

jimtoo

If they have a continuous current draw it has got to feed through the controller or a bad/partially shorted breakaway switch on the hitch. I would suggest you disconnect the breakaway switch and check amperage draw,, if still have draw, borrow or hook up another controller and recheck.

Jim M

danemayer

If they have a continuous current draw it has got to feed through the controller or a bad/partially shorted breakaway switch on the hitch. I would suggest you disconnect the breakaway switch and check amperage draw,, if still have draw, borrow or hook up another controller and recheck.

Jim M

Good idea. Disconnect the power connection to the breakaway switch, not the umbilical to the truck.

If the 3 amp draw goes away, get a new switch. DON'T tow with it disconnected.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Another possibility is the insulation is worn off the positive wire and touching the frame or the inside of the axle tube.