Terrible smell coming from grey tanks

Mizmary

I use the same blue stuff we put in the toilet if the smell gets overwhelming. Odor in the grey tanks is a bit odd though. I would try to do a flush. Close the tanks and run hot soapy water in until full, let sit a few minutes then dump. Repeat. Then close and put a gallon of water in with the blue stuff. Maybe that will help. :) good luck. I know I won't be the only person to chime in. ;-P

scottyb

It's amazing how stinky that water from the sink can get. Not so much from the bathroom which is mostly soapy. I try to let as little organic matter as possible go down the sink, like coffee, and food scrapings. I also use the blue chem in the sink.

MJordan

"PA n MA s"
We got a recipe while we were in Gillette that works pretty good
See if you can view this
If not give me your email or if you r at rally come by site nw406
uza5a2eh.jpg

God Bless

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I put "Cyclone" vent caps on all my tanks and no longer get smells.
They use a venturi effect to draw smells out of the tanks and send them down wind.
Since putting those on, I no longer use chemicals of any kind. Even in my black tank.
I only use about an ounce of Dawn dish soap and occasionally use Calgon if a valve is sticking.
Also don't allow food bits or juices to go into the kitchen grey tank, especially those containing proteins.
If loaded with food particles, kitchen grey tanks can smell worse than a black tank. Trace

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Milton_and_PeggySue

Thanks for the great responses:) I haven't looked for Calgon bath beads in years, hopefully they're easy to find. I will give these suggestions a try and see which one works the best for us. Thanks again!

szewczyk_john

the bath beads are easy to find. the liquid water softener can be found but it is difficult the powder softner is very difficult, in fact I have never found it and I doubt that it is still made.

sjs731

Calgon Water Softener Powder, 40-Ounce (Pack of 2)
http://amzn.com/B004VL3ZPQ

Not sure how this will come through but if you want the Calgon Powder, Amazon is where I have ordered it.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TandT

Calgon liquid water softener (not bath oil) is now sold at Walmart in the detergent section. That is what I use. Trace

Attachments

• Calgon.jpg
    Calgon.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 53

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like Pegmikef has raised the question of the hour. How is the odor getting in?
You might have a failed air addmitance valve under one of your sinks.
Also, if you do not have a wash machine, have you added water to the laundry P trap?
Adding any chemical to the tanks will only change the flavor of the odor. So now you coach will smell like oranges or Pinesol.
You really should find the origin of the odor.
I know that this statement will not help you, but I dont use anything in my tanks and have no odors.

Peace
Dave

Tool958

Looks like Pegmikef has raised the question of the hour. How is the odor getting in?
You might have a failed air addmitance valve under one of your sinks.
Also, if you do not have a wash machine, have you added water to the laundry P trap?
Adding any chemical to the tanks will only change the flavor of the odor. So now you coach will smell like oranges or Pinesol.
You really should find the origin of the odor.
I know that this statement will not help you, but I dont use anything in my tanks and have no odors.

Peace
Dave
The air admittance valve under our bathroom sink is what we found was letting the foul odor in. We walked in and were about knocked down from the stench. Ended up just taping over the vent until we could find a new one. The hard part was getting under the sink to get it taped. Just unscrewed the valve and put something over the end of the pipe until I could get it taped. It was immediate relief after screwing it back in.

TandT

In many cases if you remove the mushroom vent caps on your roof, you will see that the tank vent riser does not have a vapor seal around it.
I could see right through a crack into the coach. The laundry riser was the worst.
I used caulking to seal around mine, because the Fantastic fans would pull the sewer smells right back inside off of the roof.
As I mentioned earlier, I also installed Cyclone vent caps and they work great. Trace

TandT

Tool958
I found those under sink vapor check valve thingys at Home Depot. Trace

Milton_and_PeggySue

Right now our Big Country sits at La Mesa RV in Sanford, Fl. This is one of the issues that they will look at. The funny (odd) thing is that we were on our 4th trip in the BC and the first time we ever had that smell. I went to Walmart and bought the Pine Sol and Calgon bath beads, then made the concoction while we were still camping. It looked like a science experiment gone wrong with foam spewing out of the top. Once it settled down I was able to use it but still, the bad odor came through. Hopefully, the folks at La Mesa will figure it out. If not, the air admittance valve under the bathroom sink will be the first thing I ask about. Thanks again for all your help, it is most appreciated!:)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Another thought. Are you using a bedroom AC? If you are, then I'll bet that Trace might be on to something.
I have done the same thing. Sealed up around the vent pipes up on the roof.
You might want to do what Trace suggests. Remove the mushroom caps and take a look.

Peace
Dave