Thinking of a second air in the bedroom

bigdob24

Kicking around havering a second air installed in the RV.
The one in the living room does alright but noisy.
If I was to install one in the bedroom is there a less noisy unit to look at?
Its all pre wired , just want something quiet .
Any one have a brand there pleased with?
Thanks
Dan

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We ordered the second air in the bedroom. It is very nice to chose which one to run or both. Once the rig is cool, we run the bedroom AC and you can barely hear it is on from the kitchen and living room. Very nice when we are eating or watching tv.

sjandbj

Dan,
Bonnie and I just bought a Big Country 3150 and it has second air. My only problem is that while it cools well and also heats good, since we had the heat pumps installed, I have no way to quiet them down. When I asked the service dept they said that mine was quieter than most. I don't know who could ever sleep with the second air running at night. But it does a great job of cooling the bedroom down in the day.

Regards,
Steve

Westwind

We had a bedroom AC installed when we bought our 2012 Bighorn, I really didn't pay attention to be brand but I specified it had to be a low profile, well it's low on profile and BIG on noise, no way could be sleep in our bedroom with it running. My Bighorn was manufactured before they started ducting the bedroom units so it was installed in place of the ceiling vent and is directed into the bedroom. The smart way to do it would be to run it during the day and switch over to the main unit to sleep at night.
It's 13.5k and it can really cool things down fast so it has some positives. I did read that a RV AC Manufacturer has a quiet model out there - I'd look for it. Here is the info:

http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/products/rooftop/mach8.php

DocFather

They are nothing more than window a/cs working through a roof as opposed to a window. They make noise, unlike central air in a house. When I run my B/R A/C through the ductwork, it is not that loud. It is, of course louder, when I want a quick cool-down and run it right out of the unit itself. Unless it is 95° outside at night, I usually just run off the L/R A/C and it is quite cool. But the A/C itself never keeps me awake like my old-man trips to the bathroom do.

pegmikef

We only run the B/R air conditioner during the day and use the living room at night. When it is hot during the day, we run both for quick cool down.

travis_g

Funny, we sleep better in the RV than at home because of the white noise of the BR AC. We run out in fan mode even in winter just to get the noise. O.O

Last edited:

Speedy

Funny, we sleep better in the RV than at home because of the white house of the BR AC. We run out in fan mode even in winter just to get the noise. O.O

Same here. We installed our second AC in the bedroom after a year of ownership and one hot summer. It really helps with the train noise at night.

lwmcguir

Landmarks are prewired and I think most of them are. Someone else could clarify that. We use the second unit to cool the coach when setting up in hot weather. Also use the heat strip to warm up the bedroom quickly.

danemayer

Kicking around havering a second air installed in the RV.
The one in the living room does alright but noisy.
If I was to install one in the bedroom is there a less noisy unit to look at?
Its all pre wired , just want something quiet .
Any one have a brand there pleased with?
Thanks
Dan
Dan,

I don't think there's any RV air conditioner that's quiet. Most are quite noisy. BUT, if your rig has common ducting between the living area and bedroom, and you get an A/C unit that works with the common ducting, then you can manage the 2 A/C units so that after you get the trailer cool, you can use the unit that's further away to maintain the temp. When you're in the bedroom, you use the living room A/C unit to maintain temp, and when in the living room, you use the bedroom A/C unit. The common ducting lets you keep the noise level down.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We learn way back in 2004 that you need a second air so from that point on, we have had a second air installed each time we got a new coach. Technology has changed since our first coach and our current coach does has common ducting which we had a second unit installed. We did not elect to go with a heat pump system because we knew we were going to have CheapHeat installed. Now as for noise - yes we still have noise but it's not as loud as a lot of our other coaches. I do think since 2011 most luxury coaches now are pre-wired for a second unit. We found the wiring in the left side wall in the closest in the corner nearest the bedroom. Might check there.

JWalker

When we switch the bedroom AC to run through the ducting, it definitely cuts down on the noise level. We did encounter on issue with the Bedroom AC. In our layout, one of the AC ducts discharges near the bedroom thermostat. We encountered short cycling with that unit. I solved that problem by blocking of that vent.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
When we switch the bedroom AC to run through the ducting, it definitely cuts down on the noise level. We did encounter on issue with the Bedroom AC. In our layout, one of the AC ducts discharges near the bedroom thermostat. We encountered short cycling with that unit. I solved that problem by blocking of that vent.

The circular ceiling vents in our BH are directional, meaning the vanes in the vents are on a bias and I can also turn them to direct the flow of air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWalker

The circular ceiling vents in our BH are directional, meaning the vanes in the vents are on a bias and I can also turn them to direct the flow of air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have the same circular vents. No matter which way we would turn the vent, it still would blow a portion of the hair directly one of the thermostat. Blocking that one vent off was a really easy way to solve the problem. The other three vents in the bedroom still cool that area down quite nicely.

scottyb

Funny, we sleep better in the RV than at home because of the white noise of the BR AC. We run out in fan mode even in winter just to get the noise. O.O

Yes! Sometimes we are parked in the pits at the boat races. In Wheatland, MO we get surrounded (litterally) on Sat night by the Late Models and Modified cars for their Sat night race at the dirt track. We just turn the AC on High fan and sleep like babies. Wake up the next morning and they are all gone. Now that we have all ducted AC's I don't know what we are going to do without the white noise. :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_2355.jpg
    IMG_2355.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2349.jpg
    IMG_2349.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 37

bigdob24

Mine would not be ducted. Just hung in the bedroom vent, may not even go with a thermostat and just have controls on the unit.
Anyone have a Coleman Mach 8?
They make a 9500-13500- and 15000 also looking at a heat pump , any thoughts on this brand?
Thinking the 9500 Mach 8 with the 15000 in the living room may fit the bill.
Thanks
Dan

Gaffer

If we add the bedroom air, I will have it installed non ducted. Haven't decided about heat pump option. Is the heat pump quieter?

DocFather

If we add the bedroom air, I will have it installed non ducted. Haven't decided about heat pump option. Is the heat pump quieter?

If it is ducted and tied into the other A/C ducts, you will have that much more efficiency in the L/R on a 100°+ day.

TxCowboy

The Coleman Mach Mach 8 looks pretty good.

What does an RV center normally charge to install a system like this in a bedroom that is already pre-wired to receive the AC unit?