Tire Concerns!

Georgia_Biker

Less than an hour away from home after being out for a week I had a tire shred and of course sheet metal and fiberglass damage occurred. We have a one year old BH3610RE with TOWMAX STR tires.

I was able to top safely and install the spare and limp home. This was on the left side. The lead tire had a deep cut on the sidewall and the rear tire was shredded down to the rim. This led me to believe I ran over something which cut the leading tire and punctured the rear one. Tire pressures was 80PSI and temps at 44 and speed app 60mph. I have monitors.

I have, however, been reading comments on the BH Forum about the factory installed TOWMAX tires and horror stories. I have to buy two tires already,do I need to change brands and buy four?

Would appreciate your comments.

scottyb

Less than an hour away from home after being out for a week I had a tire shred and of course sheet metal and fiberglass damage occurred. We have a one year old BH3610RE with TOWMAX STR tires.

I was able to top safely and install the spare and limp home. This was on the left side. The lead tire had a deep cut on the sidewall and the rear tire was shredded down to the rim. This led me to believe I ran over something which cut the leading tire and punctured the rear one. Tire pressures was 80PSI and temps at 44 and speed app 60mph. I have monitors.

I have, however, been reading comments on the BH Forum about the factory installed TOWMAX tires and horror stories. I have to buy two tires already,do I need to change brands and buy four?

Would appreciate your comments.

There are many topics about the Towmax tires. You may have hit something on the road, but your situation is typical. Keep reading and then you can decide. I replaced mine (6 tires) before my new rig ever hit the road.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Road hazards can happen to anyone. But if it were me, I'd change to a tire with less "bad press" for unexpected blowouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Yes, replace all 4 tires....5 if you can. Most, but not all people replace their tires with the Goodyear G614's. Not cheap...but what is peace of mind worth. Whatever you decide, use a LT tire. The GY tires inflate to 110#'s.

BTW, keep the old tires for now. There is a PH# on left side of the portal page for "Tredit tires". Call them and you might get a few dollars for whats left and they might step up for the repair cost for the damage to your coach. I would not say anything about road hazard damage until you have a tire man inspect the bad tires. For all you know, the cut on the front tire was caused by something being torn off the coach by the rear tire tread that came off.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
When one tire blew the other 3 were then (probably) overloaded. With the tires being suspect to start with I would definitely replace all 4.

Georgia_Biker

I hate to admit but, after reading all of the comments here and on TOMAX site I think I am opping for different tires. I am going to research the Good Year tires - seems to be a good choice!

Thanks for you help

RobP

Just replace all 6 of mine yesterday with the G614 LT tires. My Coach is brand new but after reading all these stories about the tow max tires I would not have been comfortable leaving the "blow max" tires on. You would think after all the trouble people are having with these tires Heartland would step up and put a better tire on to begin with. It's hard to swallow a 2000 dollar tire purchase after just buying the coach, but peace of mind is worth a lot and I already have the blow max sold. So at least I wasn't out the whole 2000. :D

Georgia_Biker

Rob-

I found the GS14's on AMAZON for $339. each including shipping. My next concern is the original rims on my BH3610RE are OK or the GS's? Were yours OK?

sandman

Just lost two towmax tires last weekend at the same time. replaced all four with G614"s. they had about 3000 miles on them. i guess i was lucky to get that far.

RobP

Yea that price is about right, I gave 341 a piece for mine but that included installation.

Georgia_Biker

Do I have the right rims for Good Year G614 RST Tires

I am getting ready to change out the remaining TOWMAX tires on my BH3610RE. I am changing to the Good Year G614 RST tires. Are the Aluminum wheels that come on this unit correct? I cannot find any wheel information on the Big Horn website.

Birchwood

Why does Heartland install Towmax tires after all the complaints.Is it that Goodyear can't supply the 614's or is Heartland trying to save a few bucks.I think Heartland might be cheaping OUT!I have been running 614's for 5 years.Keep them at 110psi when I travel .Have replaced 3 of them due to alignment and balancing issues but no blow outs.I usually replace one a year and keep them rotated .They are over $400 each in Canada.

jimtoo

Re: Do I have the right rims for Good Year G614 RST Tires

I am getting ready to change out the remaining TOWMAX tires on my BH3610RE. I am changing to the Good Year G614 RST tires. Are the Aluminum wheels that come on this unit correct? I cannot find any wheel information on the Big Horn website.

You need to look on the back side of your rim, you will find max load rating and max psi rating. Wheel may need to be removed to see the stamps or casting numbers.

I combined the threads since it is all the same subject.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Do I have the right rims for Good Year G614 RST Tires

Having read enough of these posts, I told my Deputy Chief to INSIST his dealer remove the TowMax tires that his new SOB 5'er was coming with and get Goodyears as part of the build. He said the dealer was P and Moaning about it, but did it at risk of losing the sale. Heartland isn't the only one putting that junk on the road.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes, 3/4 of the large 5vers we looked over at the RV show had TowMax. The other 1/4 were the higher priced models/brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niles

I just want to say that G614's have some issues also. I changed our 3670 to the 614's, has I did on our toyhauler we traded for the BH. Never had a issue on the toyhauler and had many miles on it. The BH is another story, with maybe 15 to 20k on these tires we blew one, at that point I thought it was a freak thing, no problem right, wrong. We went another 2500 miles with no issue. Then less than 40 mile from the house we blew another one,went another 60 mile and blew another. We were able to get off the road the instance these blow outs happened, not saying the other tires didn't get stressed. Just this is so unusual for the 614's please don't ask me if they were under inflated as I do check tires all the time and we are not overloaded. However with all this being said Goodyear took care of all the damage and replaced the tires, I not badmouthing the tires or the company, but sometimes you just have issues no matter what you do. It's all part of the fun of camping, right!! I've said before I drive a truck for a living and goodyear is a large part of it at one time I had 82 tires on the road and all goodyear so my investment in tires was huge, and I've never lost faith in them.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Heres the deal, If you buy off the lot you will get "blowmax" tires except on the Landmarks, it's standard equipment. If you order a coach, you can get the G614's. Buying a RV is not any different than buying anything else. Want better stuff, ya gotta ask and pay for it.