Tire questions

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
I am going to change out the china bombs on my 2011 bighorn 3185 and was wondering whether to put on Michelin XPS Ribs or Goodyear G614 . I keep reading about tire delams and blowouts with Goodyear but not with Michelin. Is that because nobody is running Michelin? Most of the problems seem to be with bigger , heavier trailers if I am reading right .My trailer is not a heavyweight (GVWR 14000) so either tire would be suitable. What is everyone else using?

Rick

rfournelle

Canada-East Region Directors-Retired
We changed to G614 on our BH3055 two years ago (about 8,000 miles) and we've had no problem.

Bob

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Tough call...the Ribs are $50 less a tire but have a 650 lbs. less per tire load rating. It appears the Goodyears are showing more failures lately. The Maxxis have the same load rating as the Ribs at a much lower cost. I run the Maxxis E on my lighter rig even though its overkill.

Gaffer

I'm going to swap my Power Kings for Maxxis before the regional rally in July. I will have about 6k on them by then.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Although we run the 614's, I have never read a report of a Michelin Rib failure! (Doesn't mean they haven't but I just have never seen one in all the years I have followed the RV forums). Goodyear seems to be supportive of those who have had failures, I am not sure about Michelin.

Best Wishes!

vangoes

Ed,
There should be a stamping on the inside of the rim stating the PSI. If you crawl under a look you can see it. Typically the aluminium rims on these models was rated at 110 PSI and painted steel rims are rated at 80 PSI

GOTTOYS

Good idea in my opinion to get rid of them. I went with B.F. Goodrich Commercial LTs on mine in spite of what some people think of using LTs.
I have one trip on them so far. Run nice and cool, handles well...Don

PSF513

When I purchased my BH 3610 in June, I told the dealer I wanted no part of any China Bombs. He had Commercial LTs put on and I have made several long trips with no issues.

SJH

When I purchased my BH 3610 in June, I told the dealer I wanted no part of any China Bombs. He had Commercial LTs put on and I have made several long trips with no issues.

Hello! Please help me out here. I can't find a G rated Michelin XPS, BFGoodrich Commercial, or Maxxis. Are people putting E rated LT tires on 16000 GVWR rigs? I know I am missing something somewhere! Eventually I will need new tires and I had a bad experience with our previous rig and Goodyear's although I hear from many the 614's are excellent tires regardless of what I have read on forums.

Thanks!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Internet information on anything beyond car tires seems to be very limited with most of the manufacturer's websites I've looked at. Frustrating when trying to be informed before talking to a sales clerk cold turkey.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
To my knowledge Michelin does not make a G rated tire. They make E's and the xps rib is an E rated tire.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Hello! Please help me out here. I can't find a G rated Michelin XPS, BFGoodrich Commercial, or Maxxis. Are people putting E rated LT tires on 16000 GVWR rigs? I know I am missing something somewhere! Eventually I will need new tires and I had a bad experience with our previous rig and Goodyear's although I hear from many the 614's are excellent tires regardless of what I have read on forums.

Thanks!
Looks like you have figured it out....If I had your 16000 GVWR rig I'd be looking at 17.5 wheels and tires.

jnbhobe

If I had your 16000 GVWR rig I'd be looking at 17.5 wheels and tires.

If I was going to make a change I would go to 17.5's I can buy 215-75-17.5 -LR-H tires for around $200 ea. mounted and balanced.Goodyear 614's are around $250 ea. I figure that gives me about $50ea toward wheels. I just started looking into this yesterday Kinda has my interest up.

SJH

Looks like you have figured it out....If I had your 16000 GVWR rig I'd be looking at 17.5 wheels and tires.

Wrong guy!:) I was wondering about the member with the BH 3610 that changed to BFG Commercial LT's. I was curious if he ended up with an E rated LT tire on the BH. I have 614's on my 15000 GVWR 3450TS Big Country. FYI The 3450 on the Heartland website lists the GVWR at 15,500 but the placard on the rig lists it at 15000. Not sure why they are different!

Best Wishes!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
My 2008 Bighorn 3400RE is rated at 14,800. I changed my tires out for XPS Ribs as soon as I bought the trailer. Lost the springs on the right rear axle. Frame landed on the XPS Ribs. They did not go down.....
I have not had a flat or any other problem with the Ribs. They will support your 14,000 trailer. 14,800 GVWR. 80% is 11,200/4 = 2800# . 14,800 85% is 11,900# 11,900/4=2975# per tire. Ribs rated at 3040# .. Now you can get real picky about the numbers like each tire will not have the same weight on it... but they are well with in the tolerance of the Ribs.

Michelin does not make a 16" G rated tire.

I also have Michelin tires on my TV and will continue using Michelin tires on both the TV and Trailer.

That is what I do....
BC

caissiel

On my previous trailer with 15's I had to go to load range C LT tires that were rated for 1950Lbs per tires and they were a world of difference better then load range D, Good Year marathon tires with a load range of 2750LBS. Never had any tire problem in 6 years. Use to blower a marathon tire at every long trip and got tired of fixing the trailer skirts at every blowout. There was not enough rubber on the threads and the rear tire got all the scraps that the front tire throw back and it blew the rear everytime. LT tires are better protected against road hazards with more rubber on the threads. They ran harded so I added 10 more psi air in them.