TV Surround Sound

We have the Jensen JWM990 unit and I need some assistance getting it to come through my TV (LG). Any help would be appreciated. I am not very savvy when it comes to electronics. :(

Thanks,
Terry

danemayer

Hi Terry,

What are you having difficulty with? Getting the DVD video to play on the TV? Heartland usually runs a cable but it may be an AVI cable (White/Red/Yellow). Have you tried changing the inputs on the TV menu?

danemayer

If you mean you want the Directv audio to come through the TV speakers, when you connect the Directv receiver to the TV using an HDMI cable, that will usually send both video and audio from the receiver to the TV.

If you mean you want the Directv audio to come out of the surround sound speakers, that's trickier. The Directv receiver will probably have either an Optical TOS or Digital Coax audio output. The Jensen unit has both types of inputs. You'll need to look at the Directv outputs on the back of the receiver and get a cable that connects to the Jensen. Then you'll have to run the cable, which could mean you have to remove the Jensen bezel and pull it out of the mounting to get to the connectors.

Our RV Audio Connections User Guide has some pictures and cable references that will help you identify the connectors and get the correct cable. Both Optical TOS and Digital Audio Coax cables are available at Amazon.com and other sources.

SNOKING

On our 48" Insignia if you go into TV's setup and turn off the speakers, it routes the audio to the Jensen on the optical connection.

As I recall it has settings of auto, on and off.

Good morning, Our TV is an LG but I wouldn't think its much difference as far as the connections. I will try that. thanks,

- - - Updated - - -

Good morning Dan, Yes I want the sound to come out of the surround sound speakers. I am assuming that bezel "pops" off? Appreciate all the help! You definitely helped me on my black tank flush and the Anderson 4-way valve several days ago! Terry

SNOKING

I used a table knife to pry the bezel off the Jensen to plug in XM Radio into the audio rear input. There was dark blue/purple optical cable already between the TV and the optical input on the Jensen. Also I learned that to switch sources on the Jensen input requires a push of enter to confirm the selection, and that volume has to be turned up a lot!

Chris

danemayer

Good morning Dan, Yes I want the sound to come out of the surround sound speakers. I am assuming that bezel "pops" off?
Terry

Terry, I can't be sure, but often they can be gently pried off. I think sometimes there are screws that may be covered, so if you see small round markings in the corners, there may be screws underneath.

Btw, the screws, whether behind the bezel or through it, are probably #2 Square Bit. A #2 phillips will usually work, but sometimes doesn't get a good grip on the screw. If you don't have a #2 Square Bit, you'll find it a very useful addition to your toolkit in the RV because it fits most all of the screws used.

NHCelt

You shouldn't have to remove the bezel. Select your tv input, then select either optical or hdmi arc on the Jensen unit... HDMI arc will only work if the tv is connected with hdmi. Both work on mine.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Guys, I appreciate all the help! This heartland forum has been very helpful since we got our 3875 less than a year ago
Good morning, I want to thank everyone for responding. After all your thoughts and comments I now have surround sound through my TV. I confirmed by looking at the back of the TV and the Jensen unit that it was already hooked up with an optical cord. I then went to the menu on my LG TV and went to the sound option and sure enough there was a selection for "optical" connection! Thanks again for everyone's help. Terry