Unbelievable

bobca1

A "heartland dealer" can refuse to do warranty repair on a unit that was not sold by them? I have never heard of this. I purchased my Cyclone in San Diego 8 months ago, now I am in Ventura County and need warranty work done, tried calling the closest according to heartland dealer locator. That is All Valley RV in Acton (50 mi), they then tell me they only do warranty service on RVs that they sell. Is this normal in RV industry?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

RoadJunkie

Not untypical, but I've never run into a dealer that wouldn't do warranty work. I have to say that I really prefer independent RV repair technicians over dealers anyway. Heartland does support the option with pre approval. Dealers typically support sales before the non-loyalist and they keep the rig for a long, long, time.

danemayer

You're not the first to get a response like this. But usually the dealers finesse it by telling you they're really busy and won't be able to look at your trailer for a long, long time.

Unlike the auto industry, in the RV industry, the dealers seem to have more control than the manufacturers.

bobca1

Well, seems I live in a horrible location for RV service. Tried calling 3 local rv repair shops (thousand oaks area) they all have 2-3 month wait for appointments and have no interest in working with heartland to do warranty work. So, help if anyone has any suggestions for how to get warranty work done in my area please let me know. Otherwise looks like I am making a 150 mi trip to San Diego just to get sewer valve fixed :(

Ladiver

Bob, what's happening with the valve? My black leaks a little even with the valve closed. I put a second valve at the end to prevent getting sprayed.

bobca1

I'll give heartland a call tomorrow hopefully they have a solution, maybe I can pay for repairs myself and then reimbursed for some portion of repair...

bobca1

You're not the first to get a response like this. But usually the dealers finesse it by telling you they're really busy and won't be able to look at your trailer for a long, long time.

Unlike the auto industry, in the RV industry, the dealers seem to have more control than the manufacturers.
No finesse, not even a sorry, just a "nope we don't do warranty work unless you bought it here"

bobca1

Bob, what's happening with the valve? My black leaks a little even with the valve closed. I put a second valve at the end to prevent getting sprayed.
It's the second grey tank, valve not closing all the way. I see a cable that goes into the enclosed space, it's probably a simple fix but don't have easy access to this area. Yeah I could add a second valve, but was hoping to have a dealer fix the source of the problem. But if it takes 2-3 months I'll be doing something myself! :)

MTPockets

I called to schedule an appointment with the Dealer in Elkhart, Indiana that Heartland told me to call. They said they would look at it, but since I didn't buy there, there would be a $150 new customer charge... I told them to forget it and I would buy my next unit somewhere else as well... I ended up having a mobile tech check it out for half the price... I only wish new buyers could get the info on these dealers before they buy, and support better dealers.

wdk450

I encourage all prospective buyers to check out their dealer's service department on RVServiceReviews.com I would encourage you to post about your experiences with these dealers there.
Heartland service keeps a list of 3rd party RV repairers they have had good experiences with.
This is the end of the high season for RV use and repairs, so most shops are going to be busy.
I wonder if you checked out any of the RV service providers on the desert in the nearby Palmdale/Lancaster areas? A lot of trailers/RV's out there.

Ladiver

Bob, I know it is not close for you, but better than San Diego, the guys at McBride's RV in Chino are pretty good. They are an independent shop and will help you work with Heartland for reimbursement. They are my go-to shop for warranty and non warranty items.

bobca1

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks for the suggestion was not aware such device existed! Given its going to be a while (2-3) months before I can get the valve fixed at the source, I'll go with the second valve too. Here's what I just ordered:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BGHYJS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

That valve you got is a great fix. One thing we do is we have replaced the solid drain cap with one that has a garden hose size fitting on it. When we are traveling we leave that garden hose fitting cap off and any residual liquid in the line drains off. Upon arrival we put the cap back on prior to removing the cap. Also be sure the new valve is closed while traveling especially with the small cap off.

bobca1

Thanks I'll consider this option.
What I will probably do is plan 2-3 months ahead and get a Monday AM appointment scheduled at La Mesa RV in San Diego (where I purchased) and drop it there after a weekend trip. I have an increasing list of things for them to look and I want to make sure I get it in before the warranty expires:
In addition to the grey water valve not closing right,
1. ball bearings fell out of the drawer slides under the refrigerator
2. 2nd electric recliner stopped working, not a problem with the connector like the first one
3. rear awning will not retract (gets stuck) unless I push on it at the same time someone else is pressing the retract switch

Things I fixed myself:
4. garage glass door fell off - yes the whole door including frame. it was attached to the trim with about 35 screws but the trim was attached to studs with few staples
5. 12V system stopped charging, plug worked itself loose and fell out
6. Trim around the bedroom door and closet door fell off

Bob, I know it is not close for you, but better than San Diego, the guys at McBride's RV in Chino are pretty good. They are an independent shop and will help you work with Heartland for reimbursement. They are my go-to shop for warranty and non warranty items.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Thanks for the suggestion was not aware such device existed! Given its going to be a while (2-3) months before I can get the valve fixed at the source, I'll go with the second valve too. Here's what I just ordered:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BGHYJS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I bought that same valve at a Camping World store for $24.95.

I'm having trouble trying to get my dealer to look at my trailer to get some warranty work done.

I may call Heartland tomorrow and see who else in my area will do warranty repairs.

There is a small RV repair shop about five miles from here over in Brighton, CO . . . perhaps I'll drive over there tomorrow and talk to them.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I encourage all prospective buyers to check out their dealer's service department on RVServiceReviews.com I would encourage you to post about your experiences with these dealers there.

Are there any other review sites out there?

They don't have very many or any recent reviews for anyone around here.

bobca1

Are there any other review sites out there?

They don't have very many or any recent reviews for anyone around here.

Quite a few reviews for RV shops in my area on Yelp. I had to search by the shop name though to find it, Yelp doesn't do do well if you try to search for "rv service" or repair.

Hippy

Bob, I bought the same valve at camping world. Only reason cause I would always get at least a half of cup when removing the cap.
I've had good luck with Giant RV in Montclair. I had the same issue with grey tank 1 which they repaired. Call, ask for Tony or Ryan in service. Let them know whats wrong and have them get a pre approval with a set appointment date for the repair.

Greengas

Just some out of the box thinking but if the owner does the warranty repair can they file the claim with heartland and get paid just like an rv repair facility would?