Uneven wear

browny

I prepared to make about a two hour trip with our 3070 Bighorn. First I checked tire pressure, which I always set at 5psi below maximum of 80 psi. I am always checking tires at gas stops, at the destination before the return trip etc. I inspected the tires before leaving on the two hour trip, the tires looked fine, with even wear. First fill up the tires looked fine, upon reaching our destination, I thought that the tire on the left front looked as though both sides of the very outside thread were worn down slightly, but I thought that the mud that I backed through made it look that way. But on the way back home, I could tell that the tire was wearing uneven, the rear left tire seems to be worn the slightly. Could it be that the last time I parked it, that the axles could have been slightly twisted, and by sitting that way got out of alignment?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Others will chime in, but the first question is, what brand of tire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimtoo

Hi browny,

Not likely that your axles got out of alignment because of being parked that way unless you really cranked it in crooked and left it that way for a long time... but even then the tire would most likely give first. Check the brand of your tires,, probably Towmax unless you have previously replaced them. Probably getting ready to throw the tread or blowout. Get rid of the Towmax tires.

Jim M

browny

I went out and checked my tires, and your right, they are Towmax. I am not familiar with this brand of tire, and haven't read any of the Blogs about these tires yet. We have made three trips to Estes Park Co., one to Denver, one to Branson, and several short trips around our area. Three of the tires look really good, but looks may be deceiving??

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Another thing to reconsider is your inflation.
Unless you know the accurate weight of your trailer you should inflate to the tire max psi.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

buddyboy

I went out and checked my tires, and your right, they are Towmax. I am not familiar with this brand of tire, and haven't read any of the Blogs about these tires yet. We have made three trips to Estes Park Co., one to Denver, one to Branson, and several short trips around our area. Three of the tires look really good, but looks may be deceiving??

With these tires, everything is deceiving. Count your blessings that it didn't blow and take out part of your trailer. Just search the word Towmax and head to the tire shop. Words from experience.

danemayer

If your tire has a visible defect, consider making it available to NHTSA for examination. If they determine that there is a manufacturing defect, your contribution could help many other owners.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Normally, a tire wearing on the inside and outside is under inflation. With a "blowmax" it could be anything. GET RID OF THEM ASAP.