Warming light in the UDC

jdfishing

Anyone try using a light bulb behind the UDC to keep the water pump and lines from freezing? What wattage bulb? Any cautions or advice would be appreciated.

danemayer

I hang a 100W flood lamp above the water pump. Home Depot sells them along with inexpensive reflectors that have spring-loaded clamps. You'll want to make sure that it's clamped securely so it doesn't fall down. The bulb gets pretty hot and you don't want it to contact the floor by accident. You also don't want it to fall down while towing.

I also hang a drop light with 60W bulb in the UDC to keep that area warm.

Keep in mind that you'll be plugging into the GFCI circuit. If a hairdryer in the bathroom trips the breaker, the lamps go out until you reset the breaker.

Another thing to be aware of is that the hot air will rise and may warm the wall on which your thermostat is mounted. In that case the thermostat will respond to the heat behind the wall and shut off the furnace before the trailer is warm. You may have to set the thermostat at a higher setting than you're used to.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We use one of these with a 100 watt blub. Make sure the clamp is tight, and check it regularly. The bulb gets hot and can melt things.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357452574.902251.jpg

Checking on ours one evening, noticed it was too close to the winterizing hose, and had started to discolor it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoefler

I use a small ceramic space heater in the basement on a seperate thermostat set at 55*. Heats the entire area behind the wall, including the black tank, galley grey tank, water pump, back of the UDC, etc.. The floor is warm, and have had no problems. We have had low temps in the low teens and have been very comfortable.

rick_debbie_gallant

Does any one have a remote temp sensor some where in the belly? Thinking that might be a good idea.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If any of you have the exposed heater duct in the basement that goes to the BR. All ya got to do is drill some holes in it and it will keep the basement warm. I did on our BH and it works great. One other thing that can be done is, remove the basement wall and see how close the hearter plenum is to the UCD. You can tap into the plenum box and run a 2" duct into the UCD area.

TravelTiger

Does any one have a remote temp sensor some where in the belly? Thinking that might be a good idea.

We picked up some from Walmart. We put the sensors in the underbelly on the door side, one near the steps, the other behind the wheels, so they are farther away from the heat source. We felt like if these areas were still above freezing, the areas (around the tank valves and water pipes on the off-door side) would be plenty warm.

On our recent trip to Durango, we had lows ranging from the 30s to -9. We kept our furnace thermostat at about 63, and the underbelly temps ranged from 45-34.

Upon research, I found this setup which might work well:

http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weath...&keywords=Indoor+outdoor+wireless+thermometer

You could use two sensors in the underbelly, and one outside. All read by the base unit.

Last edited:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
My furnace ducts are right near the back of the UDC. I think I will try to place a small furnace vent in that area, that can be opened to whatever degree needed.
Also the heat lamp that was mentioned seems like a good idea. I think I will look into mounting a permanent switched fixture over the UDC as a backup.

All this and I run from cold whenever possible, :eek:but it's inevitable.

We are are 70 miles north of Mexico in the desert at sea level and have been getting near freezing temps every night. Trace

TravelTiger

Thanks for all the great info. Sounds like some sort of heat in the basement is a good idea.

It's not so much the basement storage area, but the "behind the wall" area, behind the Universal Docking Center (UDC), where many of the hoses and water pump are potentially susceptible to freezing temps... This area behind the wall is not usually reached by the furnace heat pumped into the underbelly. If the outside temps drop below 30, I would say this area needs attention with a heat source.... At least a lightbulb that can generate some warmth.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Since 2007 we have been fulltiming and we stay just north of Dallas (where we are now) the temp gets down to about 24*. We have had the water freeze only one time. I keep 2 150W bulbs running in the basemet with the reflector shown above. I also have an electric heater dialed down to 40* setting in there also, incase the bulbs burn out during a night. As indicate above I have also removed the wall to open the area behind the UDC. On my water line I have a 25ft hose and 2 pipe heater strips, running in different directions to acess the power, covered in insulation and taped shut. These are plugged into the 20a service on the shore pedestal using an extension cord.

BC

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We use one of these with a 100 watt blub. Make sure the clamp is tight, and check it regularly. The bulb gets hot and can melt things.

View attachment 22693

Checking on ours one evening, noticed it was too close to the winterizing hose, and had started to discolor it.

I have used the same lamp in the area behind the UDC. I've also used a space heater set at low temp. Once we froze up and we were drawing water from a 5 gallon bucket placed in the basement storage area using the pump winterizing line. That was fun! Had 2 buckets, when one was empty we switched the hose and went for a refill.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I have used the same lamp in the area behind the UDC. I've also used a space heater set at low temp. Once we froze up and we were drawing water from a 5 gallon bucket placed in the basement storage area using the pump winterizing line. That was fun! Had 2 buckets, when one was empty we switched the hose and went for a refill.

The innovative things we RVer's come up with never ceases to amaze me! :)

GOTTOYS

We've spent many nights over the past few Winters when the temp went into the teens. I have no extra heat sources and have had no problems except once. When I did have a freeze up it was where the water hose comes from the water tank. There is a tee fitting at the tank and one portion goes outside to the tank drain. That part is uninsulated and can cause the tee to freeze up. I don't worry about the area where the pump is as this is heated from your furnace. JMHO..Don

TravelTiger

area where the pump is as this is heated from your furnace. JMHO..Don

Don,

Not in all cases. Our underbelly heating is in the 8" space below the floor... since we do not have the drop frame, anything at the basement level (including behind the basement wall) is not heated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mlburst1

We have a Lasko MyHeat 200 Watt Electric Portable Personal Heater (http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202363...productId=202363459&storeId=10051&R=202363459) plugged into a Thermo Cube Plug-in Thermostat 15A - On at 35 degrees F Off at 45 degrees F (http://www.apelectric.com/TC-3-Thermo-Cube-Plug-in-Thermostat-15A-p/tc3.htm) - we have been using this combo for the last three winters - works great!

As a safety precaution, I always check that the heater is sitting upright in the basement before plugging the thermostat into the plug in the UDC.

As a bonus, the bedroom floor stays warm when it's below freezing outside.

Mike