Water coming in when bringing in slide outs

Liz

After a rain, when I bring in both of my slide outs, much water comes in on corners, especially one corner. I do not have any awnings on the slide outs. What can be done to prevent the water coming in?

danemayer

Hi Liz,

Sounds like water must be accumulating on top of the slides. Normally they are slightly tilted so that water runs off. Then the wiper seals would squeegee the remaining water off.

So that leads me to ask 1) if your trailer is level, and 2) if there is a slight tilt on the tops of the slides to allow water runoff, and 3) if your wiper seal on top is in place.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Short term fix is to get on a ladder and squeegee the top before retracting. Move off to the side and observe the wiper seals while someone retracts the slide. Ideally, they should move in the same direction as the slide with good deflection.

Slide toppers would help prevent water accumulating on top as well as prevent twigs, acorns and other debris from getting trapped under the seals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roller4tan

I think you could raise the front of the trailer a few degrees when you are ready to pack up. Allow the water to drain off, relevel the trailer and run in the slides. As posted earlier, investigate why water is pooling on the top.

DougS

Doug S
After a rain, when I bring in both of my slide outs, much water comes in on corners, especially one corner. I do not have any awnings on the slide outs. What can be done to prevent the water coming in?

Liz, I made a top of slide sweeper some twelve years ago out of 1” PVC pipe attached to a mop head. The best way to describe it is it looks like an upside down J. The sweeper unscrews into 3 pieces. I also sometimes put towels at the inside corners of the slide on really heavy rains.

Attachments

• 8FBCF93F-7AD7-4587-AE8E-2A7BC42420AF.jpg
    8FBCF93F-7AD7-4587-AE8E-2A7BC42420AF.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 81

Liz

Hi Liz,

Sounds like water must be accumulating on top of the slides. Normally they are slightly tilted so that water runs off. Then the wiper seals would squeegee the remaining water off.

So that leads me to ask 1) if your trailer is level, and 2) if there is a slight tilt on the tops of the slides to allow water runoff, and 3) if your wiper seal on top is in place.

Thanks all all for your suggestions. Very helpful.

PondSkum

I had water come in my slide for the first time this weekend. After climbing on the roof to investigate, I noticed the slide "wiper" was tucked under about half way, so I believe that to be the point of entry for water. My question is, is the wiper supposed to stay OUTSIDE of the gap as the slide moves in/out, or is it supposed to fold into the gap as the slide goes in? If it's supposed to stay out, I'm assuming I need to clean the top of the slide and put something to help lubricate the wiper to actually "slide" on the top instead of grabbing an folding into the gap. I should have snapped a photo, but didn't think about it at the time.

danemayer

I had water come in my slide for the first time this weekend. After climbing on the roof to investigate, I noticed the slide "wiper" was tucked under about half way, so I believe that to be the point of entry for water. My question is, is the wiper supposed to stay OUTSIDE of the gap as the slide moves in/out, or is it supposed to fold into the gap as the slide goes in? If it's supposed to stay out, I'm assuming I need to clean the top of the slide and put something to help lubricate the wiper to actually "slide" on the top instead of grabbing an folding into the gap. I should have snapped a photo, but didn't think about it at the time.

More recent trailers are shipping with "seal flippers" that help flip the seal into the desired position. You can no doubt get them from Heartland Parts. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They come with adhesive on one side and can be applied to all surfaces, or just the surfaces where most needed.
seal flipper.jpg

PondSkum

More recent trailers are shipping with "seal flippers" that help flip the seal into the desired position. You can no doubt get them from Heartland Parts. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They come with adhesive on one side and can be applied to all surfaces, or just the surfaces where most needed.

Thanks for that info! I don't think mine has those, at least not on the top.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The seals should move in the direction of travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary521

Mine HAD the seal flippers on the roof of the slides. I have more of that stuff (flippers) that Heartland sent me. It comes in a strip and you cut to length. I was thinking of fabing something different out of Eternabond for the roof. I added more flippers to the side seals to help flip those.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
On both my previous Heartland Trail Runner and current Prowler, those slide flippers won't stay on.