Water Filtration

IrishReb

We are setting up our new RV (one week new) for our initial outing. Many of our initial questions have been answered from this site..... great group. Now comes the question what set up we should use for filtering our water. I read the article in the latest new letter on line, but I was wondering what you all have or do about filtration. Would like some suggestions. John

davebennington

I installed a whole house water filter in the UDC, however I am not sure if the newer rigs have the space to do that. I have seen whole house filters mounted outside mounted a number of different ways, everything from a store brought holder to a milk carton. Sometimes you have to be creative.

dave

Garypowell

After 15 years I just installed a whole house charcoal filter. Before that I used under the sink kind but there was usually not enough room and Linda wanted the bathroom water filtered.

My biggest concern was flow rate and I had no issues. Before my next trip I am going to install a particle filter and regulator.

I use a bucket to install what I have and it sits outside of the rig when in use and protects the inside from water drips when moving.

rick_debbie_gallant

I put together a plastic tote which holds:

1. Whole house particle filter mounted to and ahead of charcoal filter.

2. Whole house charcoal filter (mounted to inSide of tote.)

3. The tote has enough room to store the filter wrench and all the potable hose to run to a hose bib.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Congratulations on your new Sundance! How exciting!!!

Whatever filtration system you pick, make sure you look at the flow rate of the filter. There are a lot of inexpensive filters out there, but they limit your flow of water into your coach so bad that it is hard to take a shower or wash dishes, as there is not enough water flow to keep up. We use the Hydro Life RV/Marine inline filtration kit which provides 2.5 gallons per minute of water flow, but yet has great filtration qualities. I could not believe the difference when we switched to this from some of the cheaper in line filters.

Another option if you are handy is to install an inline filter for your kitchen sink or an entire drinking water filtration kit so you are only filtering the water going to your kitchen sink or in the later case, your drinking water only. In the long run this is a cheaper method as the filters last longer because they get used less. The trade off is, that the water going to the rest of the coach is not filtered and therefore can often have some particles and bacteria that might have otherwise been filtered out.

Rod Ditrich

lwmcguir

We use a whole house type that uses the standard 10" filters available anywhere for a few dollars. A 10-20 micron is fine and you can go with either a sediment or combination filter. If you want to take out the chlorine then use a charcoal or combination charcoal filter. The housings typically come with 3/4 inch female tapped fittings. Use a couple of hose adapters and you are in business. Get a clear housing and that way you can monitor your filter condition without taking the housing off. Cheap, simple, and reliable and the filters are available in any large box or hardware store.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Here is how I have a water filter for the trailer.

DSC_0236.jpg

Westinghouse water filter canister from Lowes, a white 20miron filter and a charcoal filter 5micron connected with a short nipple between the canisters. I put my water regulator on the down side to keep it from getting clogged with minerals.

This works for us.

BC

donr827

If we are staying at a CG that has good city water we do not use the filter. If this is not the case, I use a one cartridge filter for sediment and most other items that you would like to remove. Go to the Water Filter Store web site for a lot of good information.
Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
OK, I'll put my filtration system up, too. I use a RV-SED 1 (1 micron) sediment filter, followed by a F1Pb (0.5 micron) charcoal filter. Both filters are rated to flow 3 - 4 gpm. The Watts 55BG regulator comes after them (6 - 9 gpm), followed by a water meter. With the exception of the water meter, it all resides in a covered tote under the rig. It all feeds into the CPVC manifold I made and mounted in the UDC. All my extra hose and fittings fit in the tote and stores in the basement when not in use.

The filters, canisters, regulator, and my primary supply hose all came from The RV Water Filter Store.

The long black PVC pipe hanging by bungee cords on the frame in Photo #2 is where I store my coiled garden hose for washing the rig. It hangs from the ceiling of the basement when in winter storage.
View attachment 23326View attachment 23328View attachment 23327

dave10a

Water filter in a serviceable and convenient location in my trailer was not a Heartland design priority. I had to make a modification to the basement to include a filter and water softener that could be easily serviced. There is plenty of room behind the UDC and all it take is some carpentry and pumbing tools and will power to do the job. I don't know why Heartland did not do this in the first place.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
We are setting up our new RV (one week new) for our initial outing. Many of our initial questions have been answered from this site..... great group. Now comes the question what set up we should use for filtering our water. I read the article in the latest new letter on line, but I was wondering what you all have or do about filtration. Would like some suggestions. John
My first question is....are you going to drink the water? You bought a Sundance so I assume you are somewhat thrifty. No filter is really needed if you buy bottled water for drinking and cooking.

danemayer

I don't know why Heartland did not do this in the first place.
dave10a,

If most people agreed with your viewpoint, Heartland would probably have done what you suggest. But maybe not everyone views it the same as you do.

I can think of a few reasons not to add a filter and water softener behind the UDC.

1. I don't want to unload the basement and open the wall behind the UDC to do routine maintenance.
  2. I don't feel the need for a water softener.
  3. I like being able to change filters without having to worry about spilling water in the basement.
  4. I don't want a pressurized plastic container inside the basement waiting to develop a leak.
  5. I would be annoyed if prices went up for all this stuff I don't want.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Birchwood

We use the blue disposable filters you can puchase at Wal Mart.My wife won't drink anything but commercial
bottled water so whats the point! Costs us $12 every three months to filter our water + 27 cents a gallon
for the commercial stuff.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Water Filtration When it goes bad..

This is why I do not want a water filter inside my trailer. I had one break in another SOB and I do not want this to happen in this one.

This one broke just last year. I did not have it in the basement of my Bighorn

This canister broke at the top.
DSC_2539 [1024x768].JPG

And if it had been inside my trailer.....

DSC_2535 [1024x768].JPG

I think I will keep mine outside. Water and an RV does not go well together when it is loosened..

FWIW
BC

DuaneG

I also use the large blue canister (5 microns) outside with a water regulator between the canister and the intake to the 5th wheel.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00523AMBC/ref=mw_dp_mpd?pd=1&qid=1362278997&sr=8-3

This single unit has worked for six months and its still sending us clean and odorless water.

I still use a pitcher charcoal filter to filter it again for the water we drink or use for ice. I like really clean drinking water and a little overkill is okay.

We had a water faucet (outside shower) exploded on our first trip. Flooded the underbelly and was a lot of work getting the water out and drying the area. We now have cut off valves that will prevent that from happening again. So any water related items that can stay outside will stay outside.

I did replace the inlet and outlet this week because I cracked one of the plastic fittings. I replaced them with brass and they are now solid.

hoefler

I installed a whole house filter in the UDC. I use a 5 micron charcoal filter. I usually get a full season on the filter. I also installed a Reverse Osmosis filtering system to feed the ice make and a counter top mounted faucet. We used to haul water, but it took up so much room and didn't need the added weight. The whole system weighs about the same as 2 gallons of water. Used to haul a case of bottles and 2 cases of gallons ( 3 gallons to a case ).

dave10a

dave10a,

If most people agreed with your viewpoint, Heartland would probably have done what you suggest. But maybe not everyone views it the same as you do.

I can think of a few reasons not to add a filter and water softener behind the UDC.

1. I don't want to unload the basement and open the wall behind the UDC to do routine maintenance.
  2. I don't feel the need for a water softener.
  3. I like being able to change filters without having to worry about spilling water in the basement.
  4. I don't want a pressurized plastic container inside the basement waiting to develop a leak.
  5. I would be annoyed if prices went up for all this stuff I don't want.

That's my 2 cents worth.
g
It doesn't take much to rough things in. Many don't want a washer/dryer but it is roughed in for those who want the convienence. There is a lot of wasted space in the basemnet that Heartland could make available for people to add stuff. It would take thoughtful design to do so. Other, not many, manufacturers make a better attempt to design the basement area for flexabilty to add water filters, water sofenters, solar equipment, battery add-ons and etc. Heartland could think out of the box and flexable design does not need to cost more. BTY serviceing my water filter and softener are not a problem, but did re-work the basement to make it better. Also I added solar and rearragend the batteries that do not require venting as well. Now my "hidden space" in the basement is more sanitary and accessable. There is no reason Heartland could not have done a better job in their design. Of course it would take "thinking out of the box."

hi this has been very helpful. I have a question for you though. My 2013 Bighorn 5th wheel connection to the city water hook up states that the pressure should not be higher then 100 psi, does that mean that I can allow that much pressure to go intot the rig?? what are your thoughts on that?

danemayer

hi this has been very helpful. I have a question for you though. My 2013 Bighorn 5th wheel connection to the city water hook up states that the pressure should not be higher then 100 psi, does that mean that I can allow that much pressure to go intot the rig?? what are your thoughts on that?
Hi energizerbunny,

Are you talking about a label at your City Water Connection that actually says not to exceed 100psi? The trailer manual says not to exceed 60psi and it's been that way for a long time. If you've got a label that says 100psi, I wonder if you could get a picture of it.

CAUTION
A PRESSURE REGULATOR SHOULD ALWAYS
BE USED WHEN CONNECTING TO CITY WATER.
EXCESSIVE WATER PRESSURE CAN DAMAGE
LINES AND CONNECTIONS, CAUSING WATER
DAMAGE TO YOUR RV. MAKE SURE WATER
PRESSURE NEVER EXCEEDS 60 PSI.