Water Heater Feature

alanfred

Situation:

We operate our HW heater on propane and electric when we need quick recovery (wife and I shower back to back). After our showers, I shut the propane switch off. Sometimes I forget to shut the propane off, and sure enough, about 2:00am I hear the propane burner kick on, using additional propane when quick recovery is not needed.

Solution:

Add a circuit to the HW heater that would use AC to hold temp, and turn on the propane when demand rises. As soon as demand drops the propane would shut off.

Rational:

I would much rather use electric when available, especially if it's included with the RV site. Even if the electric is not included, it's easier to just pay the electric bill than swap tanks, arrange for propane delivery or take them to be filled.

Thoughts?

danemayer

On a Suburban Water Heater, the propane and electric circuits use separate thermostats. f you could get an adjustable thermostat, you could set the propane thermostat to a 5 or 10 degree lower setting. When there's high demand, and the water temp in the tank drops the 5 or 10 degrees, the propane side would fire up. The rest of the time the electric circuit would kick in first.

On Atwood units, I think there is a single thermostat, so I'm not sure how the circuit board would distinguish one type of temperature drop from another.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
During the summer, our site has metered electric. But I normally run the WH on electric. I do use the propane occasionally, just to be sure it works. Last summer, I ended up having to replace the 12V thermostat to get it to work consistently.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Are all of the water heaters in the Heartland line both gas and electric?

I've been trying to figure out if ours is ever since we got it . . .

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Are all of the water heaters in the Heartland line both gas and electric?

I've been trying to figure out if ours is ever since we got it . . .

I have two hot water switches on my control panel. One is listed as 120v and one is listed as 12v. There is none listed as propane.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have two hot water switches on my control panel. One is listed as 120v and one is listed as 12v. There is none listed as propane.

Atleast on my BC the 12v switch for water heater controls the propane operation. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianharrison

On a Suburban Water Heater, the propane and electric circuits use separate thermostats. f you could get an adjustable thermostat, you could set the propane thermostat to a 5 or 10 degree lower setting. When there's high demand, and the water temp in the tank drops the 5 or 10 degrees, the propane side would fire up. The rest of the time the electric circuit would kick in first.

On Atwood units, I think there is a single thermostat, so I'm not sure how the circuit board would distinguish one type of temperature drop from another.

I am aware of thermostats for both 120V or 12V that come in 130 degree and 140 degree - not sure of their kick in/kick out range, or if they would overlap if you installed one at 130 and one at 140.

The part numbers are on the linked web page.

Link to RV parts webpage.

Brian

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When I replaced the 12V thermostat, I used the 140 degree one since that was all the local RV dealer had. Beforehand, I called Suburban and was told it would not harm anything. I'd just get slightly hotter water if the propane system was engaged. If running both, the 120V side would shut off at 130 and the propane will continue on to 140.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Atleast on my BC the 12v switch for water heater controls the propane operation. Hope that helps.

Thank jassson007. I was pretty sure that was the case but just that small nagging doubt. Just knew nothing on the switch panel says propane when mentioning water heater.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thank jassson007. I was pretty sure that was the case but just that small nagging doubt. Just knew nothing on the switch panel says propane when mentioning water heater.

We had same thought but DW asked during pdi so we would know for sure.

Rodbuster

To expand on this a little more.
If I was boondocking and turned on my generator, would I use the the 12 volt switch or the 120 switch?

danemayer

If I was boondocking and turned on my generator, would I use the the 12 volt switch or the 120 switch?
Dick, that's a very good question. In both cases, the heating is coming by way of the propane supply.

I could be wrong, but my guess is that it would be much more efficient (less propane) to use the propane burner. There have to be significant losses converting the propane to electricity, and then using resistance to heat the water.

Probably the same with the refrigerator. Likely more efficient to run it on propane rather than from the generator.

HornedToad

Heartland only labels the switches on their high end luxury toy hauler line... LOL

There is a pin head size light beside the propane switch that comes on if the DSI fails.

WH Switch.jpgWH Switch 2.jpg

alanfred

When AC power is limited (30amp or less) I operate the HW heater and refrigerator on propane (12v). I also define running on generator power as "limited", generating your own power is very expensive compared to buying it. I only run the generator to charge the house batteries while dry camping (boondocking).