We Need a New App

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
As we push our rig on to the next destination and meet another Heartland rig along the way, I am always curious to know who they are, where they are from, where they are going, have we met them at a rally???

I almost always honk or flash my lights, much to the embarassment of my grandson, but I was thinking about the apps on my Iphone and the possibilities that we could have an app to allow us to do a meet and greet along the highway.

I am sure it is possible; Whiz kids, get to work.

Hogan Cooper

jbeletti

Hogan,

We sort of have one already. Look at the top of any forum screen and click on Tools, then on HOP (Heartland Owners Position). This is a non-real-time way to let other Heartlanders know where you are. It's not an automatic this, so that's why I say we "sort of" have what you want. Each must update their location on the map each time they move, for it to be very effective.

Ideal, and what I think you are looking for is a smartphone app that tracks your position using built-in GPS and updates your location on HOP. Now that would be something!

Two years ago, I wrote a white paper on a MyHeartland app for smart phones with a lot of capability. App development is pretty expensive and to date, I have not been able to secure approval/funding for development. But I just might add a button called "Update HOP" Update Hop would then change your position on the Heartland Owners Position map. Sort of like a Facebook check-in but with location detail only.

Jim

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have been using foursquare for a while now and are having fun with it. But the idea of big government knowing exactly where I am at all times has crossed my mind. But I am not too concerned with that so much. At least at this time.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I think it is FMCA that uses large black numbers on the upper front of the rigs. Then you have a book to look up who it is by the number. That is the old way they did it. The easiest way would be to carry a CB radio and then you could say "how 'bout that eastbound Big Horn...got your ears on good buddy?" :)

jimtoo

I think it is FMCA that uses large black numbers on the upper front of the rigs. Then you have a book to look up who it is by the number. That is the old way they did it. The easiest way would be to carry a CB radio and then you could say "how 'bout that eastbound Big Horn...got your ears on good buddy?" :)

Would you believe that I still do just that???? Almost every time we see another Heartlander, I give'em a shout. Maybe in the last 4 years I have had one response, but I still give it a try.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Would you believe that I still do just that???? Almost every time we see another Heartlander, I give'em a shout. Maybe in the last 4 years I have had one response, but I still give it a try.

Jim M

Yea I still carry a CB radio, it is behind the back seat in a storage compartment. Guess I should really hook it up again. Used to use it all the time but the trash and filthy talk on it all the time made me turn it off and put it up. Too bad the FCC doesn't enforce the regulations on it anymore.

jimtoo

Yea I still carry a CB radio, it is behind the back seat in a storage compartment. Guess I should really hook it up again. Used to use it all the time but the trash and filthy talk on it all the time made me turn it off and put it up. Too bad the FCC doesn't enforce the regulations on it anymore.

The trash talk is not near as bad as it used to be,, some still there especially around towns, but on the highway not to bad. I just use the volume control or make them unhappy by holding the mike button down. I still monitor 19.

MaryandSteve

Past Indiana Chapter Leader (Founding)
Let me weigh in on the CB thing. As a truck Driver(AND A TRUCK OWNER). I must say that over the years the trash talk has gone way down. Most drivers listen to satellite radio.
I do run a CB. As for saying GOOD BUDDY that term has taken on a new meaning.(It now means you might swing the other way) If you see a large truck with a large Yahoo on it give us a shout and we can stop and have coffee. See you down the road.
yahoo.jpg

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
The description of your white paper is exactly what I had in mind. I use the HOP but for some reason; me I'm sure, my marker is a barely visible slanted object. I will keep thinking on the app idea and keep on honking and flashing.

porthole

Retired
Two years ago, I wrote a white paper o.............. expensive and to date, I have not been able to secure approval/funding for development.

well in two years enough Heartlands have been sold to get back to work Jimbo - update that white paper!

rick_debbie_gallant

We have been using foursquare for a while now and are having fun with it. But the idea of big government knowing exactly where I am at all times has crossed my mind. But I am not too concerned with that so much. At least at this time.

I am thinking they may know more about us than our spouse ever will know, to include where we are at.