Wet Equalizer Bolts On 7K Dexter Axles

Gary521

There are kits available from Morryde which have the bolts, heavy duty shackles and bushings.

rxbristol

mlpeloquin

I use this to press in the new bronze bushings while pushing out the plastic bushings.

http://t.harborfreight.com/ball-joint-service-kit-for-2wd-and-4wd-vehicles-60827.html.

I've done it on two Bighorns. Works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used a large C clamp and a bolt. Do use antiseze on the bronze bushings. I coated the outside of the bushings and the inside where you insert them. Don't tap on them to install them. They will crack. Only press them in. I used a punch and a hammer to push out the so called never lube sleeves.

rxbristol

I used a large C clamp and a bolt. Do use antiseze on the bronze bushings. I coated the outside of the bushings and the inside where you insert them. Don't tap on them to install them. They will crack. Only press them in. I used a punch and a hammer to push out the so called never lube sleeves.

Marc, help educate the uneducated. Why did you need the bolt for installation? Why couldn't the C-Clamp be used by itself? What size C-Clamp was it?

mlpeloquin

Marc, help educate the uneducated. Why did you need the bolt for installation? Why couldn't the C-Clamp be used by itself? What size C-Clamp was it?

I used a bolt with a flat end and a hammer to knock the old sleeves out until I went to pop out the sleeve for the spring. Then I switch to a punch. They deformed to the spring opening and were cracked. Then I coated the opening and the exterior of the new bronze sleeve with antiseze. Used a large C-clamp to slowly press the new bronze sleeve in. The clamp is a heavy duty 4 inch clamp with flat ends.

Do keep your fifth wheel hitched up for safety. I used 6X6 and 4X4 blocking to support the fifth wheel on the I beams. Do not rely on the hydraulics to support the fifth wheel when you are under it. Then two bottle jacks to hold the raze and lower the axles. You have to move the springs in order to remove and insert the new sleeves and manipulate them back into position. I actually had to use another C-clamp to finish the alignment for two of the spring bolts.

JanAndBill

The Moryde and Dexter heavy duty shackle kits have BRONZE bushings. Almost everyone says brass, but they are bronze.

Brain dead I meant bronze. Assuming you have air tools and everything on hand to change out about how long did it take you to do it?

mlpeloquin

No air tools. Except to try and remove the lug nuts. Installed using torque wrench and manual 1/2" sockets and I did one side a day, because of what I found. You won't have the problem I had with over torqued lug nuts. Had my dealer replace the motor and gear box for the bedroom slide so I had them grease the bearings at the same time. I had to use a three foot pipe with a breaker bar to get the lugs loose. The air tool could not budge them. With two of them I was lucky to get them off having to use the breaker bar to turn them all the way off. The threads in the lug nuts and lugs pealed off. I had to replace all the lugs and order new lug nuts. My dealer has not seen me since. Do properly torque the hardware and remember to keep the wet bolt grease holes pointed to the front or rear, Otherwise all the pressure from the weight of the fifth wheel will keep you from getting grease pumped in. Do put a light coating of grease on the wet bolts prior to inserting them in durning assembly.

So take your time and be safe. This is heavy work and if rushed, you can get hurt. Done in a careful way it it is not a problem.

rxbristol

Had my dealer replace the motor and gear box for the bedroom slide so I had them grease the bearings at the same time. I had to use a three foot pipe with a breaker bar to get the lugs loose. The air tool could not budge them. With two of them I was lucky to get them off having to use the breaker bar to turn them all the way off. The threads in the lug nuts and lugs pealed off. I had to replace all the lugs and order new lug nuts. My dealer has not seen me since.

Man, I would be REALLY peeved.

VMooreSR

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
In reading through all this, and looking online, all I find are references to Dexter axles, not the original Lippert ones. Is there actually a difference in which kits to use?

JanAndBill

Only use air wrench for removal. Everything goes back with torque wrench according to spec. Thanks for tip on grease hole location

JanAndBill