What generator to buy?

Oregon_Camper

Hi. I am completely 100 percent new to travel trailers. I just bought my first travel trailer for myself so I can talk my granddaughter turkey hunting. I have only used tents and a tent trailer (which was basically a glorified tent with nothing but bed in it). So I have a question...are the generators you have all talked about owning good for my Mallard M28?

Thank in advance...so excited to go on my first trip.

Donna

Donna,

There were a lot of different models tossed around in this thread. Was there one in particular in this thread you liked? All of them will work for your Mallard. The decision comes down to three things

1 - Price - Honda and Yamaha are typically the most expensive, but are very quiet
2- Weight - Larger generators can run the Air Conditioning, but the trade off here is weight. Harder to get in and out of the truck
3 - Noise - While you can buy lower cost generators , they will be louder...some really loud

If you want a worry free, light weight model and $$ isn't the deciding factor, I would recommend the Honda. Easy to start and will run a LONG LONG time on tank of gas.

Link to Amazon

Generator.jpg

Last edited:

Redryak

Oregon Camper

Thanks so much for the information. Not looking for any one generator since I am soooo new to this. Thanks for the link I will start there.

Donna

MJSRIG

If you want AC...then you have two options

1 - Get 2 Honda (or Yamaha) small generators. They are superstars and are very very quiet.

2 - Get a knock-off larger generator....that will wake up folks a mile away. Plus getting it in/out your truck will be a a PITA.

I have one Yamaha EF2000 and love it. Now, I hardly ever use it anymore with my solar panel installation 1.5 years ago."

HelloOregon_Camper

Solar Panel Installation???

Would you tell us more about this please, I would love to run my rig off solar!!!

Oregon_Camper

HelloOregon_Camper

Solar Panel Installation???

Would you tell us more about this please, I would love to run my rig off solar!!!

Can you start a new thread with something like "new solar install" as the title? This way you can get more folks to jump in, as this is an older post and off the topic originally started for.

I'll be MORE than happy to answer any/all of your questions.

...or you can jump in on this thread. I covered a lot of questions here.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/65367-Installing-solar-system?highlight=solar

Desertsky

I have been thinking about replacing my current generator with this one https://amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-100263-Generator/dp/B01FAWMMEY. I like the ability to use propane and not have to haul gas around with me. It is an inverter type and has pretty reasonable decibel rating.

I bought the 3100W gas unit and it is going back to Costco. It will not start my AC unit without going into overload. I have shut off all other breakers just to make sure that something else isn't causing this. Champion tech support said I should have bought a 4800W unit! Even with all the derating due to elevation, etc, it is still within the ratings. It may be defective but Champion was no help at all. I got better customer service from Harbor Freight.

Mrz

Will two Honda 2000 generators in parallel power a 15,000 BTU ac and a residential refrigerator in my 2017 BigHorn?

esscobra

they should- just have them in full power- not eco mode- run the a/c on fan only for a bit to help charge up capacitor- I have a 3000i handi- it runs 1 ac and the fridge and converter-

I agree with most of these other posts. Hondas are the way to go. I wouldn't buy anything but personally. They are so handy. You'll use them more than just camping trips. And having the two is great. Easy to get in and out. If you're not running the a/c running just the one it runs a long time on very little fuel.

Good luck with your search. You'll never be disappointed in the hondas

Desertsky

I bought the 3100W gas unit and it is going back to Costco. It will not start my AC unit without going into overload. I have shut off all other breakers just to make sure that something else isn't causing this. Champion tech support said I should have bought a 4800W unit! Even with all the derating due to elevation, etc, it is still within the ratings. It may be defective but Champion was no help at all. I got better customer service from Harbor Freight.

As a followup, I returned the Champion and bought the new Harbor Freight 3500W inverter generator. It runs like a dream, has electric start, and runs my AC, fridge and battery charger no problem.

carl.swoyer

Glad you found a gen set.
You can also look into a hard start kit for your AC. It's a larger capacitor that store's more start up amperage.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

LBR

I did my research between the Honda and Yamaha 2K gennys, then settled on Yamaha for 2 reasons that were very important and a no brainer to me. That's the beauty that we as consumers have choices...what works for one may not work for another.

crmfghtr

I was thinking of trading up my Honda eu3000is generator to a Honda eu7000is generator. First I'm getting up there in age and I just don't see the bride and I lifting a 262 pound generator in and out of the truck just to run the ac units on our Landmark Key Largo. Someone directed me to these switches (https://www.microair.net/collection...rter-for-air-conditioners?variant=30176048267 ) that can be installed on the ac units. They will allow your ac units (both) to run on a Honda 2000 or 3000 generator. I'm going to try them this next summer. So for now, I will keep my eu3000is because it is much lighter and it's paid for.
Thanks,

esscobra

install the 7k fuel injected onan -runs both a/cs and more and no lifting - press button inside and and your powred up

carl.swoyer

I was thinking of trading up my Honda eu3000is generator to a Honda eu7000is generator. First I'm getting up there in age and I just don't see the bride and I lifting a 262 pound generator in and out of the truck just to run the ac units on our Landmark Key Largo. Someone directed me to these switches (https://www.microair.net/collection...rter-for-air-conditioners?variant=30176048267 ) that can be installed on the ac units. They will allow your ac units (both) to run on a Honda 2000 or 3000 generator. I'm going to try them this next summer. So for now, I will keep my eu3000is because it is much lighter and it's paid for.
Thanks,
Why not Install an Onan genset.
I have the 5500 Marquis LP genset in my 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel , we love it.
Remote start, no gas can ,no worries of laquer building up.
Push the start button and your your power feed is on

Mrz

Has anyone considered or are using the new (out in June 2017) Briggs and Strattion Q6500 inverter generator? This cost effective ($1,499.00 on direct generator.com) generator seems to cover all bases such as using one AC and residential refrigerator with wattage to spare. Appreciate your comments.

Desertsky

Thanks,

Here is another one I found: http://www.gen-pro.biz/_p/prd12/2661499201/product/single-phase-115v-(12-20-rla)

crmfghtr

Why not Install an Onan genset.
I have the 5500 Marquis LP genset in my 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel , we love it.
Remote start, no gas can ,no worries of laquer building up.
Push the start button and your your power feed is on

I might install that later. For now the Honda works fine it is quiet and it will run about 12 hours in eco mode. With the soft start switch(s), it should run 8-9 hours on a tank of fuel. I will only need it when we want to boon-dock somewhere.

avvidclif

There is a 2015 yr 6.5k Onan (only 6.5 instead of 7 because it's propane) with less than 200 hrs on rvnet. Asking 2500

JandL

We just ordered our 2018 Bighorn 3870FB with gen prep. We're not sure what generator we want, that's why we didn't order the generator with it. I was told we could purchase a generator at less cost on line or the store. The BH 3870 comes with two ac's. I ordered our BH with two 40 lb, lp tanks. Any suggestion on which generator and how big would help. Thanks to the Heartland group for your help.

PS. we are moving up from a 35' HitchHiker. Sold the house and will be fulltime.

Last edited:

esscobra

if your going propane - depending on how much you plan to use it- get the 5500 min but I would get the 6500- I installed the 7000 efi gas model in my 3760el and in june heat in texas in middle of nascar track I can run both a/cs, sat dish an receivers, tvs , sounbar+sub x2, fridge converter and microwave with no issues