What is this device?

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Trading trucks and replacement has a red rectangular plug below bumper which appears to have large gauge battery wires running to it. Anyone know what it is and what it is for?

jnbhobe

Trading trucks and replacement has a red rectangular plug below bumper which appears to have large gauge battery wires running to it. Anyone know what it is and what it is for?

Not sure what truck your talking about but it must be a used one. If its like I use its 1/2 of a 200amp quick coupler I use to get power to a 9K winch that fits in the trailer hitch. I have one front and rear and a switch to activate it on the dash. Thats my guess.

GOTTOYS

If it's a two prong plug, It's an aftermarket hookup that is often used to power a snowplow, or you can plug jumper cables in or a winch. They are usually wired directly to the battery and are used to power a high amp draw accessory. I don't think I would want a truck that was used for plowing if that's the case. They really take a beating around here. Just my opinion...Don

jnbhobe

Guys; I doubt if it a plow plug, most of them are brand specific and there are two of them, one for power and one for controls.If the truck has had a plow you should be able to tell by looking at the front frame and see where it was mounted.

lwmcguir

We use that type of plug to jump irrigation engines. Keeps the thieve at bay since they don't steel bad batteries.

hogan

Truck is 05 F350. Plug is under rear bumper. Based on replies, I am guessing hot point for boat trailer winch or car hauler winch. Does anyone ever plug power from truck into coach?

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
To me it sounds like a 110 volt plug in for a electric cold weather eng. block heater.

porthole

Retired
Truck is 05 F350. Plug is under rear bumper. Based on replies, I am guessing hot point for boat trailer winch or car hauler winch. Does anyone ever plug power from truck into coach?

Picture - sure would go a long way towards giving you a hint

Does it look like this?

7043kp2l.gif

These are industrial battery connectors. Used in many applications. We use them on all of our boat trailers with winches.

Typically we have large battery cables running from the engine compartment to the rear bumper, sometimes the front bumper.

I also use the same connector on my motorcycle trailer to feed the battery for the inverter.

If I add an inverter to the Cyclone it will also be able to be supplied by a large battery cable with the connector.

With a large enough inverter and the new truck capable of better then 300 amps there will be "options"

hogan

Will try to get a picture to post tomorrow. It looks very much like the picture you posted and being below the rear bumper, my guess is they had a boat trailer with an electric winch on it. Thanks

porthole

Retired
The battery connector I posted consists of two identical pieces. When when flipped and plugged into each other they allow a quick connect. The picture above has an added handle.
Where the handle is bolted on - the opposite connector would be bolted to your truck. The extra part shown is a dust plug.