Wheel wobble

beasleyrl

I need some help from the more mechanically inclined. When we put our Cyclone back in storage today, Level-up raised the wheels on one side slightly off the ground. No big deal with that - it does that occasionally when the ground is higher on one side than the other. However, as I was walking by, I showed my wife how they spin. Pretty neat huh? Well, the first 2 axles did as I expected - several complete revolutions. On the 3rd (rear) axle, the wheel would spin but I noticed it wobbled as I pushed it. I thought maybe the lug nuts weren't tight so I tried tightening them and they were all tight. So, I raised the other side off the ground. All 3 spun like normal. Is the wobble on this 1 wheel a sign of a bearing issue? If not, what else should I look at? I had the bearings repacked last December, but we do put a few miles on the rig...

jnbhobe

If you grab both sides of the tire is there any wobble??? or only when you spin it. If only when you spin it I would look at the tires first then look for a bent wheel. How far is it out of round??

beasleyrl

If you grab both sides of the tire is there any wobble??? or only when you spin it. If only when you spin it I would look at the tires first then look for a bent wheel. How far is it out of round??

Sorry. I should have been clearer on the original post. It isn't out of round. It happens when you push/pull on either side of the tire.

jnbhobe

Sorry. I should have been clearer on the original post. It isn't out of round. It happens when you push/pull on either side of the tire.

Then you should be looking for a bearing problem !! How bad is it?? May be just a little loose. But I would pull it apart if its bad just too be sure, there may be no damage at all, Better safe than broke down along the road. Not a hard job with the Level-Up

beasleyrl

Then you should be looking for a bearing problem !! How bad is it?? May be just a little loose. But I would pull it apart if its bad just too be sure, there may be no damage at all, Better safe than broke down along the road. Not a hard job with the Level-Up

Thanks. It wobbles a lot. Probably an inch or 2 push from the outside of the tire. I've never done anything personally with the bearings. Is that safe for a "lay" person to do? I don't mind getting my hands dirty but messing with the wheels scares me a little.

jnbhobe

Thanks. It wobbles a lot. Probably an inch or 2 push from the outside of the tire. I've never done anything personally with the bearings. Is that safe for a "lay" person to do? I don't mind getting my hands dirty but messing with the wheels scares me a little.

Well it sounds like an inner bearing that would mean replacing both the inner and outer bearings and seal. Not a big job to me. You would have to drive out the races and pack the new bearings and install a new seal. If you are not happy doing that I would try to find someone close to do the job. Any garage can pack the bearings they are the same as a RWD car. Just don't try to drive it very far or fast. May as well repack all the bearings at the same time!!!

caissiel

If the wheel is that loose I dought that the nut would still be tight, because a bad bearing will loosen the outer races on the inside hub bore.
A failed outer bearing will weld the inner race to the shaft. Then the nut will still be tight on the inner race.

jnbhobe

The spindle nut may not have moved at all, the locking tab probably held it in place, especially if its the inner bearing. I have one apart now that I had to torch the race off the spindle. You'll know when you start to take it apart. Beasleyrl you should probably not try it yourself find a garage close by. JON