Window tint

Flooringit

With how hard it is to keep a 44ft rv cool I was thinking of putting ceramic window tint on my windows. Has anyone done that yet? I know it helps a bunch on my truck windshield. I figured it would help a bunch on keeping the sun rays out and make it easier to cool down the rv. Also I am needing to replace the ac unit in the main room was wondering if it's worth the extra 120 to upgrade from 13500 to 15000 ? I am gonna be living in the trailer while I build so I thought maybe even put a high effeicney one in. Didn't know if it would make that big a difference ?

BusManRG

There was a thread about this just a few weeks ago. If you do a search, I believe it was Travel Tiger who put the ceramic coating on her windows. I remember because I thought it was a great solution and have it on my list of future upgrades. The improvement was tremendous. They were a couple of owners who had used different products and they were comparing success stories. Both of them were worth noting.

Sandy

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It wasn't me, I used a low cost cling film, and did it myself. I can't say it made a huge difference. There were others that had professional window film installed, maybe they will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

I'm no expert on window tinting but I know there's some real concern for overheating the glass due to the heat absorption rate of some films.

I copied the excerpt below from this website. I understand that most double-pane windows that get film tinted, are in residential homes and those windows have a gas between the panes, whereas RV double-pane windows have plain air between them. How RV double-pane windows react to film tinting versus a residential double-pane window - I do not know.

I'd seek guidance from a company that specializes in home window film tinting.

How to Choose a Safe Window Film for Double-Pane Windows

As mentioned earlier, Panorama is confident its films are safe. The company will take over a window manufacturer’s warranty if needed. The products we install won’t harm your windows. They will only add beauty and function.
You can choose various levels of tints and reflectivity. If you want a decorative film, we offer a variety from which to choose. To preserve the original look of your windows, choose a film with little tint. You may not see these films, but you’ll notice the benefits. The film will block heat, glare and ultraviolet light.
You should not apply certain types of film to double-pane windows. When choosing window tinting for double-pane windows, consider how much heat the film absorbs.
Don’t use films with a solar-heat-absorption rate of 50 percent or higher. They are not safe for double-pane windows.
The following product types should NOT be applied to double-pane windows:

• Natural 20 percent VLT (Variable Light Transmission)
  • Bronze 20 percent VLT
  • Blackout
You should never use automotive film on flat glass. This is true even if the heat absorption rating is less than 50 percent. Automotive films are not the same as the architectural film we use in homes and businesses.

farside291

It was me, I had it installed on my windows and it decreased the temp at the windows by about 25 degrees. I can keep the inside temps in the mid 70s even in 95 degree temps. I can also leave all of my shades open all day long. Even at night, you can see out but not in, even with all of the lights on in the camper. In the 2 months after we had the tint installed we had no issues. Very pleased. Having the front cap insulated since they are changing it after the accident.

Here's a link to the film I had installed. http://northamerica.llumar.com/

avvidclif

It was me, I had it installed on my windows and it decreased the temp at the windows by about 25 degrees. I can keep the inside temps in the mid 70s even in 95 degree temps. I can also leave all of my shades open all day long. Even at night, you can see out but not in, even with all of the lights on in the camper. In the 2 months after we had the tint installed we had no issues. Very pleased. Having the front cap insulated since they are changing it after the accident.

Here's a link to the film I had installed. http://northamerica.llumar.com/

Which film did you use? Car or Home??? Particular style, they have hundreds of choices. I have this huge box I'm trying to cool and it's covered with windows.

farside291

I used Lumar Film ATR 5 and it was a metal based tint with a 66% block. It was automotive film. The CTX -5 has a higher rejection rating but way more expensive. The CTX is ceramic and is signal passing where as the metalized is not.

BusManRG

I used Lumar Film ATR 5 and it was a metal based tint with a 66% block. It was automotive film. The CTX -5 has a higher rejection rating but way more expensive. The CTX is ceramic and is signal passing where as the metalized is not.
Do you have single or dual pane windows? We have single pane as we were advised against the dual pane because of the added weight. Probably should've investigated that more, but too late now! I think the film sounds like a great idea but as Jim B noted, maybe not the best choice for dual pane windows.

Sandy

farside291

We have the single pane windows wishing we had purchased the unit with double pane windows. I think every little bit helps to reduce the heat in the RV during the day. Next purchase will be a topper for the big slide. In the middle of the day you can touch the walls and feel the heat. Not as hot as the windows but still warm to the touch. Keeping everything cool during the morning and into the afternoon is a big key to keeping up with the day time temperatures.