Winegard Traveler - Dish Hopper and Joey System

gsandoe

I have a 2016 LM Madison on order. It is pre-wired for the Winegard Traveler. I am interested in installing the Dish Hopper and two Joeys. If I use the Winegard Traveler is this possible? Also, how would I connect the outside TV to a Joey or a wireless Joey? Is there a cable wiring diagram available?

Thanks,
Greg

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Yes, it is fairly easy to do with 2 to 4 Joeys and 1 Hopper. Attached is a pdf file named "HopperJoeySystem_JobAid.pdf" that has many different diagrams. The one that is the closest diagram is on page 5. Just use a 3 way spliter instead of a 2 way splinter. Also you can place the solo node, tap and splitter behind the UDC, then run a new cable to the third Joey from the UDC. I purchased all of my Dish products from Solid Signal.com.

UPDATE - I just found and added a new diagram that shows wiring for 3 Joeys.

Attachments

• HopperJoeySystem_JobAid.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 68
  • Joey Diagram.pdf
    146.8 KB · Views: 61

gsandoe

Terry:

Thanks for this information. It is what I was looking for. The Madison has a spot in the kitchen area for a TV. There is also a TV for the outside area. Do all coax hookups reside in the UDC?

Greg

jbeletti

Terry:

Thanks for this information. It is what I was looking for. The Madison has a spot in the kitchen area for a TV. There is also a TV for the outside area. Do all coax hookups reside in the UDC?

Greg

In the UDC is the Cable TV input jack and all the Satellite wiring end-points. Unsure if the kitchen TV has a satellite feed. I know typically, the outdoor TV location does not.

If you're handy (running coax, making connectors etc), you can repurpose the cable tv/antenna feeds to the TVs that have no satellite feed to them. But if it were me, rather than repurpose, I'd just run a separate dedicated satellite line to each.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you are using a Hopper with wireless Joeys, there's no need for coax at the tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gsandoe

In the UDC is the Cable TV input jack and all the Satellite wiring end-points. Unsure if the kitchen TV has a satellite feed. I know typically, the outdoor TV location does not.

If you're handy (running coax, making connectors etc), you can repurpose the cable tv/antenna feeds to the TVs that have no satellite feed to them. But if it were me, rather than repurpose, I'd just run a separate dedicated satellite line to each.

Thanks. So this is what I am hearing. There are two satellite feeds pre-wired with coax. These would be the living room and the bedroom. I am thinking that I would hook up a hopper in the living room and wireless Joeys for the kitchen, bedroom, and the outside TV. Any thoughts on that?

Greg

- - - Updated - - -

You beat me to my follow up post where I said I was considering using wireless Joey's. Thanks for confirming this thought process. This might make things much easier if the wireless Joeys work as advertised.

Greg

jbeletti

Thanks. So this is what I am hearing. There are two satellite feeds pre-wired with coax. These would be the living room and the bedroom. I am thinking that I would hook up a hopper in the living room and wireless Joeys for the kitchen, bedroom, and the outside TV. Any thoughts on that?

Greg

- - - Updated - - -

You beat me to my follow up post where I said I was considering using wireless Joey's. Thanks for confirming this thought process. This might make things much easier if the wireless Joeys work as advertised.

Greg

I have no experience with the wireless clients for DTV or DISH but your plan sounds like a great idea to me - wired where you can do so easily and wireless in the other locations.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Greg

- - - Updated - - -

Greg

We use the hopper in the living room and a wireless Joey in the bedroom since our coach doesn't have sat connections in the bedroom. We have a standard dish on a tripod. The system has worked perfectly, as long as the dish is aimed right.

The wireless part of the dish system is not connected to your wifi network to operate, it creates its own. However, if you want to be able to remotely record programs or watch recordings via your phone, etc., you must let the hopper have access to an internet connection (i.e., on your network).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk