Wisconsin Dells, WI - April 2005

jbeletti

UPDATED: Wisconsin Dells, WI - April 2005

Hey all,

Though I'd take advantage of this little spot Jeff created while I was on the road today and post some pics and such.

We're at the Wisconsin Dells KOA right now for their "Cleanup Weekend". We're camping free in exchange for helping cleanup the campground in preparation for the season.

So far so good - albeit a bit cool. Will update later.

Jim

UPDATE 04-30:

Hey gang,

Since we completed out commitment to KOA doing all that raking yesterday, we spent much of today shopping in downtown Wisconsin Dells and looking at other area campgrounds.

It was a pretty cool dy today - doubt it hit much more than 50 degrees. We hit an Ace Hardware and a Dollar General Store to get a few items for the trailer. Figured it would be easier to get Ruby and Emme in the Dollar General Store than getting them by the greeters ar Walmart. Most small stores in tourist trap towns never say anything about a couple tiny Yorkies in a bag on your shoulder. Most don't even notice and the dogs rarely make a peep. They're just happy to be with Mom and Dad and not cooped up in the trailer.

I worked on a few modifications to the trailer today too. I added a 2" grommet in the desktop so I can pass USB cable down into the cabinet below for a printer and scanner later. I used a adjustable hole saw to cut a 2" hole. It worked out well.

I mounted a paper towel holder under the cabinet that is over the sink (picture attached).

I completed the mounting of the PVC sewer hose holder on the roof of the storge compartment. Turns out that on the longest holder that Camping World sells, the mounting flanges don't line up perfectly with the aluminum ceiling joists (floor of the bedroom). So I spanned two of them with a piece of 1/4" plywood and screw the flange into it. Worked out great.

Finally, I installed the Charge Wizard to the converter in the trailer. Heartland uses Progressive Dynamics (PD) converters (110 VAC to 12 VDC). I have the upgrade to the 80 amp unit but Heartland no longer supplies the Charge Wizard (the Wizard provides for better battery charging). I bought the Wizard on sale (~$24) at Camping World. I ended up cutting the cord in order to route it from the battery compartment to the utility area under the trailer where the converter is. I contacted PD earlier in the week to confirm that it was okay to cut and resplice and even add to the wire if needed. They said it was okay to do. The install went well. I ended up unmounting the converter so I could turn it and see the jack on the end in order to plug the Wizard into it. Now I have to read up on the Wizard's operation and make sure I am using it correctly. I have attached a few pictures of this install.

We check out and head home in the morning - dropping our trailer and setting it back up at our seasonal site in Marengo, IL.

Jim

UPDATE: 05-01:

Last day in the Dells! One more mod too. I installed a fire extinguisher in the basement of the trailer on the door side just inside the door on the wall that adjoins the LP gas compartment (picture attached).

As we were packing up camp this morning, it was sort of spitty-rainy. At 11 am, that turned to tiny flakes, then that turned to tiny ice fragments. Not quite hail. It didn't last but it was cold.

As we pulled out of the Dells it was rainy/snowy and for the first 15 minutes on the interstate, it was pretty bad. Then it cleared up and was clear sailing the rest of the way home.

Back at our seasonal site in Marengo, IL, I managed to back in on the 3rd try but not without incident. On the second attempt, I cranked it too hard, too soon and before I noticed, I had the extended hitch scraping the bed cover rail that is mounted to the inside of the bed rails at the top. That was a bummer. Must have been on uneven ground or I need to raise the Reese hitch! On the 3rd attempt, I swung it wide and slow and got it in there. I need a lot of practice before even thinking about backing into a campsite!

Jim

Attachments

• wisconsin_dells_wi_rig_01_04-29-05_lg.jpg
    wisconsin_dells_wi_rig_01_04-29-05_lg.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 63
  • koa_wisconsin_dells_wi_04-29-05_lg.jpg
    koa_wisconsin_dells_wi_04-29-05_lg.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 89
  • wisconsin_dells_wi_nancy_puppies_04-29-05_lg.jpg
    wisconsin_dells_wi_nancy_puppies_04-29-05_lg.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 87
  • trailer_kitchen_paper_towel_holder_lg.jpg
    trailer_kitchen_paper_towel_holder_lg.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 78
  • trailer_desk_grommet_01_lg.jpg
    trailer_desk_grommet_01_lg.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 83
  • trailer_desk_grommet_02_lg.jpg
    trailer_desk_grommet_02_lg.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 52
  • trailer_charge_wizard_01_lg.jpg
    trailer_charge_wizard_01_lg.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 89
  • trailer_charge_wizard_02_lg.jpg
    trailer_charge_wizard_02_lg.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 96
  • trailer_charge_wizard_03_lg.jpg
    trailer_charge_wizard_03_lg.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 100
  • trailer_storage_fire_extinguisher_lg.jpg
    trailer_storage_fire_extinguisher_lg.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

rosco

dell

Hi Jim, Nice looking rig... how did it handle... pulling, backing, etc ..... Does it feel long, large, heavy etc .... Have a great day... how's the space inside ? :)

jbeletti

Coach,

It was nippy. We forgot the dogs sweaters too. Bad parents! Got them in the pile to go out to the trailer now though.

Rosco,

It pulled and handled very well. I am pleased with the pairing. Yes, it does feel large, long and heavy but about right. Was it hard to back? Well lucky me - I requested and received a pull-through site. But, backing it into my space at my seasonal site was another story. Still, I did better (except for the boo-boo) than I did the first time backing it in. I have learned that cranking it hard is not the way to back, unless that is the only choice. If you have the room, a wide sweeping backing turn is best. I'm sure I'll get better (after a hundred times backing it in!).

Check-out my weights.

Jim

JIMnMICK

Fulltimming Workampers
Jim the rig looks GREAT behind the dodge,belive me the more you pull and back it want be long till you will be able to put it anywhere.... Once you get use to pulling a 5er you will not want to pull anything else. Thanks for the updates on you'er adventures . :)