Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2011 BH Axle Disaster

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Print this Post   #1

2011 BH Axle Disaster

As I pulled the BH 3670RL out of storage today for our BIG summer trip, I received error messages from my prodigy indicating a short or overload condition.

I made it the mile home with partial brakes. I looked under the coach and saw bare wires hanging. I called HL customer service and was told this is non-warrantable since "something must have happened while at the storage".

After a little more time under the coach I discovered the problem. The flat metal piece that is welded to the top of the axle (which the springs rest on) had broken off both sides of the rear axles. Here's the pics. I uploaded one of the front also which is not broken, for comparison:

So my entire family has been planning this 10 day long trip for over a month. We are supposed to leave Thursday morning. After 3 months of ownership of this coach, which has been full of problems, I'm real curious to see if Heartland steps up to the plate and takes care of this QUICKLY so we don't miss our trip. It doesn't help that I can't even get the local dealer on the phone for service. I can't pull this thing anywhere, and it's sitting in my driveway partially loaded for vacation.

Heartland, PLEASE HELP ME!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff, Laurie + 2
    2012 Chevy Silverado DRW Classy Conversion
    Air Horns!
    Hensley TS3 Air Hitch
    2011 Big Horn 3670RL
    Member #1695

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: 2011 BH Axle Disaster

That is unfortunate! I hope you can get things fixed so you can take your trip. I would suggest contacting Heartland again and forwarding the pictures to them. I doubt seriously that you will be able to get if fixed in time for your trip unless you take it upon yourself to find a shop that can work on it for you. Most any shop could fix this problem in a short time so you would be able to leave on your trip. I would be sure to contact Heartland and tell them what you are doing and hopefully they will reimburse you for the repair. It does not look like it would take that much to fix but getting it into a dealers shop and back out in time for your trip is highly unlikely.

3. Print this Post   #3

I called Heartland again and they basically washed their hands of it and said, "Call Lippert". I'm furious. I called Lippert, and they asked me to send a bunch of pictures, which I just did, and they will "call me tomorrow once they take a look at them". WHAT???

I asked Heartland to help me escalate the issue with Lippert to get it resolved quickly and they basically told me I'd have to run it up the ladder at Lippert myself.

I'm beyond frustrated right now. I have people flying in from all over the country for this trip...
    Jeff, Laurie + 2
    Air Horns!
    Hensley TS3 Air Hitch
    2011 Big Horn 3670RL
    Member #1695

4. Print this Post   #4

Jeff, I'm sorry for your troubles. This also is very upsetting and we all will be watching. I too have a 2011 3670RL (however, with 7K Lippert axles). This doesn't sound good so far. Good Luck with your troubles. Please keep us posted. Tom
    Tom & Patti
    Lancaster, PA
    RV - 3670 RL
    TV - 3500 HD DW NBS

5. Print this Post   #5

Thanks for the condolences everyone. I'm trying to stay positive. This is a huge blow for our family and I'm really praying that things get straightened out in time. Not so much for me, but due to all the time/planning/expense incurred by others who are attending, counting on us to be there.

I spent a ton (to me) of money on a coach that I custom ordered, INCLUDING the best axles I could buy through Heartland, and now this happens (after a long list of other issues already addressed). This is not what I expected when I wrote that check for a new coach. I'm very patient and understanding, but everyone has a breaking point...
    Jeff, Laurie + 2
    Air Horns!
    Hensley TS3 Air Hitch
    2011 Big Horn 3670RL
    Member #1695

6. Print this Post   #6

Looking at the first picture those springs look a little questionable.
    Ken & Kathy aka TheAmRheins

2009 Landmark Augusta
    2003 Chev 3500 D/A dually

7. Print this Post   #7
    Prolifically Gabby Member JohnDar's Avatar

Bigger question is what would cause that plate to snap like that on a new rig?? Bad weld technique would be my first guess. That or hitting the mother of all potholes. Had that been the case, you'd still be cleaning up inside the rig. Besides Heartland, start calling Lippert.
    Camp Gotchurwallett
    John & Darlene (with feline fuzzbutts Ally, Merlin & Mickey)
    Max the Cat - RIP
    2009 GMC 3500HD SLT CC D/A DRW
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL

H.O.C. #1225

8. Print this Post   #8

Update: Lippert says I need a new axle (duh!). They are going to "try" to ship me one tomorrow, and I "might" have it before the end of the week. But who's going to put it on? The only authorized dealer to do service in my area (General RV) says no way I can get help until sometime next week, they have 47 units they have to get finished before Friday.

I asked the Lippert CS guy about having this one welded and he said they won't pay, and he doesn't recommend welding it either.
    Jeff, Laurie + 2
    Air Horns!
    Hensley TS3 Air Hitch
    2011 Big Horn 3670RL
    Member #1695

9. Print this Post   #9
    Prolifically Gabby Member JohnDar's Avatar

I just noticed in your signature that you have 8000 lb. axles. Did you order it with those? Not that it warrants what happened, just curious. It's a bit of a haul with a shaky brake system, but is there any possibility of your General dealer (I'm assuming it's the Wixom one) could get the Mt. Clemens or Birch Run store to squeeze you in? Good customer PR if they do.
    Camp Gotchurwallett
    John & Darlene (with feline fuzzbutts Ally, Merlin & Mickey)
    Max the Cat - RIP
    2009 GMC 3500HD SLT CC D/A DRW
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL

H.O.C. #1225

10. Print this Post   #10

Yes, I have the 8k axles. Some upgrade, huh?

Talked to a couple mobile welders. When I explained the issue and sent pics, they both said that's a horrible design, and that an axle saddle should be curved on the bottom side to rest on the axle, and welded the whole way around, instead of a flat piece with two tiny points of contact on the side of the axle.

I bought my RV from RVCW in Indiana. At this point I'll do anything to get my coach back on the road. Assuming Lippert gets me an axle by Thursday, I still need to have it put on, and he wouldn't really give me any details about the process entailing that, ie who does it, when, etc.
    Jeff, Laurie + 2
    Air Horns!
    Hensley TS3 Air Hitch
    2011 Big Horn 3670RL
    Member #1695

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast