2015 Goshen Rally - Discussion Thread

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jim as someone that is new to the HOC and the national rallies I appreciate what you are trying to accomplish. This is only my 2nd national and 1st in Goshen. Also as some know I am also a new HOC chapter leader and trying to nail down campgrounds for small rallies (20 units) can be difficult at times if you don't have a relationship with them. So with all that said I know the work load you and your small team have is very heavy and some times a short time frame to get things done. I appreciate all that you do for this club. Sometimes I think some may need to walk in your shoes to see what you have to do to put this on. I personally think you do an awesome job.
On the reservation thing, I lost count how many times it was posted and asked and answered that the process would be different than in the past. So many times I got tired of seeing it but apparently there were some that did not see or did not read your many notices. To those that did not understand all I can do is apologize short of that I don't know.

Again Jo and I both THANK you for all of your hard work. Please feel free to ask if we can do anything to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tracks

Jim, just speaking from my experience trying to register, I had done my homework was prepared and at the computer at 12:45 PM eastern standard time. I never received a notice from Heartland Owners Club concerning registration and the items that needed for the process. At the appointed time I attempted to register and was told I had a password error on four attempts and applied for new passwords which were send instantaneously (apporx. 15-20 Min. later). When I was finally able access the registration the sites that were left had little description and little to no diagram. I for one am not willing to travel roughly 1,000 to a non-descript site for 2 weeks.

Heartland should consider another venue in Indiana which can accommodate more units, like the Northwest section at the Fairgrounds. This would seem evident from registration even to a first timer.

Heartland is good and growing company with a great future this doesn’t reflect well on the company.

Very Disappointed in the hold process!!!!!!!!

Kirk

I wrote this comment because I want to help improve the process and camping experience and Heartland life style. Now I would have reservations about recommending the national rally to a friend in Indiana with this process and venue. Maybe a survey should be conducted of first timers and their experience not the stanch veterans. Aren’t we trying to grow as an organization and product line? I believe a self-evaluation is order to determine are we trying to grow and spread the Heartland life style or are we catering to a core membership.

Just something to think about,

Kirk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Darn - we need that JohnDar humor :) We'll miss you and hope you can make it in 2017.

Thanks, Jim! I'll still be lurking about, dispensing wit & wisdom, along with taking a swallow of prune juice occasionally (to clear my head). ;)

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Hey John.....are you going to add any fiber to that mixture?......Looking forward to meeting you in Goshen....

kkamshop

Jim, as this rally grows, one option for the Goshen area would be to have other campgrounds act as satellite sites. There is plenty of parking outside the main rally hall, so folks could drive in for the day's events, come back for the evening. Not the ideal situation, but chapters could all be together and there are several good campgrounds in the area that can easily handle smaller groups. The most difficult part I imagine would be to coordinate the RV maintenance work.

merrie

You bring up good points ,but i have no problem meeting new friends. My underlining concern was getting the same spot because it had good drainage close to certain seminars and easy dog walking in the middle of the night so not to disturb any of my neighbors. So driving 1250 miles i want to make the trip a fun experience without worrying about certain things that i thought i could control. It is going to all good Jim explained it very well so we will deal and have a good time . I wont be at work so it is all good. Thanks for the encouragement.

szewczyk_john

"I believe a self-evaluation is order to determine are we trying to grow and spread the Heartland life style or are we catering to a core membership."

I would like to know exactly what is meant by this statement or question. As a younger member still having to punch a time clock with a family that still has teenaged sons living at home, I like the value of the current venue. It keeps the price down compared to last years at Urbanna. The pre and post days are 40% cheaper alone. I'm sure I'll miss the swimming pool but the wallet will have a few extra bucks in it because the rates are cheaper. My point is that this group is so large now, not everyone is going to be happy. Some are upset about not getting squeezed into the site they had in the past while there are plenty of other sites that are easier to get into and out of with plenty of parking. I actually enjoy campgrounds like the fairgrounds over the overpriced commercially driven private campgrounds. I plan on going to see friends already made, make some new ones, get educated about something, outdoor cooking, reading and relaxing and I can do that in just about any site that my trailer will fit into.

Another thing that is good about the current location is that it is close to the aftermarket and surplus RV stores for those of us that plan to do our own mods. We can purchase our materials at good prices in that area.

tracks

Hi Kirk,

Sorry you won't be joining us this year. You're frustration has been heard.

For anyone reading this,

With regard to the rally venue, it's been important to me and to attendees in the past to be close to Heartland and the supplier base for the benefits that brings to the rally (service work, aftermarket product installations, factory tours, RVMH exhibit tours, Amish Country and more).

As this rally has grown, the venue we've been using since 2006 has not kept up with our growth. As organizers, we need to weigh the value of holding this rally in Elkhart County with the benefit of a more traditional campground. As we've surveyed the area - very little comes up in terms of campgrounds where we can secure 300 sites (preferrably all 50 amp FHU).

Elkhart Campground was considered. Issue there is that their indoor space is too small for this size of rally. Sure, we could rent some tents but I feel the heat may be too oppressive under a tent and rented air conditioning costs between $10k-$20k. I even considered having camping at Elkhart Campground and having all meals, seminars and entertainment at the RVMH a few miles away. Pros and Cons.....

I wish the solution was as simple as just picking another campground. The reality is that there are many factors that go into venue decisions for rallies like this.

This all said, I will gladly accept feedback from anyone who knows of a facility that could host this rally. Kindly email me (click on my username) your ideas. For reference, what I'd look for, "ideally":
  • 300 campsites that are all 50 amp power water and sewer. Preferably on gravel or paved pads
  • Free Wifi
  • An air-conditioned building that we can use as our rally hall that will hold 650 people with space for food buffets and a stage
  • Another indoor space that can be used for our Marketplace
  • Another indoor space (prefer air conditioned) that can be used as a second room for seminars and presentations
  • A suitable outdoor space that can be used for show coaches and a few outdoor vendors
  • 60 minutes or or closer to Elkhart, Indiana so we can
    - continue to offer complimentary minor service work
    - continue to get suppliers and mfrs to the rally to put on technical seminars
I provide the above to all - not to be flippant at all, but only to help everyone wrap their head around the items that need to be considered prior to shooting me your venue nominations.

Thanks to all for your understanding and thanks in advance to anyone who knows of and can nominate a venue that can work for this growing event.

Jim, let me start with I appreciate all you do.

Do you find it acceptable that the entire desired sites in northwest section were gone in less than an hour and most FHU 50 amp site in two hours? Who got those sites? What’s wrong with system and venue? Wouldn’t technicians and venders travel with greater attendance? I’m sure you will find an abundance of help from the great membership.

Bottom line is if it was an easy job anyone would do it. You can do it and that’s why they pay you the big bucks.

Kirk

jassson007

Jim, as this rally grows, one option for the Goshen area would be to have other campgrounds act as satellite sites. There is plenty of parking outside the main rally hall, so folks could drive in for the day's events, come back for the evening. Not the ideal situation, but chapters could all be together and there are several good campgrounds in the area that can easily handle smaller groups. The most difficult part I imagine would be to coordinate the RV maintenance work.

To me this would not be a good idea as you are splitting people up. One reason for us to go is meeting new people. Just my opinion though.

jassson007

I believe a self-evaluation is order to determine are we trying to grow and spread the Heartland life style or are we catering to a core membership.

Just something to think about,

Kirk

You think that he is catering to a core group? Wow I don't see that at all as he has been very open on how and why things are being done for well over a year. Sorry just don't see it myself.

jassson007

"I believe a self-evaluation is order to determine are we trying to grow and spread the Heartland life style or are we catering to a core membership."

I would like to know exactly what is meant by this statement or question. As a younger member still having to punch a time clock with a family that still has teenaged sons living at home, I like the value of the current venue. It keeps the price down compared to last years at Urbanna. The pre and post days are 40% cheaper alone. I'm sure I'll miss the swimming pool but the wallet will have a few extra bucks in it because the rates are cheaper. My point is that this group is so large now, not everyone is going to be happy. Some are upset about not getting squeezed into the site they had in the past while there are plenty of other sites that are easier to get into and out of with plenty of parking. I actually enjoy campgrounds like the fairgrounds over the overpriced commercially driven private campgrounds. I plan on going to see friends already made, make some new ones, get educated about something, outdoor cooking, reading and relaxing and I can do that in just about any site that my trailer will fit into.

Another thing that is good about the current location is that it is close to the aftermarket and surplus RV stores for those of us that plan to do our own mods. We can purchase our materials at good prices in that area.

Huge LIKE!!!!!!!

As my wife said while sitting in the nosebleed seats for the final farewell concert for George Strait "Atleast I'm in the building". She is just happy to be going. lol

Mrsfish

I can only share this newbies experience. Our chapter leader had warned us in advance that we would need several pieces of information during the registration process so we were prepared. We also understood that an email would go out at noon, but you could also use a link that he provided. The same link that had been posted in several locations. As myself and 4 others going to Goshen were attending a meet n greet we did not have wifi so we were a little worried about the data flow. About 10 minutes after the opening bell none of us had received an email yet so we simply went to the registration site via the link. Took about 5 minutes and a couple of attempts as screens kept resetting when we messed up. Bottom line - we were all registered within 30 minutes. About 45 minutes before the emails arrived. We chocked that up to the mystical world of Internet:) (have you ever had a voice mail show up a day later than it was sent?). We don't expect anything but a good time. We know any huge event like this is a logistical nightmare so we are very flexible. After all - we're campers. If anyone knows how to fly by the seat of our pants- it's us. Looking forward to meeting new friends, being in a new area and having new experiences. We view our chapter rallies as our warm and fuzzy gatherings. This is going on vacation with 750 of our closest friends. - you get the point.

btw - this is a 3700 mile round trip for us. None of us have ever driven to this neck of the world, none of us have any expectations and we are so excited we're giddy. I KNOW we will have a good time cause I know we will! sorry this rambled but I just wanted to state that not everyone was unhappy with the process, the trip or the location. Thanks for our future memories.

ILH

Now I feel better as I was lamenting about our 2700 mile round trip.

I'm at just under 1,000 miles round trip - but the best part is that it is broken up with the Ontario rally half-way to Goshen the weekend before. Looks like its going to be back-to-back rallies. I start a new job on March 2nd... I sure hope I get my vacation approved!

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
REMINDER: If there is a tour you would like to attend, but it is SOLD OUT, you may email me or call me and I will put you on a wait list. Please include the TOUR NAME and DAY, YOUR NAME, YOUR PHONE # and HOW MANY TICKETS.

When and if spots become available on your requested tour I will call you to see if you are still interested. I will call people in order of the wait list.

This is NOT AUTOMATIC. It is a manual process, initiated by you contacting me.

MikeR

We will be attending our first Heartland Rally, National or State. Prior to Saturday Feb. 21st, I did a lot of reading on the rally portal. Based on what I read, I knew that I would have to be prepared to get online at 1:00 PM if I wanted to get one of the sites which I had picked out from the maps that had been provided. I did get a reservation for the first site that I had picked. I feel the registration process was easy to follow and accomplish.

By the way my first chosen site was in the Northwest Section.

Maybe a survey should be conducted of first timers and their experience not the stanch veterans. Aren’t we trying to grow as an organization and product line? I believe a self-evaluation is order to determine are we trying to grow and spread the Heartland life style or are we catering to a core membership.

Kirk

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
Thank you Jim to you and your crew for working so hard all year in putting this Venue together. I have put together Venues for large organizations over the past years myself and what I have found is you will never have a process that everyone will be happy with. This is our first time coming to Goshen and I have to say I have read almost all posts that were on the forum from the beginning about when registration was going to begin and how the process was going to be. Our Northeast Region Directors and Chapter leaders for our state always kept us informed and actually the day of the sign up our regional directors had posted in the morning reminding everyone what time and where to go. As I said this is the first year we will be going and personally I am glad they change the process allowing us to select our sites and not leaving it that you kept your sites from previous years which is really not a fair practice to the rest of us especially to new members. My main purpose of going to rallies is about having fun, hanging with my friends and making new friends along the way not where I park my rig. Many people who will be around us I do not know and I am looking forward to meeting them. Isn't that what we are all about.

iowaone

Thanks Jim and Julie the process went fine for this newbie. I too liked being able to select my site. I had about the same experience as Mrs fish. But not from that area.
Gary