A bit of Gypsy or just handy?

ParkIt

When reading posts I often wonder if there is a bit of gypsy in those of us who travel a lot or go full timing, it takes a certain kind of personality to not feel disconnected without a stick built home to return to. There is also something about being "handy" and not getting flustered when something leaks/cracks/fails to work...we grab our tools and fix it (or attempt to) before even thinking about contacting a repair shop or the dealership.

For me, I was raised in a family of generations that built their own houses, boats and campers. One set of Grandparents built homes and campers, the other homes and boats, my Dad built houses, boats and campers so us kids got used to not being in one place very long, as soon as the house was finished they would sell it and we'd live in the camper (and the boat once) while pouring forms for the next house. Our house is the longest place I've ever been in my life (18 years) but the first 6 years I was gone half the year in the RV and I've been wanting out of this house for awhile, now the market is good enough to sell.

This gave me a couple of things in life that I wonder if its easier to let go of a stick built house and really not regret it or if I'm just that way...my brother is the same but my sister isn't. She has to have her house and travel is by plane even if she's gone for a month. My brother bought titled land in Mexico and has been going back and forth for the better part of 15 years, its no big deal for him and his wife.
When it comes down to it I look at our 5th wheel as the foundation and everything else can be modified to what we want or the way we use it, its just not a big deal to me or my husband and we are on pins and needles to get out of the house and full time in the 5th wheel.

Is that gypsy or handy or both? Is anyone else that spends a lot of time in their unit kind of the same way?
It's intriguing to me about how some people are just more flexible when it comes to how they live vs where they live.

Tell your story, I'm curious :)

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Been that way for over thirty years. Fulltiming for eight...DH has built homes, repairs pretty much everything. ..got to be handy and a gypsy for this lifestyle! !

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The RVing bug I got from my grandparents, I suppose, they were members of a local Good Sams chapter and even attended the Good Sams national rally in the 70s.

DH and I have always liked to "go" for our vacations. We've been RVing for 5 years now, (we are in our early 40s), and we have considered full-timing at some point down the road.

For us when we are RVing, the food tastes better, the pace is more relaxed, and the friends we've met through the years are priceless.

We also happen to be hands-on, fix-it types... We enjoy home improvement and tinkering... So no real sweat, we can probably handle most things and we have this great forum to help!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ParkIt

Been that way for over thirty years. Fulltiming for eight...DH has built homes, repairs pretty much everything. ..got to be handy and a gypsy for this lifestyle! !
You have had a few units in the past, looks like you are in a great full time unit - fully loaded! Very nice :)

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
For sure...three pop ups, three TT's and this is our third fiver! The one major issue we had over the years was with suspension...sure you noticed we had IS installed...best thing we did for the longevity of this coach. Has the to last us a long time!