Add shims every time

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The concrete pad may look level to the eye, but it could be off that 1/2 inch or more. You would need to put down a couple of blocks about 6 feet apart and use a 6 foot level to check that.
I have been on concrete pads that were 3 inches off level. So just because it is concrete, don't assume it is level.
Have you looked at your springs? You could have one spring pack getting a little soft.
And what rig do you have? If you have more weight on one side, or multiple slides on one side, that could tilt the trailer a bit.

Peace
Dave

sjs731

We have 3 slides all on the same side and even when we are perfectly level with them in, once they are extended that side of the rig is always a bit low. I always have varying thickness blocks with me just for that.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokeyBare

Trail-Air has a suspension system that uses air bladder on each side of the RV... Called - Center Point Air-Ride Suspension System - they can add for those RVs that are heavy on one side a dual bag system. With increased pressure on the heavy side it allows the RV to be adjusted until its level. Doesn't change the fact that the RV weighs more on one side than then other... but does allow it to be level... when parked on a level surface.

http://www.lci1.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=142:centerpoint&catid=34

Marv

porthole

Retired
We have 3 slides all on the same side and even when we are perfectly level with them in, once they are extended that side of the rig is always a bit low. I always have varying thickness blocks with me just for that.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's to be expected once the slides are cantilevered out.

My level attached to the trailer was set to show "slide out level" before I moved them out.

We have an 09 3670RL BH; recently repalce the leafs on the passanger side after the rear axel slid back on that side traveling through Thornton, Co . Broke that spring and other damage to running gear, shocks and stuff. Any way now we have to add 1 1/2" shim to level up on the side with 3 slides. wife says it still fills unlevel when she walks around. Should we have changed all leaf springs?

Rex

wdk450

I have been dismayed to be in fairly new KOA campgrounds, only to find the pads not quite level. I am wondering if the building codes required they be off level for water drainage.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well I don't think there is a way to tell if the original springs were damaged, other than a visual inspection.
For the cost of a couple of springs, I think that I may have put all new ones on. But then again maybe not.
Having three slides hanging off one side of your rig could put it off level if you leveled it with the slides in. That may be what you are experiencing.
An assortment of leveling blocks could be your friend.

Peace
Dave

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
If a pad is truly level it will hold water and not let it run off. This will ruin a pad due to water. So I would expect that any pad that is pored should have at least some pitch.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Is your 3670 still only equipped with the OEM front electric jacks and the rear stabilizer? This would be a good excuse to invest in a Ground Control jack system and leave the lumber and Leggo's behind. I'm sitting on a dirt/grass site that has a definite slope, but the rig is perfectly level and stable.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
If a pad is truly level it will hold water and not let it run off. This will ruin a pad due to water. So I would expect that any pad that is pored should have at least some pitch.

I used my Grandparents driveway to level the Sundance. It is not level and put me about a 1/2 inch off. On the Big Horn, I used a level on the kitchen floor and fridge. Then put on the level.

My Bro-in-law owns a concrete company and told me that if it don't have a roof over it, then it has to have runoff.

We have aways carried some material to help level up; used to be 2 bys and 2 was to high and 1 wasent enough so we use 1/2" plywood cut into 12 inch squares works pretty good. I am thinking that before my next job, just change out with an up grade in the leaf springs. I think the OEMs are 3000# may need to go to a 4000# set. We have, put a lot of miles on it.
Rex

Wharton

Unless the 1/2" bothers you when in the trailer I wouldn't even bother trying to get it level for any stay under a week.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired

While this is absolutely true, most well pored pads are sloped back to front for drainage and not side to side. anyone who pores a pad with a slope side to side does so in error or because the location can not be sloped back to front. I have also seen where when a side to side drainage is required that the pad had been pored with a crown in the center - making each side perfectly level. Now with all of that said - most camp grounds are not poring these pads to any engineering standards to support 20 tons so many of the pads in questions can tend to settle over time and be "off" level even if they were pored perfectly.

We are in the BH 9 to 10 months a year and stay 4 to 5 weeks for each job so I guess we are full timers. Thanks for the wisdom; I will keep shimming till we get a few weeks at home to go over it real good. Thanks Rex