Awnings Bighorn 3610 RE

Prokat140

Well I posted when we were going to pick up our Bighorn 3610RE from Lazy Days. Unfortunately, we did not take the unit home that weekend. In the inspection process we noticed that the cabinet door ends had not been completely finished. Heartland is making it right by sending new cabinet doors in that should be here this Friday.

I am not happy with their reply on my awnings. My question to those of you that have ordered awnings for you units is how far do the awnings extend past the ends of your slide outs? Mine at the very best extend possibly 2 inches past the slide out and vary to shorter than that. In fact the slide out awning for the bedroom is almost two inches short of covering the entire slide out. Heartland has told Lazy Days that this is acceptable. I do not agree and am fighting with Lazy Days to get at least this one replaced.

I two strong suggestions to any of you purchasing a camper. 1.) Do not schedule the inspection and pickup on a weekend. 2.) Inspect the unit before you sign on the bottom line. Get them to fix all the items before you pay.

I am still sold on the Bighorn, however, they can use a big improvement in their Quality Control Department.

Please let me know what you think is acceptable for the slidout awnings to extend past the end of the slideout. In my mind I am thinking 4 -6 inches to keep most of the rain from coming in on the slideout. Let me know. Thanks Dan Page

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Just my two cents here, but on my current rig and on my last one the slide awnings extended beyond the edge of the slide by maybe an inch at best. I have no problem with that. If the awnings are off center, your dealer can move them.

Peace
Dave

Prokat140

Dave:

I thought of that and asked that it be done, however, I am told by Lazy Days techs that they cannot be moved to center them better because of the striker plate that the awning assembly hits when retracted is mounted on the camper itself. This would have to be moved and all of my striker plates are mounted up against the slide out frame so there is no room left to move.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think they can unwind the reel and slide the awning material in the track on the reel. On the other end there is in a track on the wall, there is a small screw that holds it from sliding. That screw needs to be repositioned.
My trailer is not here right now so I cant go out and look at it, but I think that should work.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you're talking about the width of the slide toppers, it's probably based on standard sizes available. As you can see in the photo, the ones over the bedroom and entertainment center extend to the outer edge of the flange. The awning actually covers the entire box, though. The one over the kitchen slide (center) extends further. I don't have a straight-on photo of the living room slide, but it's about the same as the others. It does not seem to be a problem.

But, it would be my guess that the awning should at least extend to the outer edge of the slide wall flanges, like the two smaller ones on mine. That way they do cover the slide box.

View attachment 12780View attachment 12781

Prokat140

Thanks for your response. I agree with you and would be happy if they all came to the out side edge. Unfortunately, at least on is short of even covering the top of the slideout by at least 1.5 inches and from the outside edge of the slideout flange would be about three and a half inches. Just aggravates me because I'm not sure how a Heartland QA person would let it get out of the factory seeing it.

ihsolutions

It is my understanding that dometic installs these slide toppers on location at Heartland, it is not done by Heartland employees. Mine all cover the slideouts, but not by much. I would not have the expectation that it extends 4-6" beyond the edge of the slideout. I haven't really seen any extend that far.

The purpose is not to keep rain off, though it's nice when they do. It's to keep debris off the slide roof, and maybe to help keep the unit cooler which it seems to do also.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks for your response. I agree with you and would be happy if they all came to the out side edge. Unfortunately, at least on is short of even covering the top of the slideout by at least 1.5 inches and from the outside edge of the slideout flange would be about three and a half inches. Just aggravates me because I'm not sure how a Heartland QA person would let it get out of the factory seeing it.

Maybe some photos and an unhappy customer (polite) write up sent to someone higher up the HL foodchain than the person that answers the phone would get you a better response.