Be cautious at REST AREAs

Slympicins

There may be five guys but there is not five willing to die for their cause. I have been a police officer for over thirty years and it's never the ones you can see that get you. It's the one you don't. You must be aware of your surroundings before during and after you stop anywhere. These thugs are everywhere and have a fair amount of street training to out wit the best of us. One major issue to remember, we must follow the rules for fear of consequences and respond accordingly. They do not fear any consequences which always gives them the first move. Absence is ALWAYS the better part of valor. If it looks and feels troubling, keep moving. Be safe folks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Miltp920

So, i got a PM from someone viewing this thread. They were asking for ideas on how to protect themselves from this type issue. I appreciate everyone that chimed in. I expect they may still be following this thread. Can we give them any other guidance beyond the excellent advice given by all of you so far? They said 38 and 45 are not an option for them.

Busy Market Places -I suggested McDonalds - BurgerKing - Subway They are more plentiful than rest areas and the highway signs tell you where they are.
If it feels unsafe, keep driving and find another place to stop
How about carry wasp spray, it shoots 20 feet - aim for their eyes.
Better to just avoid these REST AREAs - a few retired police told us they attract thugs

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Best advise I would give is if you are traveling in a car stop in a fast food joint to use the rest room and get you a soft drink to go. But then again we still use rest areas but use common sense. If it looks dangerous it is. We don't use the public restrooms in the rest areas and don't stop in them at all at night. Park in an area where you have visibility of your vehicle and the area around it. Don't leave your vehicle unattended.

Slympicins

Wasp spray is not as good as BEAR spray as it has a much longer spray pattern. But neither are a good idea since you can only get one at a time. The best route is to be on the road after 9am and off the road by 4pm. These people are nocturnal and generally don't get out of bed before the crack of noon. If by chance you find yourself traveling at night, even McDonald's BK and the other can be a risk. My Glock is my American Express card as I don't leave the house without it. I do understand that is not an option for some people even if it were, training is everything. The best option is as I said earlier, travel during the day and get off the road early. Park near other RV's or pull in with another as no one knows your not together. (safety in numbers).
If you find you have to stop at night, have a plan when you get out. Don't look like a lamb. Move like you know what your doing.

Slympicins

When working undercover in Miami back in the 90's, we found most tourist were getting attacked because they looked out of place. Which is why I said, have a plan and move smartly.

kirkules

Thank you Miltp920
Us weaponless Canadians have to take a knife to a gun fight (thanks to our gun laws). Guns dont kill people … people kill people !!! .
The winchester layaway plan is the best insurance
We have a Rotti and a bigger yellow lab .
I also want to thank all who chimed in and have left words of experience and wisdom ,
We will be traveling to Havasu this November for the winter and will be sitting on the sidelines reading all threads ..
I thank you all in advance .
Kirk and Cori

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Thank you Miltp920
Us weaponless Canadians have to take a knife to a gun fight (thanks to our gun laws). Guns dont kill people … people kill people !!! .
The winchester layaway plan is the best insurance
We have a Rotti and a bigger yellow lab .
I also want to thank all who chimed in and have left words of experience and wisdom ,
We will be traveling to Havasu this November for the winter and will be sitting on the sidelines reading all threads ..
I thank you all in advance .
Kirk and Cori

Maybe we'll see you in February at the AZ HOC Rally in Tucson?

kirkules

Yes that would be great ,. We are in for all rallies and look forward to new friends and ATV runs in the dessert .
Its time to live the retired way /..
I will have to keep an eye on that rally and try and book a site ..

Lynn1130

It has been said several times here in one way or another and I think it should be repeated. Be aware. I have been accused of being a cop often by people who don't know me. The reason given has been that I am always watching people. Most people walk blindly by problems or purposely ignore them because it is not polite to stare. Don't stare but do pay attention to what the people around you are doing. Smile if they look at you but don't be afraid to watch. When on the street in uniform I was paid to be a "trained observer". I still observe, often. It has kept me from walking into unpleasant situations more than once. You can tell much by the reaction you get if they notice you watching. Are they nervous? Are the aggressive? Do they look away? Body language tells me a lot of things when watching. Don't put yourself in locations or situations that make you a victim.

Carrying some sort of protection is fine but I have said it before. Some do not have the "fight" part of " fight or flight" and if you have never been in a tight situation you don't know which is going to come up. I have seen cops freeze in those situations because training and simulated street fights are not real and the same fears do not come through. And then there is the problem with some who spout bravado only to pull a gun at the wrong time and/or shoot the wrong person (just happened in Phoenix). A few hours of the legal aspects of CCW in a classroom and a couple of hours on the range does not come anywhere near equaling the training police and military go through and we make big time mistakes now and again. So short of "killing them all and letting God sort them out" train yourself to observe. I still sit facing the door when dining in resturants. I am not paranoid I just want to see what comes in and if I should become paranoid.

I have a genuine issue with those that spout that they would do this or they would do that with their gun if threatened. If they have not been there they do not know what they would do. Some have been there and generally they are the people who will not be telling everyone what they will do. They already lived it and don't need to tell the world.

GOTTOYS

It has been said several times here in one way or another and I think it should be repeated. Be aware. I have been accused of being a cop often by people who don't know me. The reason given has been that I am always watching people. Most people walk blindly by problems or purposely ignore them because it is not polite to stare. Don't stare but do pay attention to what the people around you are doing. Smile if they look at you but don't be afraid to watch. When on the street in uniform I was paid to be a "trained observer". I still observe, often. It has kept me from walking into unpleasant situations more than once. You can tell much by the reaction you get if they notice you watching. Are they nervous? Are the aggressive? Do they look away? Body language tells me a lot of things when watching. Don't put yourself in locations or situations that make you a victim.

Carrying some sort of protection is fine but I have said it before. Some do not have the "fight" part of " fight or flight" and if you have never been in a tight situation you don't know which is going to come up. I have seen cops freeze in those situations because training and simulated street fights are not real and the same fears do not come through. And then there is the problem with some who spout bravado only to pull a gun at the wrong time and/or shoot the wrong person (just happened in Phoenix). A few hours of the legal aspects of CCW in a classroom and a couple of hours on the range does not come anywhere near equaling the training police and military go through and we make big time mistakes now and again. So short of "killing them all and letting God sort them out" train yourself to observe. I still sit facing the door when dining in resturants. I am not paranoid I just want to see what comes in and if I should become paranoid.

I have a genuine issue with those that spout that they would do this or they would do that with their gun if threatened. If they have not been there they do not know what they would do. Some have been there and generally they are the people who will not be telling everyone what they will do. They already lived it and don't need to tell the world.
Very well stated. I too never sit with my back to the door in a public place. Having witnessed three robberies of businesses while I was there, I am very careful where I go and where I sit. Not nervous, just aware and careful....Don

JanAndBill

Very well stated. I too never sit with my back to the door in a public place. Having witnessed three robberies of businesses while I was there, I am very careful where I go and where I sit. Not nervous, just aware and careful....Don

Thank you Lynn & Dan I thought I was being paranoid for not sitting with my back to the door.

RottsNScotts

I have been traveling for years by myself to dog shows all over the US. Besides also being a retired Police Officer, if I have had to stop at a rest stop, one of the Rottweilers ALWAYS went to the rest room with me! And the other women in the restroom was always very glad to see him! We walked more than one lady to her car...Guess I should have charged rent.

But even if I had one of my Scotties out, between the two of us, no one was going to be very successful sneaking up on us or catching us unaware.

Slympicins

I could not have said that better. Having a CCW (Carry Concealed Weapon) gives one the basic information necessary to carry a firearm. It does not give any tacticle advantage or training. Try sitting with your back to the wall and watch people. Like Lynn 1130 said, don't stare, just watch and observe.

pegmikef

Thank you Lynn & Dan I thought I was being paranoid for not sitting with my back to the door.

This is a little off subject, but when I was a young soldier stationed in Livorno (Leghorn), Italy we often visited a waterfront bar frequented mostly by American merchant marines and soldiers from Camp Darby and a few Italian locals. I often had a beer or two with a particular merchant marine and whenever he was in town he always went to a lot of trouble to make sure he took a seat with his back to a wall period . . . otherwise he would stand until one became available or go to a different bar (port town water front, a lot of bars). I asked him one day what the paranoia was and he told me a story about one of his buddies in some bar at a different port getting stabbed in the back by some local that just ran in the door, when right to the guy and stabbed him. The guy was immediately subdued by the other patrons and no one knew him including the victim (who survived). When the carabineri came and questioned him it was learned that he thought that the victim was the guy his wife was cheating with because his shirt was the same color as the one worn by the guy he saw leaving his apartment just a little earlier. To this day I try to sit with my back protected in public places.

Slympicins

A perfect bar or restaurant should be round, no windows and one door in one quarter of the circle. I would feel very comfortable there. Lol

Jim.Allison

RV=Big red X=rob me!!!

Interstate hwy is populated by criminals and many do not know it. LEOs know. But people dont. If you don't have some kind of weapon, get one! I prefer "bear spray". But I also keep 12 ga handy. My 1911's in 45 and 40sw are just too difficult to carry outside the Republic of Texas. Never let a criminal take you anywhere. IMHO, if you are going to shoot me, do it here, not in the woods.

Last edited:

caissiel

If I believed what I read on here I would be afraid to get out of the house. There are much more home robberies then highway problems.
The truckers carry much more value then I. And i never worry about anyone attacking me at a rest areas.
I carry just enough cash for my tolls. But I do have friends that will carry $4000 cash which is absolutely crazy.
I travel with my RV or car and stop when I need to.

buddyboy

So, bad guys can now read that your friends carry 4k in cash. Look, bad people don't work on facts, but on perception. They see all of us cruising around in our TVs pulling these RVs and think that they've heard that these people carry cash, jewelry, etc with them. Now you're a target.

Just stay aware of your surroundings no matter where you are - that's all everyone is saying.

Birchwood

We stop at rest areas up and down the eastern seaboard when required.Always feel safe and my wife and I usually go our separate ways without hesitation.Things can happen anywhere but 99.99% of the time nothing happens.I hope I never get to the stage where I am thinking someone is out to get me like many of you folks seem to believe.