Be cautious at REST AREAs

Slympicins

From what I'm reading hear there are several current or retired police officers offering up some real good advice. We don't think doom and gloom all day. We just know what to look for and can see problems before the become one. Interestingly when these alfa hotels see us looking, they know too and leave.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

SilverRhino

Being cautious and aware does not equal "Doom & Gloom" ....... It's called common sense and personal safety in my opinion! Thanks for all the good advice from our law enforcement members and thank you for your service.

Travel Safe & Smart!

Bobby A

Being cautious and aware does not equal "Doom & Gloom" ....... It's called common sense and personal safety in my opinion! Thanks for all the good advice from our law enforcement members and thank you for your service.

Travel Safe & Smart!

X2 hear, thanks for the wonderful topic, it will make me more aware after reading this thread, as we will be traveling 1200 miles south on I75 to Florida, we do stop at rest areas when we have to. I will be much more aware NOW !! Thanks again,

Slympicins

Stop at the Flying J on I-75 around mile marker 2/3 just before you hit Florida. Florida's fuel goes up real quick once your over the FLGA line. Lots of room to get your rig around. I stopped there numerous times.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just to kind of summarize...The bottom line is not to be paranoid but be aware. Do not walk around looking at your cellphone texting, keep your eyes moving looking at what is going on around you. In this day and time of crime and terrorists on the move you never know who you might run across. Most criminals I have ever dealt with chose the victim because they were an easy target. If you walk with a purpose and have situational awareness you should be fine. But remember if it doesn't feel right more than likely it isn't. Safe and happy travels.

Slympicins

Just to kind of summarize...The bottom line is not to be paranoid but be aware. Do not walk around looking at your cellphone texting, keep your eyes moving looking at what is going on around you. In this day and time of crime and terrorists on the move you never know who you might run across. Most criminals I have ever dealt with chose the victim because they were an easy target. If you walk with a purpose and have situational awareness you should be fine. But remember if it doesn't feel right more than likely it isn't. Safe and happy travels.
That's it in simplified terms.

Miltp920

i just read using wasp spray can be a federal offense. i guess it can be considered a deadly weapon. who knew...best advice be cautious, don't live in fear, walk with purpose. Thanks to all who contributed to the original intent.

rxbristol

I have a genuine issue with those that spout that they would do this or they would do that with their gun if threatened. If they have not been there they do not know what they would do. Some have been there and generally they are the people who will not be telling everyone what they will do. They already lived it and don't need to tell the world.

I've fired five rounds, under extreme stress, and missed my intended target that was approximately 10 feet away. I learned a valuable lesson that day. I also have the remains of a bullet, that I keep on my desk, to remind me not to take life too seriously that was fired at me and hit a steel pole instead. Fortunately they missed also. But, to quote Winston Churchill, "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."

donr827

Stop at the Flying J on I-75 around mile marker 2/3 just before you hit Florida. Florida's fuel goes up real quick once your over the FLGA line. Lots of room to get your rig around. I stopped there numerous times.

We do the same thing and they have a RV parking area. Very busy and feel safer.
Don

Bohemian

i just read using wasp spray can be a federal offense. i guess it can be considered a deadly weapon. who knew...best advice be cautious, don't live in fear, walk with purpose. Thanks to all who contributed to the original intent.

Often it is intent that counts. If you carry something like wasp spay or a baseball bat with the intent of possibly defending yourself then it may be deemed by the police, court, or jury that you had intent to harm someone. If you carry the same objects for some other legitimate reason, kill a wasp nest in you truck, knock on your tires to see their relative inflations and then just happen to spontaneously use them for self defense without any previous intent you are in a much better legal position. Your story matters. None of this has a universal clear result in any case. Just avoid telling people you are an aggressive paranoid with tendencies to violence. That never helps.

Lynn1130

Just avoid telling people you are an aggressive paranoid with tendencies to violence. That never helps.

That means postings on the Internet such as Facebook, Heartland Owners site and other public pages. The prosecution will certainly search every available location for anything you posted that will bolster the case against you.

RottsNScotts

From what I'm reading hear there are several current or retired police officers offering up some real good advice. We don't think doom and gloom all day. We just know what to look for and can see problems before the become one. Interestingly when these alfa hotels see us looking, they know too and leave.

Isn't it funny how those who are or have been law enforcement can spot "alfa hotels" in a crowd in mere moments AND the aforementioned "alfa hotels" know exactly when they have been spotted and by WHOM! No wonder they leave! LOL

Jim.Allison

Often it is intent that counts. If you carry something like wasp spay or a baseball bat with the intent of possibly defending yourself then it may be deemed by the police, court, or jury that you had intent to harm someone. If you carry the same objects for some other legitimate reason, kill a wasp nest in you truck, knock on your tires to see their relative inflations and then just happen to spontaneously use them for self defense without any previous intent you are in a much better legal position. Your story matters. None of this has a universal clear result in any case. Just avoid telling people you are an aggressive paranoid with tendencies to violence. That never helps.

Take it from a former LEO. NEVER consent to a search without warrant, and never speak to a man with a badge who is asking you about an incident, without your attorney present. I know the "if you have nothing to hide" argument, but that is BS. If you are being questioned, and it is more than name, address, and DOB, and what you saw someone else do, then you need an attorney. What you think you are saying and what you are saying are two very different things. Excited utterances can be used against you, the miranda is only for officers who are questioning you, it is not for what you are volunteering. What you think you did and what you actually did are generally speaking two very different things. Don't be scared to exercise your 5th amendment rights, your attorney will prepare a statement for you. And if you are carrying a weapon, make it the most benign weapon you can find. The very first thing a prosecuting attorney is going to do is accuse you of wanting to harm someone, and that you were looking for trouble when it happened. You baseball bat that has "EQUALIZER" engraved on the side of it will be fully displayed on the evidence table. Same thing with your pearl handled, engraved pistol with Zombie Killer bullets, or a ladies pink handgun. -just saying

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't it funny how those who are or have been law enforcement can spot "alfa hotels" in a crowd in mere moments AND the aforementioned "alfa hotels" know exactly when they have been spotted and by WHOM! No wonder they leave! LOL

Yes this is amazing the almost super intuition that you can gain when working with these people. And when you get to question them, it is even more amazing that you can read every line between their crazy logic. LOL, ditto, It is true that "they know they have been spotted, and they know by whom". If you don't spot it, they will often tell you if you listen.