Cleaned the roof

olcoon

Well, I finally got around to washing the roof of the 5er. After being down in Texas from Jan. to the end of March I knew it would "slightly dusty". Got everything together, hauled it up there & almost fell off! The maple trees were dropping their seeds & there was so much dirt up there a few of them were actually sprouting & had little leaves!!! While we were in Texas we spent about 2 months gate guarding just South of Pleasanton, TX next to I-37. I couldn't believe how the wind blew, a few times I thought a major storm was blowing, but found out that is just "normal" for that area! We had the AC on & with the condensation, a small amount of rain that caliche dust/dirt had really caked on. I thought the roof would never be white again, just a dusty yellow. Well, I went to work with the brush, soap & water & what seemed like days later had it somewhat white. I then took some of Thetford's Rubber Roof Cleaner & Conditioner to it on hands & knees with a scrub brush. After about what seemed like a week I was done. WOW what a difference, almost looked like a new roof! Well got everything cleaned up, picked up & put away & looked down at the ground and night crawlers were all over the place. Now this was during the day, & it was hot. They ain't called night crawlers for nothing, I'm guessing that Missouri night crawlers didn't like that nasty caliche dirt washing into their homes & came to the top! Well, not one to waste the moment, I started gathering them up & went fishing. Gathered up my fishing poles & gear, put some adult beverages (yes I'm old enough, just don't act it!) & headed towards the lake. Had a somewhat enjoyable time, but finally quit & went home. Couldn't figure it out. I'd catch a fish, it would fight for a while then the line would go slack. When I pulled in the line, the fish was still on there, but dead! This happened several times & finally I said the heck with it, picked up, loaded up (NO I wasn't loaded!), threw the rest of the worms in the water & went home. Couldn't figure out why I was catching dead fish, wondered if they all had a heart condition or something?

Well, this morning while eating
breakfast & watching the news on TV they were talking about a somewhat massive fish kill in the area of the lake where I was fishing. Then they had an interview with DNR, & EPA, and they were in the SAME SPOT where I was fishing! I was sure glad I didn't keep any of those fish & ate them! This afternoon there was a follow up report I saw while eating lunch. They were saying that preliminary tests have been done and the fish show the signs of some type of poisoning, and that it' s similar to Caliche Poisoning that has occurred in Texas!!! BTW, the grass near the 5er is starting to turn brown and there are dead birds in the yard, apparently they ate some of the night crawlers I didn't pick up. I've decided not to go fishing for a while & when I do I'm going to a different part of the lake!!!

OK Jim McGee, can I go to George West for the StoryFest next year?

jimtoo

Well,, I'll put it this way,, that might get you in the tryouts.. and it would be good for first timers on our local stage. Don't think you qualify for pro yet. And since your beating down Texas and our caliche, :) it might be a good idea if you didn't show up to try out. If I give this to the folks that do the judging and picking... you might get run out of Texas,,, or at least need to change your name and hide. :)

In case someone wants to come and enjoy a really great story telling festival this is a link.

Jim M

jimtoo

Aw, come on, at least "Dishonorable Mention"???? :angel:

Now think about it.... if you get "Dishonorable Mention",, then everyone will know who you are, cause you would want to standup and wave your hands.... then the stuff might start..:)

We,,, THEY,,, don't take talkin bad about Texas lightly...:) NOW!! If you want to talk about SOMEBODY that the locals or Texan's don't know,, that might be different... like some of the forum members... now not the ones that are from Texas.. but maybe some that talk bad about Texas after they been here.. You know.. some that come to Texas and say it's to windy,, or to hot or ,,, well you know..the ones that talk bad ,,, but always come back next year. Take your pick,,,there are a few from ,,, well ,, UP North of the Red River... :)