Drivers License for towing in CA

jdfishing

I am again hearing talk about CA requiring a special endorsement on a drivers license for towing trailers and they now say it's supposed to be anything over 10,000 lb. I also heard CHP is having a field day on I-5 around Redding writing tickets for this violation. None of this info can be substantiated by me. I am checking into all of this in case I need to go to DMV and take a test. The last time I checked, DMV sent me home with all the paperwork for a Class A truckers license. I really hate going in there.

bobca1

Have not confirmed yet with anyone in person (or DMV) but from what I found, yes the endorsement is needed with class C. If you are over 15k GVWR then you will need a class A (non commercial).

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/dl648/dl648pt5

On my to-do list this week to get over to DMV and confirm and take the additional test. Based on this info appears will have to take the class C test again too, in addition to class A trailer test.

I am again hearing talk about CA requiring a special endorsement on a drivers license for towing trailers and they now say it's supposed to be anything over 10,000 lb. I also heard CHP is having a field day on I-5 around Redding writing tickets for this violation. None of this info can be substantiated by me. I am checking into all of this in case I need to go to DMV and take a test. The last time I checked, DMV sent me home with all the paperwork for a Class A truckers license. I really hate going in there.

wdk450

Well, if someone is investigating this, PLEASE find out if there is a way for you to drive your rig to the test without the possibility of it being seized because you drove it with an inadequate license. That has been the "Catch 22" of the Non-commercial Class A. Also, what happens to your rig if you possibly fail the test? Where do you come up with a Class A driver to get it home?

Will this cause the big 5th wheel dealers to start informing customers of the DMV license requirement BEFORE completing the sale? I think that should be required by law, as the customer would be breaking the law by towing the rig home (although they would need the rig for the driving test).

I think if the state wants us to all become legal, it should give a year's amnesty to let existing owners get to the test site worry-free.

More incentive to set up residency in another state.

Ladiver

Well, if someone is investigating this, PLEASE find out if there is a way for you to drive your rig to the test without the possibility of it being seized because you drove it with an inadequate license. That has been the "Catch 22" of the Non-commercial Class A. Also, what happens to your rig if you possibly fail the test? Where do you come up with a Class A driver to get it home?

Will this cause the big 5th wheel dealers to start informing customers of the DMV license requirement BEFORE completing the sale? I think that should be required by law, as the customer would be breaking the law by towing the rig home (although they would need the rig for the driving test).

I think if the state wants us to all become legal, it should give a year's amnesty to let existing owners get to the test site worry-free.

More incentive to set up residency in another state.

Yes, the law states a Class C endorsement or non-commercial class A, based on weight. This is not a new law. It has been on the books for quite some time, just rarely enforced. Most LEO's are not familiar with the law and most people do not have the proper licensing. But, ignorance is not a good defense.

I have heard they are cracking down a little bit more if your lifted 3/4 ton is pulling a triple axle 45' overloaded trailer doing 75!

Yes, it is a "Catch-22" and no, DMV doesn't care that it is. When you arrive for the behind the wheel portion, they will ask to see the licensed driver! I had a friend of mine with a commercial class A accompany me (twice...I failed the first time).

Even the DMV workers are not familiar with the process. I had to tell them it is for NON-COMMERCIAL. I finally got this through to the lady administering the written test. The behind the wheel also has a non-commercial version. The guys doing the behind the wheel test don't seem to know this either. I failed the first time because the test administrator required I complete the commercial behind the wheel. I was not prepared for that. I practiced and got prepared, then the second time I was given the non-commercial! Passed with flying colors.

I can go into more detail if you would like, or you can PM me for more info.

Thanks,

Jeff

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
JD, the law reads as follows:

Under 10K...no adendum

10K to 15K...adendum to your class "C"...20 question written test and you not have to take a drive test.

15001# and over requires a drive test. You have to have someone with a CDL drive your rig to DMV. It is a CDL non-commercial with no physical required. You need to find a DMV that is near you to do this test...not all are. I believe that the written test is 100 questions plus the drive test.

BTW, the GVW of your BH is what they look at...NOT the empty weight. If your GVW is 15K or under then its the "C" with the endoresment. 15001# or above is the CDL. This law has been in effect for decades. Most DVM's have no clue what your asking for. I went 3 times to mine and finally gave up.

Ladiver

Based on this info appears will have to take the class C test again too, in addition to class A trailer test.

Yes, you will take a Class C written, a non-commercial Class A written, a non-commercial Class A "Pre-trip Inspection", "Skills Test" and "Behind the Wheel" If you fail anything, the test stops immediately and you go home. I failed during my last skill the first time and was sent home. I think you have to wait 2 days between attempts.

I found out I had to retake Class C test when I was handed the test with my Class A test! I jokingly asked the lady administering the written test what happens if I don't pass the Class C (I have been licensed for 21 years)? She said I get to walk home!!!!!!!! No pressure there.

bobca1

Thanks Jeff, Very helpful info!
I just moved back to CA from PA 2 years ago and had to take the short version of the Class C (20 questions I think) and the full motorcycle written to retain my M1. So still somewhat fresh in my mind. I know DMV allows 3 tries per visit to pass the written M1 test you just have to get back in line... I failed it the first time. So I was assuming the same for this endorsement but now given your update I will have to make sure I study!

I'll have to look for and check the sticker on my Cyclone to confirm the GVWR, if they go by that and not the empty (or loaded) weight then I may be barely over the 15k into class A territory.

Yes, you will take a Class C written, a non-commercial Class A written, a non-commercial Class A "Pre-trip Inspection", "Skills Test" and "Behind the Wheel" If you fail anything, the test stops immediately and you go home. I failed during my last skill the first time and was sent home. I think you have to wait 2 days between attempts.

I found out I had to retake Class C test when I was handed the test with my Class A test! I jokingly asked the lady administering the written test what happens if I don't pass the Class C (I have been licensed for 21 years)? She said I get to walk home!!!!!!!! No pressure there.

bobca1

Thanks Bob!
I am going to DMV this week to do my endorsement. Expecting to take the class C again, and the "Recreational Vehicles and Noncommercial Class A Trailers law test"
Can you claify for me by GVW does this mean what the mfg has provided on the sticker (the rating), or the actual loaded weight? This makes a big difference for me because I would rarely have it loaded over 15k even though the GVWR says 15,500lb (according to HL web site I have to check the sticker). It says GVWR on DMV website so I assume this is what they go by wondering if you have other experience with this.

JD, the law reads as follows:

Under 10K...no adendum

10K to 15K...adendum to your class "C"...20 question written test and you not have to take a drive test.

15001# and over requires a drive test. You have to have someone with a CDL drive your rig to DMV. It is a CDL non-commercial with no physical required. You need to find a DMV that is near you to do this test...not all are. I believe that the written test is 100 questions plus the drive test.

BTW, the GVW of your BH is what they look at...NOT the empty weight. If your GVW is 15K or under then its the "C" with the endoresment. 15001# or above is the CDL. This law has been in effect for decades. Most DVM's have no clue what your asking for. I went 3 times to mine and finally gave up.

Ladiver

Thanks Bob!
I am going to DMV this week to do my endorsement. Expecting to take the class C again, and the "Recreational Vehicles and Noncommercial Class A Trailers law test"
Can you claify for me by GVW does this mean what the mfg has provided on the sticker (the rating), or the actual loaded weight? This makes a big difference for me because I would rarely have it loaded over 15k even though the GVWR says 15,500lb (according to HL web site I have to check the sticker). It says GVWR on DMV website so I assume this is what they go by wondering if you have other experience with this.

Yes bobca1, they go by stickered GVWR. What it says on the tags is what they will use.
You will be over by 500 lbs. :-(
I know the feeling, as I have the 3100 (15,500 GVWR)

bobca1

Wonderful... yeah I figured that was the case and so will have to start making plans for my class A. I am going to start with the endorsement on the class C, maybe that will buy me some good faith if I do get stopped, I mean its not like this is a 30k trailer this is a matter of 500lbs

Yes bobca1, they go by stickered GVWR. What it says on the tags is what they will use.
You will be over by 500 lbs. :-(
I know the feeling, as I have the 3100 (15,500 GVWR)

Goodh20

The less known fact is the GCWR over 26001# of the truck and trailer will also require the Non commercial class A. I found that even though my trailer GVWR is 14000# and should not require CDL, my DRW truck GVWR is 13050# for GCWR of 27050# which requires me to have a non commercial class A.

jdfishing

Went to DMV today and was initially met with a blank stare when asking about the Class C endorsement for towing. Finally ended up with the RV and Trailers Handbook, which was located in a backroom and took 5 min. to find. All the info is in the book on license requirements. You can also find the handbook on-line at the CA DMV site. Looks like I will only have to take the Class C endorsement test, since I am under 15,000. Also, since my DL renewed within the last year, I will not have to take the Class C test as part of the towing endorsement process. I have a testing date on April 2. I'll advise how it goes.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Link to Ca. DMV handbook on License requirements.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/dl648/dl648pt2

bobca1

Hi Jeff,
couple more questions if you don't mind:
What does the instructor ask you to demonstrate in the driving test and how long did the test take?
To study for the skills test, pre-trip inspection test did you use the commercial driver license handbook or do they have a different handbook for a non commercial class A. I can't seem to find a non-commercial version on DMV website.

Thanks,
Bob

I can go into more detail if you would like, or you can PM me for more info.

Bob&Patty

Bobca1, answers to your questions. 15001# is the break point for the CDL and if the tag on your trailer says 15500#....thats what your stuck with. No ifs or butts. If a CHP stops you and they know the law, thats is what they will look at. They will also check the GVWR of your TV. I'm not sure about what the other posters statement about the GVW of the total rig. We are not a commercial vehical towing freight for hire. Also sense when do you have to take a drive test for the adendum to your class "C" ?? That not what the CHP said when I asked the question. I really dont know if anyone at the CHP or DMV really know what the laws are.

bobca1

Yeah I understand that the law is the law and 15,001 is the break point. While ignorance is not an excuse there typically is discretion by the officer as to the level of enforcement of any law. If you are driving like a maniac and endangering others good luck with that vs. driving safe and not giving them a reason to pull you over. Anyone have experience or hear stories about the enforcement side - if you are found to lack the correct class or endorsement the OP referred to a ticket is this typical and if so how much is the fine?

Ladiver

Hi Jeff,
couple more questions if you don't mind:
What does the instructor ask you to demonstrate in the driving test and how long did the test take?
To study for the skills test, pre-trip inspection test did you use the commercial driver license handbook or do they have a different handbook for a non commercial class A. I can't seem to find a non-commercial version on DMV website.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob,

The first time I took the test, it was very much the commercial test. The pre-trip inspection followed the commercial guidelines with some deviation for your exact setup (no air-brakes on most pickups). The skills test was right out of the commercial book. With one additional skill added. The additional skill was a cone about 100 feet in-front of you and you had to make a right turn around the cone. The most rear tire had to be within 18 inches of, but not touching the cone. The way I understood it was the instructor could choose any three skills. I had to do the right hand turn, the back in a straight line and the loading dock. I failed the loading dock test.

ClassASkills.jpg

The second attempt was MUCH easier. The pre-trip was a little more in-depth, but still relevant to RV's. I had to back straight, then offset back/right. Then back straight to an imaginary wall (end of campsite) and stop within 3 feet. The last skill allowed you to get out of your truck and check twice.

finally, the behind the wheel portion was pretty easy. The guy said it is more about safety than it is "laws". If you can't safely stop, don't. If you can't safely turn, don't. If you have to use 2 lanes to do it safely, then do so. he said there were really only 2 auto fail events. First one is an accident and the second one is rear tires going over a curb. I think this is a very subjective portion of the test.

See the attached files. I have put a copy of the skills test, as well as the commercial and RV handbooks.

Attachments

• comlhdbk.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 13
  • RV and Trailer Handbookl.pdf
    648.4 KB · Views: 13
  • CA Driver Handbook.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 15

Bob&Patty

Jeff, I know what the test is. I had a CDL for many years as I drove 18 wheelers. The written test is the same for either a non-commercial or a commercial CDL. The drive test is the same. Are you saying that they make you do a "blind" right side backup test?? That would be absurd...no one blind side backs into any place unless you have a spotter. I bet "money,marbles or chalk" no one can do it the first time...including the DMV test person. I only knew one truck driver that could back a set of doubles around a corner and it was not blind side.