Drivers License for towing in CA

jdfishing

To add more confusion to the issue, I spoke to a supervisor at DMV Headquarters about the restriction requirement for towing a 5th wheel between 10,000 - 15,000. I was told an Endorsement is required on the Class C license, but NO TEST IS REQUIRED. The Endorsement is titled Restriction 33. However, my friend just returned from DMV, where he got the endorsement and he was required to take a test and the restriction on his license id titled Restriction (31), not 33. I give up trying to make sense of it. I'll go to DMV and take my chances.

bobca1

If the person you spoke to was talking about a behind-the-wheel driving test then he/she is correct. No additional behind-the-wheel test for class C endorsement but just the additional campers/RV written (law) test. I'm not certain about this but seems like the same written test given to obtain the non-commercial class A. What differentiates the 2 is the extra skills and behind-the-wheel for class A.
The DMV person follows instructions displayed on computer screen to issue the license so once you fill out the DL app and start the process it should be how we describe in this thread.
Good luck :)

To add more confusion to the issue, I spoke to a supervisor at DMV Headquarters about the restriction requirement for towing a 5th wheel between 10,000 - 15,000. I was told an Endorsement is required on the Class C license, but NO TEST IS REQUIRED. The Endorsement is titled Restriction 33. However, my friend just returned from DMV, where he got the endorsement and he was required to take a test and the restriction on his license id titled Restriction (31), not 33. I give up trying to make sense of it. I'll go to DMV and take my chances.

bobca1

It says right on the permit that you must be accompanied at all times by an appropriated licensed driver (class A).
So no, the permit does not let you drive to the test.
My understanding is the instructor will ask to see the licensed driver.
That is why Jeff has kindly offered to help me out.
If you live in or are passing though LA area I can offer to help after May (assuming I pass!).

Bobca 1:
Does the permit let you drive your rig to the driving test?

Since I'm fulltiming, I'm thinking more and more about the South Dakota option. I see a fair number of South Dakota plates in the Thousand Trails I stay at. My California DMV renewal for my 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 just came in the mail - about $400. I just paid over $200 for the 2009 Bighorn's renewal. I could establish residency in South Dakota and become drivers license "legal", too.

Bohemian

If you fail, the licensed driver must drive the test vehicles away as you are not allowed to drive then anymore.

Ladiver

If you fail, the licensed driver must drive the test vehicles away as you are not allowed to drive then anymore.

Not quite. You still retain your permit, so you can drive it away with the licensed driver accompanying you. Don't ask how I know this. :mad:

jdfishing

Had my appnt with DMV for the Class C Endorsement. It was a mess because only one person was familiar with the issue and I didn't talk to her again after the initial check-in. Anyway, I did take the test which is based on the info in the DMV "Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook". This can be downloaded from the DMV website. The test was not in their test computers and had to be printed out by an employee. My new license will read: Restriction 41: Restricted to towing a 5th wheel between 10,000 and 15,000 lbs. So, the bottom line is that in CA., you are required to have this endorsement if towing a 5th wheel between the stated weights. This only applies to CA. residents. For out of state drivers, if you are correctly licensed in your state of residence, then you are fine while driving in CA.

Bohemian

Remember, if you are validly licensed in your state, you are validly licensed in all states. One state can not impose it's licensing requirements on another states validly licensed driver, even when driving in CA.

KAB

Ok here's my latest experience with this. Studied only the RV recreational handbook and passed the written test. That's all you need to study for the class A non commercial written test. Yes, DMV seems a little confused but they got it figured out. You retake the C class and then you take the A class non commercial. I got my permit. This is the easy part.

I called my local DMV test center to see if I needed a class A driver with me for the driving test The lady on the phone said "we're not the police, sir" she said it wouldn't be good if I got pulled over on way to the test but once I got there, they're not the police. To be safe, I grabbed a class A driver anyway and went down there.

No no one ever asked to see my class A driver. You start with the pre trip inspection. I studied hard for that and passed with flying colors. Then the skills test. Passed backing up in a straight line no problem. But then I did what Lavider did. Failed the "back in to a loading dock."99 They put three cones on each side of a very thin lane. Very small space to back into with very little room for error on either side. You get 5 attempts. You have to start 90 degrees to the dock space. I towed a pull behind for 5 years and could put that thing in any spot. Still getting used to my Cyclone 3800 5th wheel (43ft) and how it backs up. So they tell me I could have 5 pull ups. Since they said I had to start 90 degrees I kept pulling back up to 90 degrees start when I failed. After the 3rd pull up I ask the inspector if I have to pull back to 90. He says no pull up forward or anywhere you want. Well, too late. I finally nailed it on the 6th try but ran over the rear cone because I thought I was supposed to back up to yellow line. Darn.

so I talk the walk of shame back to the office. He tells me to practice (he wasn't a bad guy, seemed liked he tried to help me all he could but we just had one major communication issue) and I tell him I can't really practice, all I have is a permit and it's hard to find a class A driver to practice with, let alone bring back there for another test. He told me what the lady on the phone said, that they are not the police (and won't check if I brought a class A driver, although they never actually say they won't. Just that they are not the police and they didn't check.) he did say i could get a ticket on my way down there though if I got pulled over. So I rescheduled for next week and took the trailer to fiesta Island and practiced backing up 90 degrees and used a trash can for a "cone" guideline.

All this to say my local test center doesn't check for class a driver with you and seem very low key about it. But the skills test wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I'm still nervous now even after practicing today. That spot was small and tiny.

rxbristol

I'm sure you'll do well...it's worth it. If you can, get up early and practice again before you go for the test. That's what I did and it helped. I didn't have to do you what did here in Texas--I had to back straight and parallel park the unit.

bobca1

This is great info thanks for letting us know about your testing location. I will be taking my test next week ladiver is meeting me, so if they do ask me for a class A driver I'll be ok. I am just really hoping I don't get hit with the dreaded loading dock test. Well, I'll be practicing it some more this weekend here in the local community college parking lot. In addition to the 2 written tests you described I had to do the motorcycle too to retain that. I got my permit back in April and have been trying to take the driving test but the first time DMV called me day before and canceled 2nd time I had to reschedule for family reasons. Since then I have done about 2500 miles :) most of that has been in NV, AZ, and UT. Glad I have this extra experience now will really help.

alex00

The West Sacramento office seems a little quirkier than what others described. They will make you back the offset backing course even though there is no description in the RV license manual. They also pretend there's a wall extending out of the 90* backing that you cannot cross. They will also require you to have your class A driver check in with you.

I've heard the Yuba City office is much more low key.

For those looking to practice the 90* "alley dock" is a 70 x 70 box with a 12x40 rectangular parking spot at the rear. By far the easiest way I found to do it was center your rig in the middle of the box 90* to the dock. Pull forward until the driver mirror looks even with the 70 foot marker cone.

Without moving backwards crank the wheel hard left all the way then start backing. Find a mark on the ground 10 to 15 feet away from the closer dock cone and aim your triller tires for that. It's hard to get our 40 plus foot trailers in one shot, but they give you two free pull ups at DMV.

As you're backing in the truck and trailer are trying to straighten out. The off door side rear of the trailer may want to continue past straight. At that point keep backing and let it get close to the off door side cones before your pull up. A pull up should get you very close to straight and let you do a simple straight line back.

The rear of the 40 foot dock has a two foot section the trailer back must be in. You get two free looks, so get out and check when you think you're close.

Big parking lots on Sunday mornings make great practice areas. 6 orange cones to lay out the dock and your 70 foot marks are all you really need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wdk450

I have been into the Yuba City DMV office for tag renewals (they have an automatic machine that takes credit cards instead of waiting in line), and I can't see them having the driving area anywhere on their small property for commercial or 5th wheel tests.

rxbristol

I have been into the Yuba City DMV office for tag renewals (they have an automatic machine that takes credit cards instead of waiting in line), and I can't see them having the driving area anywhere on their small property for commercial or 5th wheel tests.

We went on the road and the DMV had set aside a small area on a rarely used side road.

KAB

Ok I practiced the load dock test again today like crazy. I set up a smaller 10 x 30 box. Got it down pretty good as long as I don't stress during test I should be fine. My DMV did not have the 70 foot box. Only the 12 x 40. They told me I had five pull ups and that I couldn't get out and look. There was no 2 foot box I had to stop within. All he said was hit a cone counts as one so pull up and try again. You pull up anywhere to start, but you have to start at 90 degrees and back it in drivers side. I noticed if turn the trailer just a tad while backing to see the trailer wheels drivers side, I can wait until the center of the 3 wheels lines up with the first cone perpendicular. Then cut it hard right and jack knife the trailer pointing it to the box. Trailer just stops and turns. When trailer is almost 90 degrees to your truck turn hard to the left. This got me almost perfect for a one time fit. But mostly it got me so close I could pull up and easily back it in. Then I would line my front trailer wheel with the first cone and it would be perfect distance to back up. But my box was 10 x 30 I practiced with so if it's 40 feet I need to find another Mark.

rxbristol

I found a couple of YouTube videos that helped me a lot--they were for backing a semi. One in particular, unfortunately I cannot find it now, really worked for me. It's hard to describe in writing, but the next time I used the technique, backing was so much easier. So, scout the internet for backing semi-trucks.

wdk450

Ok I practiced the load dock test again today like crazy. I set up a smaller 10 x 30 box. Got it down pretty good as long as I don't stress during test I should be fine. My DMV did not have the 70 foot box. Only the 12 x 40. They told me I had five pull ups and that I couldn't get out and look. There was no 2 foot box I had to stop within. All he said was hit a cone counts as one so pull up and try again. You pull up anywhere to start, but you have to start at 90 degrees and back it in drivers side. I noticed if turn the trailer just a tad while backing to see the trailer wheels drivers side, I can wait until the center of the 3 wheels lines up with the first cone perpendicular. Then cut it hard right and jack knife the trailer pointing it to the box. Trailer just stops and turns. When trailer is almost 90 degrees to your truck turn hard to the left. This got me almost perfect for a one time fit. But mostly it got me so close I could pull up and easily back it in. Then I would line my front trailer wheel with the first cone and it would be perfect distance to back up. But my box was 10 x 30 I practiced with so if it's 40 feet I need to find another Mark.

After reading all of the hoops you are having to jump through, I wonder if the California DMV's attitude is that they WANT all of us big 5th wheel owners to be LEGAL? It almost seems they prefer the status quo, 95% not properly licensed.