EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: CO, Colorado Springs - 07/25/24 to 07/28/24

Added to Calendar: 07/25/24, 07/26/24, 07/27/24, 07/28/24

Heartland RV Marketing

Administrator
Staff member
Who's ready for a Mountain Region HOC Rally!? 🙌 This year, @TheAdventureBones are hosting a Colorado Chapter Rally at the Garden of the Gods RV Resort! There are currently 12 sites reserved with the potential to add more if there is enough interest!

Deluxe Plus, pull-through sites cost $104.15/night plus taxes and fees. Total cost for rally dates will be $346.26 after taxes and group discount!

Event Type
  1. Chapter Rally
Venue Name
Garden of the Gods RV Resort
Venue Contact Name
Jess
Venue Contact Email
gog@rvcoutdoors.com
Venue Contact Phone
719-475-9450
Venue Street Address
3704 West Colorado Avenue
Venue City
Colorado Springs
Venue State / Province
Colorado
Venue Zip Code
Venue Country
  1. United States
Rally Start Date
Jul 25, 2024
Rally End Date
Apr 28, 2024
Number of Sites Held
Site Costs per Night
$104.15
Event Leader
Heartland RV Marketing
Last edited:

taskswap

Suggestion: I think your Contact link is incomplete. You might want to edit the post. It should be
https://heartlandowners.org/conversations/add?to=Heartland RV Marketing

no? (The forum's mini-WYSIWYG editor messes with your link depending on how you paste it.)

For what it's worth. GotG resort is an amazing campground. We de-winterize there every year and it's one of the few campgrounds in the area that I know allow washing your camper while you're parked. There's even a private service that will pressure-wash it for you if you want. It's small, and a bit tight going around corners but the staff is really good about guiding big rigs in. Our favorite sites are the M and N rows, and if they have it available, props to whoever snags M1 or N1 as they have the most space and are easiest to pull in. The D row is shady, but sites are very close together and with slides out you don't have a lot of room on the sides.

This campground is RIGHT at the bottom of the hill from the South entrance to GotG. It's kind of a sleeper campground because the East entrance is the main one (by the visitor center) and gets the most traffic, so it gets really busy. The South entrance usually has very little, and is not only easy to get through but gives you several minutes of driving before you hit the busy area. If you have e-bikes (or can handle a half-mile hill climb from the campground) it's a really nice way to tour the park as well.

If you want a real treat and are up for riding a horse, Academy Riding Stables is very close to the campground and is a really cool ride. They have a permit to take you through the park, but they go on the trails rather than the roads, so you see more of it and hear more of the history than if you just drive through. It's not adults-only (we brought our 9-year-old daughter) but it's more "actually ride the horse" and less "carnival pony ride" so keep that in mind if you're at all nervous. But the horses are very well trained and do the route twice a day so they mostly handle themselves.

This campground has a small but decent arcade for the kiddos so bring quarters if you have kids. Kitty-corner across the street there's an easy walk to Amanda's Mexican Cantina. We go there once every trip. In good weather, get a table outside and you can enjoy the view of the river. It's shady and cool even on hot days. Molcajete is a do-not-miss if you like that kind of thing.

In town, don't miss the Michael Garmin Museum. You may never have heard of this guy - it's not highly publicized. But it is the single most unique museum I've ever seen and we've been to a lot of them. I don't even want to give spoilers by saying what's in there, but it's 100% worth the visit. 100%.

If you like museums, a few exits bank up I-25 is the Colorado Mining Museum. Call ahead if you want to go, they have an incredibly cool 2-STORY steam engine that they start up once a day (if they're still doing that). It's a rare experience and worth a visit if you think mining or big machines are cool. Miramont Castle is also very cool.

This campground is very near the Manitou cliff dwellings which is neat but also small. It's maybe a 1-2 hour stop. Not necessarily a do-not-miss but cool enough to be worth it. Get there early if you can - the parking lot isn't huge and there can be a bit of a wait if it gets busy. It's also obviously very close to Pike's Peak. THAT takes most or all of a day to drive up, especially if there's traffic, so allow time for that if you want to do it. If you don't mind a bit more of a drive, Castlewood Canyon is also pretty unique.

If you aren't from Colorado, take the climate seriously. This is high-plains territory. It's absolutely common for it to be hot during summer days, sometimes pushing 100, but drop to 50 or less overnight. If you're used to eating outdoors at restaurants, always bring a light jacket or sweater even if it's hot when you get there. You may be cold by the time you leave! Also carry Chapstick and water bottles if you aren't from here. You'll dehydrate faster than other places. Go light on the booze, too. If you're from a lower altitude, think of one beer as a "two-fer".

There's lots to do in the area. We live about an hour away here in CO. If anybody wants any particular recommendations I'd be happy to share, just PM me.

Attachments

• horse1.jpeg
    horse1.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 0
  • rainbow.png
    rainbow.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Hi!!! Thank you so much for all of the amazing suggestions! We spent 4 months in summer of 2022 at GoG and had the best time! We did many of the things you suggested and I’m so excited to host a rally there!! The rally sites I requested are in M and N rows so I’m glad you agree those are good sites! We stayed on L row last time. Will you be attending since you live so close? I would love to meet you and hear more from a local :)

taskswap

Sorry, we won't be attending because my wife has a trip planned and I'll be working on a homestead site we have here in CO. Our Milestone will be at that site and we won't want to haul it out, this year anyway. But if the timing works out, I may be able to drop by and say hello to some folks. Let's keep this thread alive as we get closer to the date?