Four out of six landing gear not welded frame bent - Help!

My new Cyclone 2015 4100 which is just over a month old has a over 25 items wrong with it but the one that is the deal breaker is the frame that was bent because the landing gear was not welded. Customer service is saying it is Lippert's (frame maker) fault and they will "fix it". I say that a frame that has been bent can never really be fixed and that if I were to do that it would take at least $15,000 off of my trade in on another.
Really disapointed in the supposedly great customer service and quality of Heartland.
I am just asking for a replacement not my money back.
What do you all think?

jimtoo

Hi wayrip2121,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum.

I don't think any of the landing gear jacks are welded to the frame. Could you post some pictures of the problem and also tell us how they got bent? Did they hang up on a rough road or drag on something? I have never heard of landing gear being bent without the damage being caused by hitting something.

MrRvGypsy

I think a series of pictures would say a thousand words and provide a basis on which to give an opinion. Not trying to minimize your issue but my dealer told me he has had customers argue that the angle the 6-point hydraulic land legs are mounted at is a defect and the customer has not been able to understand that the angle creates better stability.

jbeletti

Level Up brackets are in fact, welded to the frame. Lippert does this before the frames are delivered to Heartland. Then, the legs/jack are bolted onto the brackets.

We really need to hear back from the OP - pictures preferred.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Don, I think that the landing gear mounts are welded to the frame, not the actual hydraulic ram (landing gear/leg).
After re-reading the OP, I wonder how the frame got bent if the landing gear was not welded???
I'm thinkin that in order for the landing gear to cause bending of the frame it would have to be attached to it. Just a thought.
Looking forward to seeing pics.

Peace
Dave

Jim.Allison

I posted on this subject, I don't know why it is not here. I dont think I was critical of Heartland or their suppliers. Perhaps I just did not post after writing it.

My six point is not welded, but it was bolted. But only my front legs are splayed out. I think they are shimmed that way. I have not noticed that the rest are splayed out in anyway. If it is the angle is minut.

If you have a bent frame then there should be other evidence of it. Delamination, Walls that are cracked, doors the do not close. Im curious that a dealer looked at it and agreed that there is a problem and says Lippert will fix it? IF there is such a problem then it seems that I would be upset also. But I don't think Heartland will abandon you. BTW, I had to tighten the bolts on my 6 point as they were not sucked up all the way. I just took a torque wrench and torqued them to the specifications of that hardened bolt. I believe it is a grade 8.

BTW if it is a problem, I don't think that Heartland will be your problem it will be communications. And getting everyone singing off the same sheet of music. Conference calls can help in this area. Keep us informed of the developments.

My new Cyclone 2015 4100 which is just over a month old has a over 25 items wrong with it but the one that is the deal breaker is the frame that was bent because the landing gear was not welded. Customer service is saying it is Lippert's (frame maker) fault and they will "fix it". I say that a frame that has been bent can never really be fixed and that if I were to do that it would take at least $15,000 off of my trade in on another.
Really disapointed in the supposedly great customer service and quality of Heartland.
I am just asking for a replacement not my money back.
What do you all think?

danemayer

What do you all think?
Hi wayrip2121,

Well, since you are asking for opinions, I'm having trouble imagining a bent frame other than perhaps from a collision or severe impact of some type. So to help me and others, some pictures would go a long way toward giving you helpful advice. It also might help if you could tell us just what circumstances led to the frame getting bent. Also, how you've determined the frame is bent and exactly what you mean when you say the landing gear was not welded.

If we understood the situation better, we could better answer your question.

I have had this confirmed by Curtis Trailers (Heartland Dealer)Portland,OR
No wreck no hitting bump or any of that
I have many pics but have only posted once and do not think
i can include attachments yet but will asap
at that point will also put up punch list which makes 4100 a lemon
just for those items.

We have sent Heartland the pics and they have said and acknowledged
that there was no weld on 4 of landing gear.
the middle right one kicked out to outside of trailer when I was leveling it and that is what caused
frame to bend.
oh and yes some doors do not close correctly.

JeromyS

Yikes! Hope heartland makes it right for you. I know they have treated me right beyond warranty on my issues. Granted a bent frame would be nasty. Are they trying to "fix" it or getting you a new unit?

jnbhobe

They straighten frames on cars and trucks all the time. I think it would be a lot easier on a trailer.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on what part of the frame is bent will determine the repair.
If only the flange of the I-beam there will be no problem with taking car of that.
I can see the flange getting bent by the problem you describe.
I doubt the web would get bent.
Doors that are problematic in closing can usually be taken care of by adding or removing shims on a jamb.

Peace
Dave

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
On the doors if it's just a staying latched shut issue, an easy fix is to replace the striker plates with oversized versions, available at the big box stores. Often small items like this are best fixed by we owners . We don't have to worry about it getting done right and we gain confidence in our ability to tackle issues going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I'm still kinda unclear as to what happened. Was the bracket not welded to the frame or the jack itself that came loose? Is the frame twisted or just the lip? IMHO, it would take alot of force to bend a 12" I beam frame. As far as the other items...they can all be repaired. Have you ever bought a NEW house? They all have long punch lists...well at least ours did and it cost alot more that a CY.

As John stated, frames on cars and trucks are straightened all the time. A big rig truck frame shop is where I would want mine fixed. As far as who is at fault...Lippert builds the frames and welds the brackets on. Its also too bad your dealer did not inspect your CY and repair the items that are on your punch list before you took it off the lot. No RV is perfect and they are a rolling earthquake....things will shake loose. Just the nature of the beast. Most things that have accured on our Horn in 7 years, I have repaired in a few minutes with hand tools. It does not bother me because I am having to repair things on our house all the time also.

In closing, I hope you get things fixed and you are happy again. As far as a "lemon Law", most states do not have one on RV's, maybe your does. BTW, talking about legal actions on the forum is a NO-NO.

Good luck Bob

are there any pictures of the bent frame or strut? I picked up my 2015 4100 about 2 months ago and i thought that one of my struts was bent. The ODS middle strut has a pretty big angle outward to it while all the other ones seem pretty straight. I thought that this might be to offset the weight of the living room slide but wasn't sure. I looked at the bracket for that one and there is no damage to it, maybe it was just welded on at the factory at the wrong angle???