How involved is side slideout seal replacement?

NHCelt

Hi. I have two slide seals that require replacement on my 2016 Bighorn...both under warranty but wondering if it is just easier to do it myself as we are traveling and scheduling a repair is a pain.

One is the bulb seal on the kitchen slide and the other is the side sweep seal on the bedroom slide. Issues that caused the wear are resolved, but now just need to wrap it up.

So exactly what is involved and is it a time-consuming job?

Thanks...Celt

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I need to do mine as well. The D or bulb seal is easy. On mine that is held by 2 screws and it slides in a track. I think the sweeper seal is a bit more complicated mostly in that you need to make sure it is installed level. I asked to have mine repaired at the national rally but Heartland considers it a major repair.

dlw930

I've replaced several D seals and one wiper seal. The new D seals above the slide outs need to be caulked along the top edge after installation. As Shortest Straw said, the wiper seal is a bit more complicated due to the adhesive strip and screws that must be removed before the new seal can be installed, time consuming but not difficult. Make sure the new seals you order are the same as the ones you're replacing. Two of my slides use 2 3/4" wide wipers and one slide (bedroom) takes 2" wide wipers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
Lippert has a repair manual that describes the step-by-step on repairing and rigging wall and floor slides. I had to adjust my wall slide and the instructions were a great help...no more canted wardrobe!

dlw930

It it my understanding the the slide has to be pulled out to replace the slide seals on the newer coaches.

dave

I believe the outside seals can be replaced without pulling the slides. I'm not sure about all the inside seals.

jbeletti

I believe the outside seals can be replaced without pulling the slides. I'm not sure about all the inside seals.

On my LM, replacement of the the lower, outer wiper seal in the bedroom slide required the slide room to be pulled out. D-seals as you stated are pretty easy. Wiper seals can be fairly involved. In some cases, as I understand it, the slide room can be jacked up higher than normal to gain access from below to replace some seals. A campground is not ideal for that level of involvement.

NHCelt

Thanks everyone. HR confirm that the slides do not have to be removed....so It appears to be pretty straightforward. Thanks for the replies.