How often to repack wheel bearing.

mdw1003

How often should wheel bearings be repacked? We have a Bighorn 3610 and take it to Florida each winter. Currently have about 10,000 miles on it since new in 2010.

PUG

Pug
Re: How often to repact wheel bearing.

I repack every third year of normal miles which is about 3 to 4 K per year.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

I had a dealer tell me every 5000 miles, and wanted to charge $450 to do it.

I had heard a recommendation of every 10K.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

How often should wheel bearings be repacked? We have a Bighorn 3610 and take it to Florida each winter. Currently have about 10,000 miles on it since new in 2010.

If you haven't done it since the original purchase, I would do the bearings ASAP and replace the OEM seals with higher quality seals. My opinion is every two years should be sufficient. Make sure whoever you have do the bearings are trustworthy folks you've done business with before.

TXTiger

I have been told that this is an annual maintenance issue. I have had my rig just over one year and had the wheel bearings redone last April before I headed out for my second season. I have a triple axel and my dealer charged me about $450.00. My first year I did about 4/5,000 miles. I have already done about 10,000 miles this second season.

danemayer

Dexter and Lippert both recommend annual inspection and repack of bearings (or 12,000 miles).

Attachments

• LIPPERT axle maintenance schedule.pdf
    10.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Dexter Maintenance_Schedule_1-12.pdf
    50.3 KB · Views: 45

GSGRAPE

This will be my 3rd season and had the wheel bearings cleaned and repacked with new seals at a I thought reasonable cost of $250. Also had the wheels balanced. I've heard of horror stories of bearing failure and i didn't want to do that. Nothing worse than having troubles on the road, kind of spoils the day.

porthole

Retired
It is a good thing we don't follow this once a year thing with our vehicles :rolleyes:

Quality bearings, seals and the initial service should be good for many, many thousands of miles and years. I have seen automotive wheel bearing with well over 100K of miles that looked fine.

That said, it seems the 3 things mentioned above are lacking on new trailers - every brand. So if you haven't had it done in 3 years, 10K miles, you might want to do an inspection.

My trailer had MOR/ryde IS and disc brakes installed when new. Last summer I had the "opportunity" to have some work done that required removing the hubs. I had planned on buying new seals and actually doing the bearings last year, Figured after 5 seasons and 20K miles it was time.

Glad I didn't, because the work that was done by MOR/ryde when new was still just as good and did not need any attention.

Bobemuzzy

The bearings should be repacked at the beginning of the season or at lease once a year. It doesn't take much for the grease to break down from the bearing heat and cause problems. I suggest that you make up a emergency travel kit of a set of bearings, seal, seal races, carter pin, bearing grease and grease pump in case you break down on the road. You are a half a?? mechanic can do the repair with out having to order parts. Most important is you can inspect brakes, springs, etc. for excessive wear.

Miltp920

Everyone is saying repacked. My hubs have what I will call a bearing buddy. Aren't they installed to make it easier for us to add grease and save money? Zirk fitting supposed to drive grease to rear bearing and then oouz out of front bearing? My 2014 was built in Jul 2013, so I should be safe until next year, I would hope.

danemayer

Everyone is saying repacked. My hubs have what I will call a bearing buddy. Aren't they installed to make it easier for us to add grease and save money? Zirk fitting supposed to drive grease to rear bearing and then oouz out of front bearing? My 2014 was built in Jul 2013, so I should be safe until next year, I would hope.

The zirk fitting is supposed to make life easier, but there are 2 major issues. 1) you don't know whether the grease is really getting everywhere it needs to get. 2) If you pump too much grease into the fitting, you can dislodge the seal and get grease all over the brakes, making the brakes ineffective and possibly requiring new brakes and drums.