LED under carriage lights

MP_CS

Thought it would be cool to have some lights along the length of the 5er so i installed some blue LED rope lighting along the entire length of the doorside.. Looks pretty cool i think cant wait to get it out of storage ..image.jpg

Jv75353

It really does look very cool! Nice job. What did you attach the lights too? And how did you mount them?

MP_CS

Thanks everyone.. The lights are just standard led rope lights from home depot. There fastened with cable straps to the self tapping screws that hold up the underbelly, i took out one screw at a time and just worked myself along the front, down the length ans across the back. I ran the male plug up into the front storage compartment, i plan on installing an outlet in there at some point.. It was very easy and the concrete floor made it a snap to slip underneath it on a creeper.. I've seen people that just lay them on the ground underneath but thought it would be neat if they were fastened..

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Thanks everyone.. The lights are just standard led rope lights from home depot. There fastened with cable straps to the self tapping screws that hold up the underbelly, i took out one screw at a time and just worked myself along the front, down the length ans across the back. I ran the male plug up into the front storage compartment, i plan on installing an outlet in there at some point.. It was very easy and the concrete floor made it a snap to slip underneath it on a creeper.. I've seen people that just lay them on the ground underneath but thought it would be neat if they were fastened..

I have done the same mod using a clear set on the doorside and a multi color set down the other. 120v plugged into the awning receptacle.
ca73f555e3b8b1b01e80d35e06954bb5.jpg

314d74a26311b8bf6eda247fdd76f9a9.jpg

cfc13e977541aba91d1e430915cd42f8.jpg

Last edited:

Diamondjim

I picked up the idea here and replaced the one feeble running light (step light) with 5 blue truck LED side markers. Found them on eBay for less than $6. Thought it might take me days drilling holes in the I beam frame, not bad at all, 1/8" pilot hole and then larger screw holes. had no self-drilling screws the right size.

Very cool look, the steps seem to be surrounded with blue light and "float". Much better deal, and they're LED's.

MP_CS

I picked up the idea here and replaced the one feeble running light (step light) with 5 blue truck LED side markers. Found them on eBay for less than $6. Thought it might take me days drilling holes in the I beam frame, not bad at all, 1/8" pilot hole and then larger screw holes. had no self-drilling screws the right size.

Very cool look, the steps seem to be surrounded with blue light and "float". Much better deal, and they're LED's.

Great idea... My sundance xlt didn't have a step light, one of the reasons i wanted some sort of light underneath the 5er..

pday1213

Jim,
Can I asky which lights you purchased on eBay? I like your idea of replacing the under step light and this would be a nice mod . Thanks

travelin2

Jim,
Can I asky which lights you purchased on eBay? I like your idea of replacing the under step light and this would be a nice mod . Thanks

Phil,
I'll butt in here to say I bought mine at autozone.
922b804ab0220313a73afed985914637.jpg

2 pack of 4" self stick strips for $10 give or take

Lyle

Diamondjim

Lyle is on to something, with self stick?
I just went on EBay and did a search for blue LED lights. Apparently these were intended for truck side markers.
cf7fa56c14359c686b29adbec8eeeab7.jpg

Not a good picture BUT you get the idea!

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

travelin2

Lyle is on to something, with self stick?
I just went on EBay and did a search for blue LED lights. Apparently these were intended for truck side markers.
cf7fa56c14359c686b29adbec8eeeab7.jpg

Not a good picture BUT you get the idea!

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Hey they work though don't they??

Diamondjim

travilin2 - you asked a question on "Tapatalk" about where I picked up the power for my step lights. Since our Greystone had a single yellow side marker for a step light switched inside, I used the existing wiring/switch to feed 12V power to the LED's. Pretty straight forward (he says after the fact), you may have a little tougher job if your rig does not have something similar. You also have to watch the polarity of with the LED's.

Good luck with your project.

travelin2

travilin2 - you asked a question on "Tapatalk" about where I picked up the power for my step lights. Since our Greystone had a single yellow side marker for a step light switched inside, I used the existing wiring/switch to feed 12V power to the LED's. Pretty straight forward (he says after the fact), you may have a little tougher job if your rig does not have something similar. You also have to watch the polarity of with the LED's.

Good luck with your project.

Diamondjim
Wasn't me but now the answer is here for whom ever did

Lyle

Gtoli

I didn't have a step light from the factory. I had to pull wires from the control center to the underbody for my step and underbelly lights. I re-tasked the old porch light switch for the underbelly lights. I had previously installed new porch and interior light switches on the side of the entertainment center cabinet, it's much easier to turn lights on when walking into a dark trailer. Before I had to dig around in the dark control center cabinet to find the light switch.