MCD Blinds

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We recently upgraded the standard day/night shades to the MCD blinds. While in Elkhart we ordered them through Mastertech RV and then since we were heading to the Dallas TX area had them held in the 'will call' area at the MCD Industries factory in McKinney, Tx. By ordering them in Indiana and picking them up in Texas we saved the sales tax and shipping on them. I then installed the blinds myself. Not hard to install, just time consuming. We like the new look and they operate so much better than the standard pleated day/night shades. BTW both MasterTech RV and MCD Industries were great to deal with. Also MCD does have RV hookups at their factory in McKinney Tx if you want them to do the install.

pegmikef

Funny you should mention that Jim. I have been talking with the nice ladies at MCD and will be taking the BH up in June and I am just going to have the factory install the shades. It will cost a little more (the labor, the shades are the same price). I figure I will make up part of the labor by no shipping costs. They have electric hook ups, but you need to have water in your tank. What did you do with the old shades? Mike

Mrsfish

FYI- we just did this upgrade and ran into a problem. Our 2014 3010re (early 2014 model) valances were not tall enough to house the MCD day/night shade and the side curtains. The valance is basically a 3 x 3 box. The new 3010s that come with the factory MCD also come with a 3 x 5 valance. We had new valances made , but you could order new valances if you wanted from heartland.

pegmikef

FYI- we just did this upgrade and ran into a problem. Our 2014 3010re (early 2014 model) valances were not tall enough to house the MCD day/night shade and the side curtains. The valance is basically a 3 x 3 box. The new 3010s that come with the factory MCD also come with a 3 x 5 valance. We had new valances made , but you could order new valances if you wanted from heartland.

Oops, mine is an early (late June) 2014 3010RE so I better check that. Thanks for the heads up.

jbeletti

We REALLY like the MCD shades in our unit.

Question for those who are adding them afterwards, are you getting the day (black perforated), the night (white) or both?

We use the day shades in the day, but I'm wondering if some people generally only use the night shade.

pegmikef

Question for those who are adding them afterwards, are you getting the day (black perforated), the night (white) or both?

We use the day shades in the day, but I'm wondering if some people generally only use the night shade.

Jim, we plan on getting both except for the windows in the bed slider and there we are just putting in the night shades. BTW it was the walk through your unit at the rally that made up Peggy's mind to get the MCD. Mike

jbeletti

Jim, we plan on getting both except for the windows in the bed slider and there we are just putting in the night shades. BTW it was the walk through your unit at the rally that made up Peggy's mind to get the MCD. Mike

Mike - you know I'm good at helping other people spend their money :) Seriously though, happy to hear your making some personalizations to your Bighorn to really "make it yours" and allow you to maximize your RV lifestyle. That's what it's all about my friend.

So just night shades on the bedroom slide windows - that make sense. I have both day/night shades there and like them but if I was looking for a place to save some money with minimal comfort/function sacrifice, that's a good place to do it.

Thanks Mike and it was great seeing you and Peg this spring. Travel safe.

Mrsfish

Mike and Peg, Jim - we put the day and night shades in our bed slide. In az you're always looking for sun blocking methods. If you are only putting the night shade in the bed slide, the existing valance might work. I again I repeat might. Don't know what the rollers on top measure when only the night shade and then you have to add the room for the side curtain. I guess you could remove the side curtain, but then the light is going to leak from the side. Measure twice, install once. Our error was not noticing the difference in the valances between the pleated shade valance and the MCD valance when we ordered and then the tech who did the job for us didn't bring it to our attention - he just jerry rigged a solution that was unacceptable to us. Hence, the dealer is having new valances built for us to fit the shades including the side curtain (at their cost).

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Jim...our 2013 Landmark came with only night shades in the bedroom. We have both shades in the rest of the coach...would not give up the day shades, we use them alot....they really cut the heat!

MTPockets

We replaced our three large windows with only the night shade. We never used the day shade on the accordion shades. Been In now about two months & really like them. A bit tedious to install in valance, but each shade got easier.

pegmikef

Ann and Rick. Thanks for the info. After reading your post I went out and measured mine. In the living/kitchen area all the valances are five and a half inches, but in the bedroom and the hall window they're only three inches. I called the factory and they told me three inches is sufficient for a single shade, but the duo require four and a half inches. Now I am pondering what to do about the hall and large bedroom windows. Since I am having the factory do the measuring and installation I will probably see what they recommend before I decide.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ann and Rick. Thanks for the info. After reading your post I went out and measured mine. In the living/kitchen area all the valances are five and a half inches, but in the bedroom and the hall window they're only three inches. I called the factory and they told me three inches is sufficient for a single shade, but the duo require four and a half inches. Now I am pondering what to do about the hall and large bedroom windows. Since I am having the factory do the measuring and installation I will probably see what they recommend before I decide.

Mike, just to be clear, is the 5 1/2" the depth from the front of the valance box (the part that sticks out) to the back of the valance box (against the wall)?

Here's a pic, is this the measurement you are referencing?

Depth.jpg

pegmikef

The 5 1/2 inches that he is referring to is the front panel (the part we look at)

This is correct. It is the inside height of the valance from top to the bottom edge (factory said to measure the inside height). Erika, the depth (per your photo) on mine is two and a half inches. According to the installation manual, a two inch depth is required, but there is nothing stated about the heights of the front of the valance for either the single or dual shade mechnisms. I got the info from the factory (and Ann and Rick).

jmgratz

Funny you should mention that Jim. I have been talking with the nice ladies at MCD and will be taking the BH up in June and I am just going to have the factory install the shades. It will cost a little more (the labor, the shades are the same price). I figure I will make up part of the labor by no shipping costs. They have electric hook ups, but you need to have water in your tank. What did you do with the old shades? Mike

Still have the old shades. Don't really know what I will do with them. Any ideas. I know windows vary in size.

jmgratz

We got both as we wanted to have the day to help block out the heat and uv (90 percent blocked). We ended up mounting them on the underside of the top of the valance. I could not believe how the factory mounted the pleated shades. They were just screwed into the wall with no mounting hardware. Screws through the top of the shades. What a joke. Also we only have the top valance and no side panels on our windows. The MCD Blinds were easy to mount as the mounting clips screwed right onto the top valance and the blinds then just snap into the mounting clips. Simple.

TravelTiger

This is correct. It is the inside height of the valance from top to the bottom edge (factory said to measure the inside height). Erika, the depth (per your photo) on mine is two and a half inches. According to the installation manual, a two inch depth is required, but there is nothing stated about the heights of the front of the valance for either the single or dual shade mechnisms. I got the info from the factory (and Ann and Rick).

Ok, since my valences are curved, I'm not sure what to go by for the measurement you are referencing? Or am I still confused?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Ok, since my valences are curved, I'm not sure what to go by for the measurement you are referencing? Or am I still confused?

Ours are 5 1/2 in height and 2 1/2 deep. The MCD day/night have two rollers. One roller is the day shade and the other roller is the night shade. Dual rollers. The other consideration is the shades can come off of the roller on the front of the roller (away from the window) or the back of the roller nearest the window. If you have the side panels then it is better to come off the front of the roller (we were told that) and no side panels come off the back of the roller. Ours come off the back of the roller and they work great.

TravelTiger

Can anyone post a pic of the mountings under the valence? Maybe that would help. Sorry to be so dense!