More about upgrading

StrongJava

Hello!

So I've started researching possible new RVs to upgrade our '08 Bighorn. I'm glad to see Heartland is still using G-rated wheels/tires; I'm amazed at the number of trailers out there using E-rated. Not the kind of margin I'm looking for.

The really high-end rigs come with 8K axles, disc brakes and nicer suspensions. I've read some of the threads here about LM/BH/BC not having those options yet, and I'm in the camp that wonders why. I won't belabor that.

I've read where a number of you have upgraded to the MorRyde IS with disc brakes. What is the ball park cost of that? I see we have MorRyde dealers here in San Antonio, but I don't know if they do the IS installs.

What isn't clear to me from what I've read so far is if the IS/disc brakes would require me to upgrade to 17.5" wheels and H-rates tires? Or, is that irrelevant for the system?

Regardless, have any of you upgraded to the 17.5/H and 8K axles? I've read some opinions that say if it ain't broke... I can see where replacing the suspension/brakes is a no-brainer, but is that there much of a benefit of just the 17.5/H beyond a reduced chance of blow-outs? And for the 8K axles?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

StrongJava

Hi Dan. Thanks for the reply.

Our goal (should we do this) is to stay under 41', and given our full-time lifestyle, more than our current 38' is good (although I need to look at sq footage more). So, the Syracuse has potential, but that is the only floor plan short enough for us.

Hence, why I need to consider other lines and upgrades.

I really appreciate the MSRP spreadsheet and will look for one of those for BH/BC; each of those lines has a model we're considering.

Cheers!

Tim

p.s., have I mentioned how much I like this owners' group?

StrongJava

In talking with MORryde, I now understand the IS better and the associated requirements.

I've read stories where people, even without it, can drive without spilling the dog's water dish or knocking things off the counter. That is NOT our story. If we aren't fully "secured for sea" we will have missile hazards, flooding and cabinet doors coming open.

I understand people like their MORryde IS. I have the LCI EquaFlex installed which I take to be the most basic. How well do the Dexter EZ-Flex work? Are they any better?

Thanks,

Tim

danemayer

In talking with MORryde, I now understand the IS better and the associated requirements.

I've read stories where people, even without it, can drive without spilling the dog's water dish or knocking things off the counter. That is NOT our story. If we aren't fully "secured for sea" we will have missile hazards, flooding and cabinet doors coming open.

I understand people like their MORryde IS. I have the LCI EquaFlex installed which I take to be the most basic. How well do the Dexter EZ-Flex work? Are they any better?

Thanks,

Tim

EquaFlex and EZ-Flex are equivalent.

StrongJava

Looking at them visually, I suspected that might be the case. Even Redwood's Falcon Flex looks to be basically the same.

Are you aware of any real competitors to the MOR/ryde IS? Or other options between the xxFlex level and the IS?

Thanks.

StrongJava

I had come across that just a bit ago. Was going to go back and research more.

Are you one of the people here that has the MOR/ryde IS?

In part, I'm trying to prioritize upgrades, most likely just for a new coach. Not sure I'd spend that kind of money on our '08.

I'm thinking the order, with safety first, should be:
Quality G-Rate tires (if the coach doesn't already have them)
Disc brakes ($2,600 - $3,100)
17.5/H-rated (assuming a 16K or more GVWR coach)
8K axles
MOR/ryde IS or something similar ($3,100 - $3,500, the latter price may include 8K axles)

MobileSuites comes with all this (about $8,500 aftermarket), and now I see part of the justification for their (a lot) higher price!

Tim

danemayer

I have the standard Dexter 7K suspension with heavy duty EZ-Flex and wetbolts and 17.5" Goodyear G114 tires (LR H).

If you want feedback on IS, I'm sure you'll get a lot of very positive comments. There are also past threads discussing IS.

StrongJava

I've read a number of threads about the IS, and I'm clear they would be awesome. Just not sure about paying that much.

May I ask why you've updated the wheels/tires but not the axles?

danemayer

I've read a number of threads about the IS, and I'm clear they would be awesome. Just not sure about paying that much.

May I ask why you've updated the wheels/tires but not the axles?

The stock Goodyear G614 16" tires have a load rating of 3750 lbs at 110 psi. I've had individual wheel weights done twice and at one weigh-in, one wheel/tire was measured at 3550 lbs. I wanted some additional safety margin. The G114 tires are rated at 4805 lbs at 125 psi. I actually run them at 105-110 psi which provides over 4,000 lbs of load capacity.

One might make a similar argument about getting additional safety margin on the axles. But I was more concerned about the tires.

My plan was to replace them at 4 years/40,000 miles. One of my 614s threw a tread about 300 miles short of the destination where I planned to have them replaced. Several thousand dollars in damage. Fortunately, Goodyear paid for body and paint repairs, a new tire, and on-site assistance to replace the failed tire.

StrongJava

I need to find a scale on which I can measure each tire.

I should probably do that in our next move, and then let that help guide my priorities. However, if I get a new rig, all that is out the window.

As always,

Tim

lynndiwagoner

I've towed my BC all over the place with the standard 7K axles and suspension and never had anything bounced around. I did upgrade to the Sailun G rated tires.

StrongJava

What is your GVWR and how would you describe your springs? Do you have any trouble getting things in the cabinets to stay in them?

I agree that G-rated tires are a must on a 16K GVWR trailer. I wrote earlier about my disappointment that so many lines are using E-rated tires even on coaches with a GVWR $16K - $16.5K. I've done the math on a couple of coaches, and the margin is between 1% and 4%. For me, I want at least 5%, preferably 10%. So I'm telling them that, and they are not happy, but I'm looking for brands that are making safer design decisions.

wdk450

MorRyde IS is custom installed, with wheel weighing one of the first steps to your rig. MorRyde IS REMOVES the springs, shackles and equalizers that need ongoing maintenance, and are common points of suspension failure. MorRyde welds crossbeams between the longitudinal I beams, making a SOLID BOX of the frame that prevents I beam sideways rolling that just about destroyed my Bighorn. IS is done with your current wheel setup , I would think you would want to upgrade your wheels/tires (if that is your desire) before going in for the upgrade. Best thing is to call MorRyde ((574) 293-1581) and talk to the service advisers.
When I got my disk brakes upgrade done in 2013 the list price was about $3k, but I got it for $2600 with a Heartland National Rally discount. The IS was in the $4 to 4.5 K list price range with a similar discount. If I had the money and was planning to do these upgrades, I would wait until the June 2017 Heartland National Rally in Goshen, Indiana and go to the rally, get the rally MorRyde discounts, and get the upgrades done at the MorRyde Service Center in Elkhart. If things work out, I will be there for the IS upgrade in 2017 myself.

StrongJava

Hi Bill. Always great to see your comments and experiences.

May I interpret your comments and updates document to imply you don't feel upgraded wheels/tires were essential? I run a 2008 Bighorn too, and find the new springs I put on last fall are still flatter than I think they should be. A friend of mine has a 2010 Bighorn of similar length and his are pretty flat too. He does not have a tremendous amount of stuff in his trailer, and while I have more, I've weighed myself and I am under GVWR. He did update to H-rated tires, and is happy he did.

I've been in email dialogue with Gary at MOR/ryde, and he has been very helpful. Quoted me what I think is a very good price for Goodyear H-rated tires/wheels.

It also sounds like you prioritized the disk brakes higher than anything else in the running gear?

Tim

lynndiwagoner

Looks like GVWR is 15,500. No, I don't have any trouble keeping things in cabinets or drawers closed. I can keep a bar of soap in the shower and it doesn't even fall off the shelf. Also, the standard electric brakes work great. I'm sure the MOR/ryde and disc brakes would be fine if you had the money. Good luck.

jnbhobe

Just keep talking to Gary, He knows his stuff. Disc brakes are the first option to have. IS is next. I did my own brakes but if your going to pay someone make a deal with Gary for the package.

wdk450

Hi Bill. Always great to see your comments and experiences.

May I interpret your comments and updates document to imply you don't feel upgraded wheels/tires were essential? I run a 2008 Bighorn too, and find the new springs I put on last fall are still flatter than I think they should be. A friend of mine has a 2010 Bighorn of similar length and his are pretty flat too. He does not have a tremendous amount of stuff in his trailer, and while I have more, I've weighed myself and I am under GVWR. He did update to H-rated tires, and is happy he did.

When i got the disk brakes done, I had experienced several panic stops in which I barely got the rig stopped. As far as I knew, the original electric brakes were working correctly

I've been in email dialogue with Gary at MOR/ryde, and he has been very helpful. Quoted me what I think is a very good price for Goodyear H-rated tires/wheels.

It also sounds like you prioritized the disk brakes higher than anything else in the running gear?

Tim

When I got the disk brakes done, I had experienced several panic stops in which I barely got the rig stopped. As far as I knew, the original electric brakes were working correctly, but I didn't think the wheels were locking up on a hard stop. After the disk brake install, I evidently had the controller set too high and ground flat spots into my tires. Stopping well was a first priority, but I made the big mistake of going cheap and not getting the IS at the same time. The I beams rolling sideways, that would have been prevented by the MorRyde welded in crossbeams as part of the IS install, cost me about twice what the IS install would have cost.

StrongJava

Thank you all! I too have had some hard stops that were closer than I like.

I am convinced that I won't regret doing disc brakes, IS and H-rated tires. Still is an expensive pill to swallow, and if we buy a new rig this spring, I won't want to wait for the 2017 Heartland National Rally.

But if we don't buy a new coach, I'll consider doing the brakes myself. Actually I'll hopefully have a friend help! If I do upgrades to this coach, it would only be the brakes and maybe to move to 17.5 wheels after another year or so since these tires are pretty new. I'm trying to get information out of the LCI on the Center Point Suspension System which looks like an air bag replacement for the EquaFlex-type equalizers. Does anyone have any experience with this system?

Tim