Rack and Pinion Slide Grease?

Hoosier Wolverine

Is it recommended that the slide rank $ pinion be greased? I spend some time in the salty environment near the ocean and my r $ p is quite rusty.
What type of grease is recommended?

lwmcguir

Grease will attract dirt and the salt as well. Better to use a film type product that don't attract. Might even want to look at cold galvanizing or something like that. If you don't pull it a lot of miles then the grease might work but on the road it picks up a lot of material off the road.

Riverman

I use graphite spray lubricant on mine, but any lube should work. I don't think you need to worry about them picking up road material unless you travel with the slides out! Your mechanism will be tucked in with the slides in the travel position and covered by the underbelly. Ours were starting to rust and making some horrible noises, but all good now.

lwmcguir

Just sitting any grease will pick up dust and where we are we get dust in the slides on the roads as well. (We get dust inside the coach as well) Use something like the graphite that dust/sand/salt wont stick to. I have used graphite as well and it does work good. There are some Teflon sprays that would work also. Just don't use grease.