Refrigerator slide ripped floor

dennych1

Bad end to beautiful week went to close slide and found it didn't close all the way. The reason tore up floor. Moved slide out and one of the rollers fell out from bottom of slide. Was able to close slide and get home. It's always something!!:(:(

wdk450

If you search the forum you will see that this specific complaint has been reported many times. I bought the J38 roller off of E-Bay, temporarily removed the wood trim on front bottom of the slide, used a bottle jack and wood cribbing outside to lift the slide up about 3 inches, and replaced the roller with better screws.

Here is the results page from the E-Bay search: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...roller.TRS0&_nkw=J38+RV+slide+roller&_sacat=0

Piperflyer

If you search the forum you will see that this specific complaint has been reported many times. I bought the J38 roller off of E-Bay, temporarily removed the wood trim on front bottom of the slide, used a bottle jack and wood cribbing outside to lift the slide up about 3 inches, and replaced the roller with better screws.

The ears on all my rollers were cracked and this one broke causing a tare to my floor. Lucky it was an easy fix once Heartland sent me new rollers that I beefed up and flooring that got replaced.

View attachment 54526

dennych1

Looks like it's a top roller that came out. Has anybody replaced a top roller and would like to share experience?
thanks
Dennis

wdk450

Sometimes getting the old screws holding the rollers removed can be a chore. A right angle ratcheting screwdriver is a great help, but if you can grab onto the screw heads, a thin nose-type vicegrip pliers can get it done. I like to replace these screws with hex head screws, as long as the heads don't interfere with the rollers. The hex head screws can be easily removed with an end wrench or ratchet-socket. Remove the E clip and take out the roller from the frame while installing the frame.

Last edited:

dennych1

Sometimes getting the old screws holding the rollers removed can be a chore. A right angle ratcheting screwdriver is a great help, but if you can grab onto the screw heads, a thin nose-type vicegrip pliers can get it done. I like to replace these screws with hex head screws, as long as the heads don't interfere with the rollers. The hex head screws can be easily removed with an end wrench. Remove the E clip and take out the roller from the frame while installing the frame.

Bill putting in new screws how did you manage putting pressure on screws with limited room. Did you get new top rollers from lippert or somewhere else?

Thanks for the help
Dennis

wdk450

Bill putting in new screws how did you manage putting pressure on screws with limited room. Did you get new top rollers from lippert or somewhere else?

Thanks for the help
Dennis

Once the new screws begin to catch on the wood, they will pull themselves down. Lifting the slide with the jack and removing the facia wood gave adequate clearance. I used the old screw holes, maybe a size larger screw. One method using a conventional cross head screw is to take a short screwdriver bit and clamp it into a narrow nose vicegrip plier at a right angle to make your own offset screwdriver with minimal clearance needs.

kbausano

The ears on all my rollers were cracked and this one broke causing a tare to my floor. Lucky it was an easy fix once Heartland sent me new rollers that I beefed up and flooring that got replaced.

View attachment 54526

Do you mind sharing how you “beefed up” your replacement rollers before installing them? We’ve just had our 2nd roller bracket failure, with subsequent flooring damage - so I’m very hesitant to replace without upgrading the bracket strength.
Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piperflyer

Find a good welding shop that can do TIG Welding. Have them run a pass down the inside ear of the new roller bracket, just behind the ends of the roller where the old one broke or cracked. Paint and install. You also could Oxy/Acetylene this, but you got to make sure enough room is left for the roller not to interfere with the bracket. I did this to mine 2 yrs ago and the slides have been in/out at least 200 times since then and no more problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the help
Dennis
Getting at the roller screws is easy. Take the wood flooring off the the slide in front of the stove and frig.

View attachment 60009View attachment 60010

G_S

The only roller that will be a problem is the one under the front of the fridge. It looks like the fridge has to be pulled out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk